#126. Florida State (4-2) -- WON
#167. American (2-4) -- WON
#193. South Dakota State (3-2)
#200. Memphis (3-2) -- WON
#203. North Florida (1-4)
#224. Tennessee State (1-5) -- WON
#293. Lafayette (2-6)
#294. Toledo (2-4) -- WON

The Gophers' SOS currently ranks #27 in the nation according to Jerry Palm at CBSSports.com.

Man, that IU loss for NDSU is doing wonders for their RPI. How is it 122 points higher than Memphis?

We are 13th in the nation in RPI and 5th in the Big Ten. That is unbelievable. I can't wait for this year's big ten season to get underway.

We are 13th in the nation in RPI and 5th in the Big Ten. That is unbelievable. I can't wait for this year's big ten season to get underway.

afurry91, I am in your court on this comment. However, I know your history. If/When things go wrong in a Gopher game, I know that you will be one of the first vultures to pounce. Are you gonna perch in a tree and wait, or are you gonna circle and dive? :)

RPI rankings through Nov. 28.

Big Ten
#2. Michigan (5-0)
#3. Illinois (7-0)
#6. Indiana (7-0)
#10. Ohio State (4-1)
#13. GOPHERS (7-1)

For the fun of it, let's assume that holds true. That puts the Gophers as the #5 in the Big Ten Tournament, which means they would need to win four games to win it all in Chicago. If the tourney went to form, they would have to beat the #189 RPI team (PSU), then beat #10 RPI team (OSU), then the #2 RPI team (MICH), and finally the #3 RPI team (Ill) just to win the BTT.

One could make the logical argument, the 5th-seed in this year's Big Ten tournament will have an easier road to win four games in the NCAA tourney to advance to the Final Four than they would to win the four games needed to win the BTT.

afurry91, I am in your court on this comment. However, I know your history. If/When things go wrong in a Gopher game, I know that you will be one of the first vultures to pounce. Are you gonna perch in a tree and wait, or are you gonna circle and dive? :)

Well if we start out 4-0 in the conference you won't be hearing much negative talk from me. However, if you're 2-2, I don't care who you're playing. Those are two losses, and somebody on the court wasn't doing something right. Having said that, I felt I was pretty upbeat after the Duke loss.

If the Gophers start the Big Ten season 4-0, we become the odds-on favorite to win it. 3-1 would be a great start, and I'd be disappointed if the Gophs start 2-2 because I fully expect 'em to beat Sparty and Northwestern at home. This program needs to start protecting its home court, vs. both the good (MSU) and so-so (Northwestern) opponents.

If the Gophers start the Big Ten season 4-0, we become the odds-on favorite to win it. 3-1 would be a great start, and I'd be disappointed if the Gophs start 2-2 because I fully expect 'em to beat Sparty and Northwestern at home. This program needs to start protecting its home court, vs. both the good (MSU) and so-so (Northwestern) opponents.

I also think we have a good shot at beating MSU at home.. but as The Wolf from Pulp Fiction says.."Well, let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet"... They are still Sparty and we are still the Gophers. Just saying.

That said, its hard not to get excited by this team. However, I am trying to curb my excitement until we start beating the BT's best..

Well if we start out 4-0 in the conference you won't be hearing much negative talk from me. However, if you're 2-2, I don't care who you're playing. Those are two losses, and somebody on the court wasn't doing something right. Having said that, I felt I was pretty upbeat after the Duke loss.

I wouldn't be stunned with a 2-2 start, but I wouldn't be happy. Winning both at home and losing both on the road seems possible if not reasonable. @ Illinois is a tough game and @ Indiana is the toughest game on the schedule. I would be very happy with a 3-1 start, ecstatic with a 4-0 start. Only time will tell of course.

What the Gophers do vs. Michigan State will be the tone-setter for the season, for better or worse. A loss and a lot of folks start thinking "same-old, same-old," but for some reason I'm strangely confident about that game. If there's a such thing as a statement game for a middlin' B1G program, opening the season by kicking MSU's a*s would be it. Izzo has owned Tubby in Big Ten play, other than the one win in the BTT three seasons ago. It's time to end that.

What the Gophers do vs. Michigan State will be the tone-setter for the season, for better or worse. A loss and a lot of folks start thinking "same-old, same-old," but for some reason I'm strangely confident about that game. If there's a such thing as a statement game for a middlin' B1G program, opening the season by kicking MSU's a*s would be it. Izzo has owned Tubby in Big Ten play, other than the one win in the BTT three seasons ago. It's time to end that.

I'm pretty sure Izzo owned him at Kentucky as well. I know he got him in the elite 8 one year in overtime. (Maybe even 2 ot's.) Unfortunately, MSU has time for Harris to get back to full strength and look more like the team that beat KU. That said, I agree. Absolutely huge game for the program and this season. We'll likey be favored by a few at home.

I also think we have a good shot at beating MSU at home.. but as The Wolf from Pulp Fiction says.."Well, let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet"... They are still Sparty and we are still the Gophers. Just saying.

That said, its hard not to get excited by this team. However, I am trying to curb my excitement until we start beating the BT's best..

Rouser, maybe we are one of the B1G's best?

I wouldn't be stunned with a 2-2 start, but I wouldn't be happy. Winning both at home and losing both on the road seems possible if not reasonable. @ Illinois is a tough game and @ Indiana is the toughest game on the schedule. I would be very happy with a 3-1 start, ecstatic with a 4-0 start. Only time will tell of course.

2-2 would not be a surprise. Beating MSU is always a tough thing to accomplish no matter where you play. Winning at Illinois is even harder....then the touest game on oue schedule....on the road against Indiana. That is a pretty hard start to the schedule. I would like to see a 3-1 start but if we did go 2-2 that would not be a disaster. Heck we will only be favored in two of the four games from the start.

Top Bottom