Mbakwe doesn't semm 100%

Tater

f.k.a. "Tubtastic"
Reaction score
Although Trevor played well in the B4A, he still appears to be a tad bit sluggish to me. He doesn't seem to have his typical explosiveness back. Think how good this team will be when he is even healthier!

(Sorry about the typo in the title)

For a guy that blew out his knee a year ago he semms ok

I think the lack of minutes has him struggling to find a rhythm. He looks much better when he is able to get in to the game and forget about his knee.

Plus, it was one year ago tonight that he blew his knee out. I'd be a little hesitant with that memory too.

He semmed inconsistent but I think he's still getting his feet underneath him.

He'll be ready by the start of B1G play. It takes time to re-gain confidence in the knee and shake off the rust.

The hardest part of an ACL tear for a lot if people is the mental aspect.

Trevor will work himself back, no worries.

It's not gonna be a direct upward trajectory, he'll have games where things are off. I think come conference play, if he's still off and on, it may be an issue. But at this point, don't think so.

Although Trevor played well in the B4A, he still appears to be a tad bit sluggish to me. He doesn't seem to have his typical explosiveness back. Think how good this team will be when he is even healthier!

(Sorry about the typo in the title)

Agreed. It seems mental more than anything, but I'm guessing he's a bit scared yet. I'm guessing that he will lose his tentativeness come B1G season - he's probably scared to miss the B1G season again, so is staying out of trouble by being less aggressive.

Only problem is that his aggressiveness is what gave him NBA potential. Without it he might be hurting his chances at the next level. I'd rather see Mbakwe at 80% (or whatever he's at now) than not have him playing, so...

Ok, so dumb question. But what does an ideal rehab at the 1-year point look like? Is it ideal that he has to play a rigorous basketball schedule? (I understand he has no choice)

What I mean to say, is playing on it night in and night out making it stronger, or does it still need to "rest" because it's repairing, or whatever.

I truly have no idea. Looking for guidance here because I feel lost ... and sad (different issue).

Long recovery for most. Trevor has said he isn't at 100%. That and it looks like tubby is being careful not to come back too fast.

That is what is so amazing about how AP has come back so strong for the vikes.

Another thing to consider, Mbakwe just came out of a stretch of 5 games in 10 days and 4 games in 6 days; perhaps not surprising if he looked a big dogged last night. The good news is this stretch, particularly the 4 in 6, is the busiest of the season, until (potentially) the Big Ten tournament. So he's made it through a pretty competitive and taxing gauntlet of games, he'll have a stretch of easier non-conf. games to work up his strength/stamina, and ideally he will step into Big Ten season quite ready and able for the demands of the Big Ten.

Coolhand made some great points about the 4 games in 6 days and I would just like to add two things that have not been mentioned yet. I've seen it mentioned several times now that Trevor had microfracture surgery and not just a regular ACL repair. That's an even bigger deal (Amare Stoudemire was the first athlete I can remember having that surgery) and makes me think that the return to 100% might be a little bit longer road. The other issues is that Doogie has said that Trevor's brace bothers him. Supposedly he won't have to wear the brace much longer, so that might be an important milestone in Trevor's recovery.

Ok, so dumb question. But what does an ideal rehab at the 1-year point look like? Is it ideal that he has to play a rigorous basketball schedule? (I understand he has no choice)

What I mean to say, is playing on it night in and night out making it stronger, or does it still need to "rest" because it's repairing, or whatever.

I truly have no idea. Looking for guidance here because I feel lost ... and sad (different issue).

It's common to have dead legs with all the games he has played. To me, it looked like he just didn't have it tonight. Ne needs a rest. Not much different than rookie NBA guys "hitting the wall."

Coolhand made some great points about the 4 games in 6 days and I would just like to add two things that have not been mentioned yet. I've seen it mentioned several times now that Trevor had microfracture surgery and not just a regular ACL repair. That's an even bigger deal (Amare Stoudemire was the first athlete I can remember having that surgery) and makes me think that the return to 100% might be a little bit longer road. The other issues is that Doogie has said that Trevor's brace bothers him. Supposedly he won't have to wear the brace much longer, so that might be an important milestone in Trevor's recovery.

I have had multiple knee surgeries, including an ACL repair and a microfracture surgery. Ideally Trevor would have a few more months to recover but there are some good things about where he is at. First off, the ACL is stronger than his other one. Because of the advancements in surgeries and technology the tendon used (typically a graft from your patellar tendon) "dies" and becomes a stronger tendon than what was in place before. This is why its very rare for someone to tear the same ACL twice.

Microfracture surgery, as it was explained to me, is where they drill small holes in your bones to make it bleed. The scar tissue that comes from the bleeding act as a sort of cushion (to replace the cartilage that is worn out or torn) and you're better off because of it. I will say the difference in recovery time for my microfracture surgery compared to my other meniscus repairs was much longer and its never felt the same. Granted, I am not an elite athlete.

Playing 4 games in 6 days is not good for Trevor, but there is only one more time this season he would have to do that (B1G tournament) so he should be better off after this. A few days of practice and a hopefully easier game vs. North Florida should have his spring back in the legs. Its going to be a season long battle because there will be days he is sore but thats true for every player on the team.

Top Bottom