Week 4 - All Things Rankings UPDATED 11/26: Gophers Ranked #21 in AP

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
Week 4 - All Things Rankings

I figured there will be a lot of ranking talk tomorrow, and I thought that we needed a place to post the various rankings around the world of college basketball.

Major:
AP Poll: 21 (11/26/2012) Link (Credit: Gopher07)
USA Today Coaches Poll: 26 (11/26/2012) Link (Credit: vaporboy)
RPI: 27 (11/25/2012) Link

Minor:
CBSSports.com RPI: 28 (11/26/2012) Link
CBSSports Top 25 (and one): 19 (11/26/2012) Link (Credit: Gold Vision & GopherLady)
ESPN.com's Power Rankings: 23 (11/26/2012) Link (Credit: CurveballJesus)
Pomeroy Ranking: 13 (11/26/2012) Link (Credit: Gold Vision)
Sagarin Ranking: 15 (11/26/2012) Link (Credit: Gold Vision)

hmmmm.....

We lost our only game game against a team that they consider to be the best team in the nation, yet we still do not crack their top 25. I will be interested to see some more rankings as they come out tomorrow.

hmmmm.....

We lost our only game game against a team that they consider to be the best team in the nation, yet we still do not crack their top 25. I will be interested to see some more rankings as they come out tomorrow.

That is our RPI ranking according to CBSSports, not our team ranking. If I'm not mistaken, we were 19th in their latest poll so i would assume we will stay around there.

hmmmm.....

That's their RPI calculation, not a ranking. CBSSports has a top 25 they put out tomorrow also.

That is our RPI ranking according to CBSSports, not our team ranking. If I'm not mistaken, we were 19th in their latest poll so i would assume we will stay around there.

Correct, in their Top 25 (and one) we were ranked 19 last week. I would expect us to stay around there as well seeing as they had Memphis at 18. It seems that CBSSports was the one giving us the most realistic ranking last week, and it will be the others catching up this week.

19th in the updated CBS Sports 25. Duke #1, Memphis drops out. Illinois making the leap to 18th.

Don't know why it matters all that much, but I'd love to see a number next to the Minnesota name on tuesday against FS.

19th in the updated CBS Sports 25. Duke #1, Memphis drops out. Illinois making the leap to 18th.

I expect the same kind of leap for Illinois in the AP & Coaches Poll. Maybe not as high as 18th, but they'll be solidly placed in the top 25.

I'm most curious to see if Duke jumps Indiana.

The CBSSports.com RPI was updated this morning bumping us up from a 31 on Sunday to a 28 on Monday. I'm assuming that is due to losses by better teams.

How does Illiniois Week last week considered better than our week? They had one victory of note, we had 2. Our loss to Duke should be equal to their barely beating Garner Webb. We were 19 last week, they were Not Ranked according to CBS. I can see them getting ranked based on last weeks results, but jumping that many teams is quite the jump for not really beating anyone but Butler and BARELY beating Garner-Webb...

It's all a number, but when things like that happen it makes me even more entrenched that the number has about 10 seconds worth of thought into it.

Ick... Jump from 30 to 26. The coaches hate us. That's about what I predicted though. I figured we would be left out of the coaches poll and the AP Poll will have us between 19-23.

Duke didn't jump Indiana, either.

Well...we were blown out by nearly 20 points by Duke. We beat a Memphis team that barely beat Northern Iowa. And, we nearly went to OT with Stanford. Hardly a showing that should move us up to the low 20s. Add the history of Tubby's teams doing well in November and December only to be dismantled in the B1G and it makes for a recipe of coaches shying away from ranking the Gophers.

It will be more important for the Gophers to see where their RPI lands in January and February. I don't think too many people imagine this Gophers team to be in 1st place in the B1G come the end of the season.

Ok, let's beat FSU and win all of the easy ones after so that we can enter B1G Conference play with a number next to our team name.

Hard to understand how MSU moves up two spots after barely beating LA-Lafayette.

Best AP ranking since January 31st, 2011 when we were ranked #18 at 16-5.

I can't get over how stacked the B1G is this year. 6 teams in the top 25..... pretty good representation.

Top Bottom