Elbowing Flagrant Foul

Gold Vision

Reaction score
Anyone watching the MSU game? This elbow flagrant foul rule is getting out of hand. How is a player supposed to protect a basketball with the ball over their heads? These defenders are sticking their heads right around the shoulders of the player to draw contact. A player can't even rotate after pulling down a rebound. As soon as they bring the ball down, it's going to get tie up. I get the intent of the rule, but it seems to be getting out of hand for the refs.

Agreed. Annoying rule.

Purdue lost to Villanova because of a phantom flagrant elbow call at the end of the game. The kid from Nova did a patented Duke flop and the Purdue kids elbow missed the guys face by a couple inches. Purdue was up by 5 with 30 seconds to go. Nova got the two free throws and the ball. They scored the bucket then fouled. Purdue hits one free throw and then Nova scores a bucket to tie the game and go into overtime and win. Purdue would have won the game had the ref made the proper call, which was Nova's defender hacking the crap out of Purdue's player while he tried to get some space.

This rule absolutely needs to be reevaluated.

Purdue lost a game vs. Villanova last week because of this. Referees are in love with the offensive foul calls.

Purdue was up 4 with the ball and 43 seconds left. Ball was inbounded to D.J. Byrd was was trapped on the sideline in front of the Nova bench. Byrd was getting mugged so he brought the ball up above his head. Nova player took a flop and they called him for an offensive foul. Because the kid flopped like a Dukie, they went to the monitor and determined it was a flagrant 1 which was 2 shots and the ball. Byrd's elbow never touched the kid. Nova proceeded to hit both FT's then get another cheap foul on the in bound plays gave them 2 more FT's and boom.....tie game. Purdue failed to score on the last possession and Nova won easily in OT.

By far one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Ever.

Purdue lost to Villanova because of a phantom flagrant elbow call at the end of the game. The kid from Nova did a patented Duke flop and the Purdue kids elbow missed the guys face by a couple inches. Purdue was up by 5 with 30 seconds to go. Nova got the two free throws and the ball. They scored the bucket then fouled. Purdue hits one free throw and then Nova scores a bucket to tie the game and go into overtime and win. Purdue would have won the game had the ref made the proper call, which was Nova's defender hacking the crap out of Purdue's player while he tried to get some space.

This rule absolutely needs to be reevaluated.

Ha! Posted this simultaneously.

I also like how both of you mention he flopped like Duke player lol

It was a dead ball foul, ie elbowing a dude after the whistle blew. And he did elbow two guys, so he sorta got off easy.

I recall RSIII having a couple terrible calls go against him because of this rule. Ralph took a lot of heat for not being tough enough, then when he did make a nice strong move he gets jobbed by the refs.

Colton Iverson got called for elbows all the time. However he deserved many of the calls. Colton wasn't the most overpowering talent we have seen in the post but he always played hard and with an attitude. Put Colton's attitude in Ralph and you would have had a star.

Ha! Posted this simultaneously.

Great minds think alike...or in this case...simultaneously.

I believe that in the case of two eye-witnesses making the same statement, it must ,therefore, be true! And yes, the fact that we both brought up Duke is quite uncanny and indicative of Duke basketball.

Top Bottom