Depth at DB?

EG#9

Reaction score
I realize a number of these guys have not proven themselves at the Big Ten level yet, but it looks like the Gophers will have better depth at DB than they have had in a long time.

CB: Sherels, Collado
CB: Simmons, JC transfer Robinson
SS: Theret, Rallis, Wisconsin Transfer Royston? (probably his best chance to start is here)
FS: Brock, Dandridge, Recruit Kerry Lewis

Other options: Former HS QB's Johnny Johnson and Troy Stoudermire who both saw time this year(Mainly on special teams). Stoudermire played some on offense, so I am not sure if he's still considered a CB or not.

The Gophers are still recruiting several DB's including JUCO's Anthony Leon and Taikwon Paige plus Michael Carter.

That's really impressive depth for a team that used to struggle to find a 5th DB for the nickel defense.

Be looking for any bulk ups moving into the box. It's a part of Brews recruiting strategy to get speed into the full D.

I realize a number of these guys have not proven themselves at the Big Ten level yet, but it looks like the Gophers will have better depth at DB than they have had in a long time.

CB: Sherels, Collado
CB: Simmons, JC transfer Robinson
SS: Theret, Rallis, Wisconsin Transfer Royston? (probably his best chance to start is here)
FS: Brock, Dandridge, Recruit Kerry Lewis

Other options: Former HS QB's Johnny Johnson and Troy Stoudermire who both saw time this year(Mainly on special teams). Stoudermire played some on offense, so I am not sure if he's still considered a CB or not.

The Gophers are still recruiting several DB's including JUCO's Anthony Leon and Taikwon Paige plus Michael Carter.

That's really impressive depth for a team that used to struggle to find a 5th DB for the nickel defense.

Halfway through the season they said Stoudermire was a WR instead of a CB because they needed more guys that could make plays. The only time he actually played was when they wanted to throw him a bubble screen, reverse, or once or twice he took the snap in a wildcat formation. Pretty much every time he came in he got the ball which is why the fake option pass to Green w/ Stoudermire in motion as the pitch man worked so well against Wisconsin. There is the chance that with Green progressing, Carpenter on campus, and hopefully McNeal that Stoudermire could move back to DB. He is clearly undersized for WR but Steve Smith and Santana Moss are both NFL stars and they are not much different in size. I think he has the skills to make plays after the catch, which we sorely missed this year, so I'd like to see them keep him at WR.

Johnson looked very athletic on special teams so I'm hopeful he can make a good contribution at CB in the future. Given his height and speed I wouldn't be surprised to see Kerry Lewis move over to CB if his hips are fluid enough. I think the plan has to be to recruit as many good athletes as they can and figure out starters and positions later. Keanon Cooper is a good example of that because he runs a 4.45 and was projected by most recruiting services as a SS but we're moving him to OLB (that is a really fast LB). If he can't get his weight up to 225 lbs from 200 lbs he still has the speed, size, and athletic ability to play SS.

Top Bottom