Redshirts

Skage

Reaction score
If my memory serves me correctly, past redshirts were in street clothes during games. Today, our potential redshirts (C. Buggs & W. Ellenson) were dressed. Is there a change of plans afoot? I could envision a situation where Wally plays due to his slashing/shooting ability. Charles can be an asset too, but I think we currently have multiple players that can do what he does. Just wondering???

If my memory serves me correctly, past redshirts were in street clothes during games. Today, our potential redshirts (C. Buggs & W. Ellenson) were dressed. Is there a change of plans afoot? I could envision a situation where Wally plays due to his slashing/shooting ability. Charles can be an asset too, but I think we currently have multiple players that can do what he does. Just wondering???

Wouldn't read into it. Redshirts have been dressed at times in the past as well (Eliason later in the year, for example). Some have not been (ineligible/injured/other). Until February (or later), plans can always change for any number of reasons... but as for now, I don't think there has been any recent change in plans.

I would be totally fine with burning Wally's redshirt if Oto doesn't find his shot soon. Buggs on the other hand is behind several seniors on the depth chart and I think he could use a year to bulk up.

Unless Wally can shoot 3 s like Hoff I can't see him burning his shirt.

I thought Eliason suited up for every game when he was a redshirt. There's really no reason to hold a redshirt player out of player warmups etc.

Unless Wally can shoot 3 s like Hoff I can't see him burning his shirt.

I find this season very important. If Oto doesn't step up his shooting, it might be worth Wally burning the redshirt. We're going to need all the talent we can get if we want to make a deep run in March.

I find this season very important. If Oto doesn't step up his shooting, it might be worth Wally burning the redshirt. We're going to need all the talent we can get if we want to make a deep run in March.

Need to be patient with Oto. Remember I was the one that said Oto would have a break-out year.:rolleyes:

Of course then again, I also said Bostick would lead the team in scoring his junior year.:banghead:

Must be 'The Curse of Station19'

If my memory serves me correctly, past redshirts were in street clothes during games. Today, our potential redshirts (C. Buggs & W. Ellenson) were dressed. Is there a change of plans afoot?

Shortage of those fancy-looking all-gold warmup jackets?

I have this feeling that if Wally can show that he can hit the three on a consistent basis, he will not redshirt. Right now we do not have anyone that can hit that shot when it is needed and Oto changing his shot should have been completed before the start of the season. If he does not have it down by now it will not be there before this season is done as he will not get the regular additional shots he needs to perfect the shot during the season.

Wally wasn't really known as a dead eye shooter in high school was he? I thought he was more of the slashing/transition type scorer.

Wally wasn't really known as a dead eye shooter in high school was he? I thought he was more of the slashing/transition type scorer.

Wally is an athletic slashing type but he has a very nice jumper. Not like Hoff, but certainly better jumper than Rodney or Coleman. I wouldn't say he is a zone buster or anything like that, but he is smart and has a great work ethic, so who knows where his shot will be, I have seen him play for a year.

That is what will make his brother Henry such a prize, Henry is a great shooter for a 6'10" kid and can nail the 3 pretty consistently.

Henry is an ESPN25 for 2015. I would do anything to keep Wally happy if it enhanced my chances of getting Henry in 2015.

Henry is an ESPN25 for 2015. I would do anything to keep Wally happy if it enhanced my chances of getting Henry in 2015.

Redshirting Wally gives him another year to play with his brother though too.

there ya have it, another example of Tubby knowing more than lots of us.

I don't want to marginalize a year of eligibility... but if Wally can add anything of importance to this team this year we should play him. THIS IS OUR YEAR... I think you throw everything including the kitchen sink into it.

Tubby was on sid yesterday and he said wally just started practicing again. tubby said he would give him this week to see how he looks and there is a good chance he does not redshirt this year. We have a chance to be very good this year not sure why u woulud redshirt him if we have a chance to make some noise. So sounds like a decision at the end of this week on his decision.

As long as sitting out didn't temporarily ruin Wally's shot, I really hope he does not redshirt.

In warm ups during the last game he took a couple jump shots. I can't remember if he made them but I remember thinking he had a really smooth stroke.

We'll know Wally's fate soon.

PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow
Tubby Smith said he'll talk to freshman Wally Ellenson today and "make an announcement soon" on whether to redshirt him. #Gophers

In warm ups during the last game he took a couple jump shots. I can't remember if he made them but I remember thinking he had a really smooth stroke.

Holy Jesus Martha, fuzzy. be careful what you say here.

We'll know Wally's fate soon.

Madtown, a question. Why use the word "fate"?

He will either red shirt, or he won't. I don't understand why that is "fate". It is what is best for Wally and the Gophers. That is what Tubby must decide.

Madtown, a question. Why use the word "fate"?

He will either red shirt, or he won't. I don't understand why that is "fate". It is what is best for Wally and the Gophers. That is what Tubby must decide.

Sorry for the hyperbole Doctor Don. Honestly I wouldn't have typed anything except for the fact the forum makes you add text outside of the quote when using the quote feature.

Sorry for the hyperbole Doctor Don. Honestly I wouldn't have typed anything except for the fact the forum makes you add text outside of the quote when using the quote feature.

I totally and unequivocally, in a repetitious sort of way, am very agreeable with you on that there then.

Top Bottom