Memphis matchups

march madness

Reaction score
Memphis is a team very similar to the gophers. Atheltic, a bad 3pt shooting team (29%), and one that can turn it over too often. They also average 9 steals a game but they are not a good defensive rebounding team. Tallest player is 6'8".

Jackson, a jr, vs Dre at the point should be interesting and even. SG Barton, 6'2" jr, is their best 3pt shooter (46%, 2 makes per game) I give Austin's all around game the advantage here.

Coleman vs Crawford at the 3. Neither can shoot outside. Coleman is great in the open court if this game ends up being ragged. Still call it even.

Rodney vs A. thomas. Thomas is 6'6" 225 leading their team in scoring, shooting 55% from the field. Rodney is really comming into his own. Fun matchup and pretty even.

In the middle, Memphis has Tarik Black 6'8" 250 jr. 11pts, 4.7 reb a game. Looks like a better matchup for Trevor than EE. That being said if EE can play tough his height alone could cause some problems. I also think Moe could be effective here too.

So two similar teams. Stopping Memphis' dribble penetration is key. Jackson can really get into the lane. On offense getting the ball into the paint will be key as will attacking the glass. They are not a shotblocking team and they are a little undersized.

GO GOPHERS!!

From everything I've read, it seems like this Memphis team is our ideal matchup against a ranked opponent. We matchup extremely well against these guys and i would not be surprised to see us handle them without too much trouble. However, if we turn it over more than they do it will make for a nail biter.

Memphis is a team very similar to the gophers. Atheltic, a bad 3pt shooting team (29%), and one that can turn it over too often. They also average 9 steals a game but they are not a good defensive rebounding team. Tallest player is 6'8".

Jackson, a jr, vs Dre at the point should be interesting and even. SG Barton, 6'2" jr, is their best 3pt shooter (46%, 2 makes per game) I give Austin's all around game the advantage here.

Coleman vs Crawford at the 3. Neither can shoot outside. Coleman is great in the open court if this game ends up being ragged. Still call it even.

Rodney vs A. thomas. Thomas is 6'6" 225 leading their team in scoring, shooting 55% from the field. Rodney is really comming into his own. Fun matchup and pretty even.

In the middle, Memphis has Tarik Black 6'8" 250 jr. 11pts, 4.7 reb a game. Looks like a better matchup for Trevor than EE. That being said if EE can play tough his height alone could cause some problems. I also think Moe could be effective here too.

So two similar teams. Stopping Memphis' dribble penetration is key. Jackson can really get into the lane. On offense getting the ball into the paint will be key as will attacking the glass. They are not a shotblocking team and they are a little undersized.

GO GOPHERS!!

Good post. Thanks. Go Gophers

Top Bottom