Season Updates on Gophers Signees Alex Foster and Alvin Ellis

Seton fell to Centennial (Champaign, Ill.) by 2 today. Foster went out with an injury early in the game and later returned, but Roy Schmidt (ilprepbullseye.com) told me that he probably should haven't returned because, "he was still hurting & his mobility was severely hampered."

Sounds like he was being a trooper and trying to play through injury... hope it's nothing serious or something that lingers.

For Champaign, their star F '14 Michael Finke had 25 pts... Illinois is after him with some other B1G teams interested as well (Fran, Bo, Painter).

What is the record for most guys on a team whose name begins with A?

Alvin Ellis had 21 points, eight rebounds and five assists to power No. 18 De La Salle past Philips 70-59 in the opening game of the Chicago Elite Classic at UIC on Saturday.

No matter how great the main event is billed, it always seems better with a good opening act. No. 18 De La Salle served that purpose, kicking off the Chicago Elite Classic- featuring several of the top teams in the country- with an impressive 70-57 win over Phillips Saturday at the UIC Pavillion.

Minnesota recruit Alvin Ellis stole the show in the CEC opener, leading the Meteors’ balanced attack with 21 points, eight rebounds, five assists and four steals.

http://seasonpass.suntimes.com/news_article/show/198374?referrer_id=596370

Go Gophers!!

Chicago Tribune: Boys basketball | Ellis, White lead De La Salle past Fenwick

Alvin Ellis had nine of his 14 in the final 4 minutes, 12 seconds as De La Salle opened Catholic League play with a 66-56 victory against previously unbeaten Fenwick on Tuesday night on the South Side.

"Our three senior captains that have been here four years, they played their butts off, and they played with a lot of courage and class," De La Salle coach Tom White said. "(Fenwick) is a good team. They beat the heck out of Oak Park at Oak Park."

Ellis, a Minnesota recruit, added six rebounds and five assists, four of which led to dunks.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...kb-fenwick-delasalle-20121204,0,3706616.story

Go Gophers!!

The more I read about Ellis the more I think the guy could be a stud. I cant say the same for Foster, but everything you hear about Ellis screams under the radar bad ass Big Ten player...

I've never seen him play, but his game sounds a lot like Mel Newbern. Mel was a scorer and he had great vision and a well above average passer. Both are about the same size. I tire of player comparisons but I could not help it.

The more I read about Ellis the more I think the guy could be a stud. I cant say the same for Foster, but everything you hear about Ellis screams under the radar bad ass Big Ten player...

I agree. We are going to be absolutely stacked at the guard/wing positions over the next few years. Foster sounds like he has all of the tools to be a stud but hasn't quite figured it out. Can't wait to see both of these guys in maroon and gold though.

Interesting little twitter convo between Dre and Alvin Ellis.

Alvin Ellis ‏@AEllis21
@AndreHollins happy bday.!
Expand

19m Andre Hollins ‏@AndreHollins
@AEllis21 heard you been killin mane!
Expand

15m Alvin Ellis ‏@AEllis21
@AndreHollins yea I been trying to lol
Expand

12m Andre Hollins ‏@AndreHollins
@AEllis21 keep doin ya thang man!
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

11m Alvin Ellis ‏@AEllis21
@AndreHollins good looking..yall to..I be checking yall out every game.!
Hide conversation Reply Retweet Favorite More

@Rameybasketball: Alvin Ellis scores 33 but De La Salle comes up short in a 4 point loss to East St Louis”

Go Gophers!!

I had heard Foster got a minor injury early in the season, can anyone confirm? How has he been performing this year?

per Sid:

"Gophers basketball recruit Alvin Ellis is playing in some high-profile tournaments and recently had a stellar effort at the Midwest Showdown Shootout in St. Charles, Mo. Ellis's team, De La Salle Institute in Illinois, lost 60-54 to East St. Louis, but St. Louis Today described his night this way: "De La Salle (6-2) got a dazzling 33 points from Ellis, a 6-3 University of Minnesota signee who was able to drive to the basket and finish in traffic time and time again despite the Flyers' physical defense."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/184364851.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

De La Salle’s Alvin Ellis provided the Meteors with 27 points en route to a 78-46 win over host St. Laurence.

“We knew he was a player, one of their best,” St. Laurence coach Mark Sevedge said of Ellis. “We knew he liked to play on the left wing, too, and if you looked at the game everything he did was on the left side of the floor.

“We knew we were supposed to guard him with a high hand, even when we were playing zone. He just came out hot, and we didn’t do a good enough job closing on him.”

http://seasonpass.suntimes.com/news_article/show/205278?referrer_id=596370

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

"Gophers basketball recruit Alvin Ellis recently had a nice game for De La Salle (Ill.) against St. Rita, scoring 25 points while hitting four three-pointers in a 73-67 loss. De La Salle is now 10-5 on the season. ... Forward Alex Foster, the Gophers' other 2013 signee, scored 13 points and grabbed eight rebounds in Chicago Seton Academy's loss to Romulus last Friday."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/186248182.html?page=2&c=y

Go Gophers!!

Thought this was kind of cool! Can't wait to see the box score!

@AEllis21: Got a game against my future teammate @Foster_34 tomorrow.! Should I wear my Minnesota socks.?? Lol #Gophers

The game is on friday, 7pm, so it hasn't happened yet

Seton won the game against De La Salle 57-48, both Minnesota recruits struggled on the offensive side of the ball. Foster finished with 7 points, 11 rebounds, 5 blocks and Ellis finished with 9 points (3 of 11 shooting), 6 rebounds, 2 blocks.

Chicago Tribune: Foster, Sting bring pressure in win

The 6-foot-7 Foster, a Minnesota recruit, scored seven of his 13 points in the fourth quarter. His presence at the center of the zone also helped clog the lane.

"It's just been a process, but we're moving in the right direction," Foster said of adapting to his new team after transferring from De La Salle. "It's a guard-oriented game. This one was about who took care of the ball better."

Player of the game: Alex Foster, Seton, 13 points, 11 rebounds.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...on-providence-st-mel-20130115,0,6211712.story

Go Gophers!!

The picture of Foster getting fouled? That should have been 3-5 years for assault.

Top Bottom