Gophers UTA game 2

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
Well, tonight is a perfect example why you don't play 8 games in 8 days. Most college teams can't come close to having enough pitching depth to survive that, not to mention we are on the road and playing good Texas teams. I think we could of done without these two games against UTA because we are losing all the positives that we gained at TCU and we are going into Dallas Baptist on a bad note. Such is the life of a northern team in baseball.

Scott Fern is starting and really struggling, Gophers down 6-0 in the bottom of the second. The gophers lineup also includes 5 freshman(Geason, Petterson, OShea, Shultz, and making his first career start, true freshman Justin Gominsky).

You don't think....

...that playing baseball against good teams will help??

I would help playing the best would still help them be a better team in the long run. Against the Big Ten teams....

How does the NCAA selection people do their thing...does a tough non-conference schedule help?

GM

I'm all for playing difficult competition I just don't think the way this roadtrip was set up gave us much of a chance in these two games. 8 games in 8 days is too much. The rain out of fridays game didn't help as it would of gave us Monday off but I still think these UTA games we're doomed from the start. Maybe a single game on Wednesday would of been ok. I know we need games and the season is shorter now but we are at risk now of losing all the positive momentum we had gained from the two TCU wins.

Understood...fair point....

I struggle with this for the football team...you want to win...but not get whipped....and not play "little sisters of the poor".

At the end of the day we are only as good as we will be....but I liked what I saw from the pitching the game I saw.

Also...they fought back last night to within 2....

We'll see if this was a good or bad thing as the season wears on.

GM

8 games in 8 days

I'm all for playing difficult competition I just don't think the way this roadtrip was set up gave us much of a chance in these two games. 8 games in 8 days is too much. The rain out of fridays game didn't help as it would of gave us Monday off but I still think these UTA games we're doomed from the start. Maybe a single game on Wednesday would of been ok. I know we need games and the season is shorter now but we are at risk now of losing all the positive momentum we had gained from the two TCU wins.

This many games are just too much. I love the fact of who the Gophers are playing, but you are right 1 mid week game would have been more than enough.

The problem for the Gophers is that they need to get in as many games as possible. With the Big Ten going to 3 game series on the weekends, they are losing out on that extra game, so to try and get up to the game limit they have to add games they probably would not otherwise play. The 3 games series for the Big Ten is a much better system because everyone plays each other and their will always be a winner and loser of the series, but it makes scheduling difficult. I know after speaking with the coaches a while back, they were thinking they might not even get to the 50 game plateau this year, they got there, but barely.

Top Bottom