Quincy Lewis Joins Gophers Development Staff

GopherLady

Reaction score
What a great fit! Per the U of MN.

University of Minnesota director of athletics Norwood Teague today announced the hiring of former Gopher Quincy Lewis as an associate development officer.

In his new role, Lewis’ primary focus will be on major-gift fundraising and capital campaign development, including the Gophers’ new basketball development center.

“We are delighted to have Quincy join our development team,” Teague said. “Throughout the process, we were thoroughly impressed with his vision for this position and his passion for Gopher Athletics. As an alumnus and former student-athlete, Quincy has deep roots in this community and we are looking forward to the positive impact he will have on our fundraising efforts.”

Lewis, who starred on the hardwood for the Minnesota men’s basketball team from 1995-96 through 1998-99 before going on to play four seasons in the NBA, will start his new position with the Gophers next week. It will be his second stint working with the athletic department after serving two years as an intern with the Golden Gopher Fund from 2010 through2012.

Lewis initially arrived at Minnesota as a highly-touted basketball student-athlete in the fall of 1995 from Little Rock, Ark. Four years later he would depart with the sixth-most points in the history of the Golden Gopher basketball program, totaling 1,614 during his collegiate career.

A 1999 first team All-Big Ten selection, Lewis led the Big Ten Conference in scoring as a senior by averaging 23.1 points per game, the most by a Gopher since Mychal Thompson averaged 25.9 points per game during the 1975-76 season. No Gopher player has matched Lewis' 1998-99 scoring average since.

After completing his career at Minnesota, Lewis was a first round NBA draft pick by the Utah Jazz, which selected him with the 19th overall pick in the 1999 NBA Draft. He went on to play four seasons in the NBA with Utah and Minnesota before finishing his playing career in Europe.

-

Very cool. Never hurts to have former successful student-athletes helping out.

Man, this is awesome! Congrats to Quincy! I think he will do quite well! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Every time I've heard Quincy interviewed I've been impressed with him and I loved him as a player. Silky's a great way to describe him.

>>"In his new role, Lewis’ primary focus will be on major-gift fundraising and capital campaign development, including the Gophers’ new basketball development center."

Wait, so does this mean we actually have a plan in place to move forward on the practice facility?? That would be news to me (and great news at that).

Why are they condoning cheating by hiring a guy who played in 1997? The horror!

Q will always be one of my all-time favorites for his skill, wisdom and vision. When asked as freshman why he went to the U instead of Arkansas in its heyday with Nolan Richardson, he responded, "I looked at my future and decided I didn't want to live in Arkansas the rest of my life." Bright kid at 18 and even brighter now. Great fit. I'm not in the major gift category, but if he sends me a letter, I am responding yes right away.

One of the biggest advantages might be his relationship with Reid Travis. Quincy was a part of DeLaSalle's coaching staff this past year.

One of the biggest advantages might be his relationship with Reid Travis. Quincy was a part of DeLaSalle's coaching staff this past year.

Anyone on the Cooper or Apple Valley staff we can hire?

Top Bottom