Grinnell College guard scores 138 points

Bo Ryan Misses Again!!!!!

Seriously Bo, how do you miss on this kid lighting it up and he's from your own backyard!!!

Okay, I'm joking a little bit about the Bo Ryan part, but seriously Jack Taylor from Black River Falls, WI who plays for D3 Grinell scored 138 points on 27 three pointers in a game tonight. Wow.

@GaryParrishCBS: Jack Taylor from Grinnell College scored a NCAA-record 138 points tonight. He made 27 3-pointers. For real.

A player taking that many shots and playing that many minutes in Grinnell's system is a clear publicity stunt. It's working though.

Final score of 179-104. That's not basketball.

So basically the game plan was to let him shoot every possession and forget about playing defense. Still crazy to make 27 3s in one game though. Wow.

Grinnell has a goofy offense, but this is a bit much, even for them.

Two words: Ball. Hog. It had to have been a situation where the team was like, "Okay, you're breaking a record tonight, son."

capturegma.png

I'm impressed.

It is a complete stunt. They play a small school like Fath Bible college every season and try and set a record. Last year it was the kid from Forest Lake setting the D3 scoring record. The year before the coaches son set the single game NCaa assist record. Its a total crock of bs and rediculously classless.

It is a complete stunt. They play a small school like Fath Bible college every season and try and set a record. Last year it was the kid from Forest Lake setting the D3 scoring record. The year before the coaches son set the single game NCaa assist record. Its a total crock of bs and rediculously classless.

I am sorry, I forgot the magic sarcasm. :) has been edited to my comment.

It's not classless if you don't care. If you're reading this thread and have never heard of AFLBS (plays in the same college division as Faith Baptist), you can avoid your outrage by just forgetting you ever heard about it. This was little more than a pickup game, save your energy.

Two words: Ball. Hog. It had to have been a situation where the team was like, "Okay, you're breaking a record tonight, son."

capturegma.png

6 turnovers? Bench him!

He played 36 minutes. No one else on the team played more than 15. He shot 108 out of the team's 136 field goals (79% of the shots).

How does the other team just not put someone on him and never leave him? At some point I would just double team him so he didn't get the record. A starter in launching 3's when you're up 60+ is really classy. I'm surprised there weren't any "accidental" elbows. The team they played is 0-8 (including exhibitions) and had lost by an average of 33 points a game coming into this one. Still pretty impressive but kinda pathetic at the same time.

A kid for the other team scored 70 without a single 3 pointer, btw.

How can the guy score 138 points and yet the whole team only has 11 combined assists? (according to the box score pasted in this thread)

Also, while this clearly was a publicity stunt for Grinnell, you have to conclude the other team was complicit as well. Even if they were terrible, if you don't want to be part of a record you can just start double or triple teaming him. It's not like he's a post player 1 foot taller than anyone else. He's a 5'10" guard. And he took over 100 shots but only 10 free throws? Clearly the other team wasn't trying too hard to stop him.

Wow, he broke the record of Bevo Francis(Rio Grande College), and Wiki already has it updated.

I had never heard of Bevo until 1972 when I moved to Gallipolis, Ohio which is about 15 miles from Rio Grande.

I have now lost one of my all-time trivia questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bevo_Francis

How can the guy score 138 points and yet the whole team only has 11 combined assists? (according to the box score pasted in this thread)

Also, while this clearly was a publicity stunt for Grinnell, you have to conclude the other team was complicit as well. Even if they were terrible, if you don't want to be part of a record you can just start double or triple teaming him. It's not like he's a post player 1 foot taller than anyone else. He's a 5'10" guard. And he took over 100 shots but only 10 free throws? Clearly the other team wasn't trying too hard to stop him.

They had a player score 70, so there may have been some agreement.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab...oring-record-138-points-035513170--ncaab.html

With Video.

Had Double team at some points.

Likely never passed the ball...

Plays against a local college here in Green Bay on December 8th, I'm going to go watch this team play as I hear Grinnell plays an "odd" style of basketball....

It's an odd style alright. No passing at all. Just dribble up to the 3pt line and launch one. If you get an offensive rebound pass it back the the guy who originally shot it for a second chance and if he isn't open just turn around and put it back up. Very odd style.

Just imagine if the Gophers could get that many shots off in a game...either the Grinnell coach is on something or is onto something.

Here's how big of a sham it was:

http://client.stretchinternet.com/c...?mode=link&eventId=79617&broadcastType=video#

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2012/11/grinnell-taylor-puts-scoring-record-at-138

Jack Taylor scored 80 of his 138 points in the 2nd half. The 2nd half starts at about 1:02 on the player. For context of the game situation, keep the following Grinnell lead margins in mind as you watch:

Halftime: Grinnell up 39
15:00 2nd: Grinnell up 40
10:00 2nd, Grinnell up 43
5:00 2nd, Grinnell up 54

* Taylor scored his final 26 points in the final 5 minutes of the game with Grinnell up between 54 and 70 points

* Grinnell changed their usual 5 out/5 in substitution pattern in this game, going 4 & 4 to leave Taylor on the floor. In the Grinnell system the best player usually plays about 20 minutes per game -- Taylor played 36 last night.

* After chucking up shots, you will see Taylor stay in cherrypick land, barely ever getting to halfcourt (again keep in mind his team was up 39+ the entire 2nd half and over 50 the entire final 5 minutes)

I played in Grinnell's conference in college. They have always been "special" now they just seem to do it for the media attention. Its sad, disgusting, and makes a mockery of the game.

They had a player score 70, so there may have been some agreement.

Its just the way Grinnell plays. They would rather trade a wide open layup or free throw jumpter for a 3 on the other end. They Press the entire game, even when up 60 points to attempt to steal the ball and will shoot a contested 3 over a wide open layup. They will cherry pick on defense, giving up the easy 2 to fast break down to the other end for the three. They foul continuously, again trading a chance of 1 or 2 points for a chance at 3. They get away with a ton as well, because as several ref who worked their games told me, you can't call a foul on them every single defensive possession, but they are committing them all the same.

Some dweeb on 1500 just said both teams will be on the Gophers non-conference schedule next year.

ESPN: 10 top water-cooler facts on 138-point game

That kid's name is Jack Taylor from Grinnell and here are our 10 best, most water-cooler-worthy nuggets we could find on his one-of-a-kind game.

1. With his 138 points, Taylor's scoring average rose from 23.5 PPG to 61.7 PPG. He had scored a total of 47 points in Grinnell's first two games of the season. He was 6-34 from three-point range in those games.

2. If you were to take away his 71 three-point attempts and his 10 free-throw attempts in Tuesday night's game, Taylor still would have scored 50 points on 25-37 shooting.

3. Taylor had 80 points in the second half alone. The last Division-I team to score that many in a second half was VMI on November 29, 2010 when they scored 85 against Central Pennsylvania College.

4. Taylor played 36 minutes, averaging exactly 3 FGA per minute. He missed 56 shots, which matches the most misses by any D-I team this season (North Carolina A&T was 10-66 vs. Cincinnati on November 18).

5. If Taylor went scoreless in his next six games, he'd still be averaging more than 20 PPG on the season (20.6).

6. Taylor hoisted 108 shots while his teammates combined for just 28 shots. His teammates shot 57 percent on those shots while he shot 48 percent.

7. Taylor used 69 percent of his team's possessions. In Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game, he used 47 percent of his team's possessions. In Kobe Bryant's 81-point game, he used 51 percent of the Lakers' possessions.

8. In the two highest-scoring games of his NBA career, Michael Jordan combined for 133 points (69 in 1990 and 64 in 1993).

9. Faith Baptist Bible turned the ball over on 41 percent of their possessions and had two players with 15 turnovers or more each. It had four players with turnover percentages over 60 percent.

10. Faith Baptist Bible's David Larson scored 70 points on 34-of-44 shooting, which might be more impressive than Taylor's 138 points on 108 shot attempts. Floor percentage is a stat that measures how many of the player’s possessions resulted in him scoring at least one point. Larson's floor percentage was 70 percent while Taylor was "only" 63.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...3/10-top-water-cooler-facts-on-138-point-game

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom