okafor may cost us tyus jones

gopherdiehard

Reaction score
every time i read an article on this kid he talks about playing with tyus, but never mentions minnesota in the hunt for him. so my question is if he has no real interest in us what are the odds that hes potentially trashin talkin us to tyus to get him to follow him where he goes?

Worked for the Wild, why not for the Gophers?

I keep hearing about Okafor saying that he and Tyus are looking to play together, but I can't ever recall Tyus saying anything about it. It sounds to me like Jahil is a bit more in love with Tyus than the other way around. But I am just a layman, and really don't know jack about this situation.

I wish someone would just ask Tyus in an interview, "Is Minnesota out of the running if Okafor will not follow you there? Yes or no?" Same thing with Okafor, "Is Minnesota a definite no for you?"

Let's get to the meat and potatoes.

if he wants to play with tyus he better start begging Tubby to offer him ,Okafor talkin about wanting to play with Tyus is a far cry from both of them announcing they are a package deal

I wish someone would just ask Tyus in an interview, "Is Minnesota out of the running if Okafor will not follow you there? Yes or no?" Same thing with Okafor, "Is Minnesota a definite no for you?"

Let's get to the meat and potatoes.

Would be nice to know, but I don't think either would give a real answer.

if he wants to play with tyus he better start begging Tubby to offer him ,Okafor talkin about wanting to play with Tyus is a far cry from both of them announcing they are a package deal

He does have a Gopher offer.

Lol. Okafor does not have to beg to get a Gopher offer.

Okafor may need to beg Duke for an offer though if Tyus is seriously considering them (Unless he has an offer from Duke that rivals doesn't know about).

Okafor may need to beg Duke for an offer though if Tyus is seriously considering them (Unless he has an offer from Duke that rivals doesn't know about).

Agree, Fuzzy. If Okafor is such a stud, he should not need to lean on Tyus to get attention.

This premise is wrong.

If Tyus doesn't stay home (I think there is almost zero chance barring a phenomenal season and at least a Sweet 16 run this year), it will be because he wants to play at one of the college basketball meccas. It won't be to follow another guy.

ESPN recruiting lists the gophers as offering six 2014 prospects ... Okafor is not one of them, maybe winona should inform ESPN that folks down in winona know more about who the Gophs have tendered official offers to than their well connected paid experts. THE SCOUT!

ESPN recruiting lists the gophers as offering six 2014 prospects ... Okafor is not one of them, maybe winona should inform ESPN that folks down in winona know more about who the Gophs have tendered official offers to than their well connected paid experts. THE SCOUT!

Ryan James, who I trust a lot more than ESPN when it comes to local basketball says that Okafor does have an offer & that Okafor told him that he doesn't list us or most of them because got far too many to list. Ryan also pointed out...which seems self evident imo, that if the #1 PF in the nation wants to come to Minnesota or anywhere else there will be a scholarship for him period. The idea that Okafor's not going to come to the U because he doesn't have an offer is preposterous. Tubby's been in contact with Okafor & Tyus has been trying to get him to visit (unsuccessfully). Also, Tyus has said very publicly & on multuple occasions that he & Okafor want to play together. This is not rumor, it's not just Okafor, it's real & it's mutual.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21089567/recruit-two-jones-and-buddy-teaming-up

All you had to do was google to find out that Okafor has an offer from Minnesota. All you had to do was a little research to find out yet you look at one database and decide that must be the final word. As the post above stated Ryan James has also reported this who I will trust with Minnesota basketball recruiting news over anyone on any site.

Also Tyus and Tubby are trying to get Okafor up here for a visit whether it be unofficial or official.

this is not okafor's list it is the gophers list. James is far from infallible although I do not see him as verifying the offer. Yahoo/rivals has okafor list w/o gophers listed. maybe the offer is a big secret that yahoo and espn are not privy to.

this is not okafor's list it is the gophers list. James is far from infallible although I do not see him as verifying the offer. Yahoo/rivals has okafor list w/o gophers listed. maybe the offer is a big secret that yahoo and espn are not privy to.

Or maybe you're wrong and just grasping at straws. THE STOA.

scout.com also has his list of offers including Nebraska no Mn. offer listed. Sounds like a anti-gopher conspiracy

If Okafor and Tyus do indeed decide to play together, it won't be at Minnesota. Top 5 package deals do not come to Minnesota. My purpose really isn't to be a negative Nancy, even though I know I'm coming off as one, but there's just no way. There's just as high of a chance that Tyus and Jahlil go together to Northwestern/DePaul/Notre Dame (Chicago-area schools) as Minnesota.

If Okafor and Tyus do indeed decide to play together, it won't be at Minnesota. Top 5 package deals do not come to Minnesota. My purpose really isn't to be a negative Nancy, even though I know I'm coming off as one, but there's just no way. There's just as high of a chance that Tyus and Jahlil go together to Northwestern/DePaul/Notre Dame (Chicago-area schools) as Minnesota.

Except that MN has better supporting talent than those 3 schools. Especially considering could add Vaughn and Travis to the list too.

That is a UK type recruiting class and team and would make a very strong case for a national title.

Top 5 packages don't come to Minnesota because Minnesota hasn't produced top 5 talent until Tyus. Not saying they'll both come here, I'm just pointing out that your logic for why it wouldn't happen doesn't make much sense. Another reason top 5 package deals don't come to Minnesota is because they rarely even exist to begin with.

If Okafor wants to be a Gopher I have a weird feeling Tubby will find a scholarship for him. Granted he is only the top PF in the nation so its a stretch but I think Tubby could find reasons to justify it. I don't care if ESPN, Yahoo, etc. don't list the Gophers as having made him an offer, he would be welcomed with open arms to the program.

Top 5 packages don't come to Minnesota because Minnesota hasn't produced top 5 talent until Tyus. Not saying they'll both come here, I'm just pointing out that your logic for why it wouldn't happen doesn't make much sense. Another reason top 5 package deals don't come to Minnesota is because they rarely even exist to begin with.

Humphies?

Humphies?

He wasn't a package, he came alone, and was he top5 player? Didn't really follow recruiting back than that closely, so unsure what he was ranked, but I do know he didn't come to Minnesota as part of any top5 package

He wasn't a package, he came alone, and was he top5 player? Didn't really follow recruiting back than that closely, so unsure what he was ranked, but I do know he didn't come to Minnesota as part of any top5 package

He was 15 according to Rivals.

Top Bottom