Tubby Smith named Reusse's Turkey of the Year (Mbakwe named 2nd runner up)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
from the column:

Second runner-up: Trevor Mbakwe. We're constantly assured the Gophers' sixth-year senior is really a good kid, and if it wasn't for those dang arrests and probation hearings that keep popping up every few months, the committee might totally agree.

First runner-up: Jerry Kill. Country Jer came to town so unaware of what it's like in a big-time market that he was shocked at the fallout from the $800,000 fee paid to North Carolina to cancel a home-and-home series. But, hey, Kill turned things around at Southern Illinois, so why not buy into his constant reassurance that every move is part of a masterful plan that guarantees big success, and not an expensive act of cowardice?

And here's the Turkey of the Year: Tubby Smith.

Five seasons ago, Tubby left Kentucky and hired himself as the new coach at Minnesota. He hasn't won an NCAA tournament game. And in one glorious 12-hour period this fall, star player Mbakwe was avoiding jail in Miami, while Tubby's son and assistant coach, Saul Smith, was getting a DUI in the Twin Cities. Tubby's discipline? Close to nothing.

Entering Season 6, Tubby's teams have played their best in November, not March, which isn't exactly what Minnesota was after when it proferred the big-buck contract in April 2007.

That's it, although the committee must remind Turkey Banquet goers that all of this could be canceled, if Woody Teague gets the check for 775 grand to us before the Lions finish today's loss.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/180443451.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Reusse is such a D-Bag....how can people even spend time reading his crap.

Reusse is such a D-Bag....how can people even spend time reading his crap.

how can people even spend time commenting on Reusse threads on the football and basketball boards minutes apart?

how can people even spend time commenting on Reusse threads on the football and basketball boards minutes apart?

Maximus, it's called FM. (*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing Magic)

Bleed - you did this last year. How about a spoiler alert instead of a GIANT HEADLINE? I like reading the column without knowing. I guess I'm old fashioned, that way.

Did we really expect anything else? I mean, it's to be expected after all the grilling the Gophers have gotten over the last few months.

trevor did get off easy, D. Joseph was getting reamed by tubby for his screw up. Trevor gets to watch most of the game vs little sisters of the poor and vs the 1st decent team plays 24 minutes, his son gets a month of paid vavation after a week W/O pay

I have no problem with the winner, although Leipold or Ziggy would have been my choice. Barker should have been an invitee sitting next to Mbwake. GL is lucky she isn't at the table considering her past passionate defense of Mbwake's character and the fact that she and Reusse like to jab at each other.

barker would have been a good choice

Top Bottom