USC and South Dakota State...

MaroonGopher

Banned
Reaction score
...Gopher fans -- and more importantly -- Gopher players need to be careful with these two games. Sure, Minnesota has gotten off to a very good start (I would give them a solid B+) , but it's certainly not time to coast into the conference season. Southern Cal and SDSU present significant challenges forthcoming. The Trojans got slapped around by Minnesota last season, but this isn't the same team Minnesota defeated at the Barn in 2011. USC has added several transfers and will be playing at home. No road contest against a team from a power conference should be taken for granted. Yes, the Trojans have three losses and yes I think Minnesota will win, but be careful.

As for the Jackrabbits, I think this is another game that could get tricky. SDSU needs little motivation to get excited to play against Minnesota, especially its best player Nate Wolters. The smooth guard from St. Cloud can go off for 35 points and carry a team on his own. Unlike the game against USC, Minnesota will gave a significant edge in overall athleticism, but turnovers can neutralize that. Take care of the ball against SDSU, and Minnesota wins.

In the end, the Gophers will be favored in it'stheir remaining pre-conference games, but it would not shock the world if SC or SDSU keeps the Gophs within a single possession.

USC is te only team I'm concerned about for the non conf. Sdsu has a single player that can hurt a team. Sdsu has not looked good this year and I don't see how they hang within 20 PTs of minny

USC is te only team I'm concerned about for the non conf. Sdsu has a single player that can hurt a team. Sdsu has not looked good this year and I don't see how they hang within 20 PTs of minny

Especially if Mav rips up Wolters again on D like he did last time. ;)

Illinois was beating USC by 31 at halftime in Maui. Apparently the Illini were shooting very well, and it was a neutral site game, whereas our game with the Trojans is a true road game for the Gophers, but I'm still not especially worried about that game. Still, it is probably the most compelling game left on the schedule before we open conference play against Michigan State, but I don't believe it will be televised here.

I've heard as much talk about this Wolter's guy this year on this site than any of our Gopher players. I don't doubt that he's good and potentially NBA bound, therefore I would like nothing more than for an Austin Hollins to shut him down completely like he did with Snaer from FSU. Will Austin be guarding Wolters?, or will that be an Andre assignment.

Madman, I would expect Austin to take him on.

I am not worried about the outcome of either game, Gophers should wax the floor with both SDSU and USC. Also, players don't have the luxury of "overlooking" games, the same goes for the coaching staff.

SDSU is a much better team than USC is. I really hope Tubby doesn't let them overlook this game, I don't think he will though.

Alabama might be a tourney team from a power 6 conference and it took a buzzer beating three for them to get past the Jackrabbits.

We'll have a huge athletic advantage though. Should kill them on the boards.

Sorry but not the least bit concerned with the Jackrabbits. Actually not USC either.

From the post-game interview on the radio after the game yesterday.

Spencer: "So, I know you don't know a lot about South Dakota yet..."
Tubby: "Well, we've only played them every year for the past three or four years..."

Top Bottom