SNEAKY RICHMOND SPIDERS

Reaction score
They look as if they can really shoot the 3 and will be guard oriented and quick. This sets up as a tough test of the pressing philosophy of the 2012/13 Gophers and may give us insight on how MN will fare will similar attacks (Duke, Mich., etc.). Can the Gophers defend the 3? We will find out. Go Gophs.

What will happen:

1) The Gophers will shut Richmond down and beat them by 15+
2) People will b!tch.

What will happen:

1) The Gophers will shut Richmond down and beat them by 15+
2) People will b!tch.

No they won't, matt. Being as this is a message board, they have a right to express their opinions, so that is all they are doing. :confused:

I think people are over looking this game for some reason. I think if the gophers turn the ball over like they have been we might lose this game. We better not be looking to the duke game because we will lose this one.

I think people are over looking this game for some reason. I think if the gophers turn the ball over like they have been we might lose this game. We better not be looking to the duke game because we will lose this one.

I don't think anyone's over looking Richmond. It's just not as big of a talker. Richmond will give us a run for our money I just think our depth and pressure will wear them out. I see us beating Richmond in a grind it out kind of game but we win by 15. Besides we are the "fans" we can overlook all we want, it doesn't effect anything. Now if you know some of the players and they are only talking g about duke etc the. You may have a point

The only time I've heard Richmond discussed on here is when people have said this is our first real test. So I don't think anyone is looking past them.

The only time I've heard Richmond discussed on here is when people have said this is our first real test. So I don't think anyone is looking past them.

Considering that the team didn't overlook Tennessee State and Toledo, I doubt they will overlook Richmond. I think it's natural to be excited about a game with a top ten opponent nearing.

I agree with Matt, the Gophers will win by a nice margin, and the griping will ensue. I feel like their should be a lot more positivity abounding in the fan base, especially considering the types of seasons we've watched recently.

Get excited and beat the Spiders!

Considering that the team didn't overlook Tennessee State and Toledo, I doubt they will overlook Richmond. I think it's natural to be excited about a game with a top ten opponent nearing.

I agree with Matt, the Gophers will win by a nice margin, and the griping will ensue. I feel like their should be a lot more positivity abounding in the fan base, especially considering the types of seasons we've watched recently.

Get excited and beat the Spiders!

So many closet duke/UNC fans in Minnesota! Many would rather see the gophers lose those games than win. I talked to a student of mine on Friday that is a duke bball fan and a huge gopher football fan, he said he wants gopher bball to win every game except the duke game, I was tempted to give him detention for his comment

So many closet duke/UNC fans in Minnesota! Many would rather see the gophers lose those games than win. I talked to a student of mine on Friday that is a duke bball fan and a huge gopher football fan, he said he wants gopher bball to win every game except the duke game, I was tempted to give him detention for his comment

Detention would be appropriate. If he said he wanted the badgers to beat the gophers that would be grounds for expulsion.

Hoping the Gophers get out on the 3 point shooters as our insiders should be able to spiderhandle their forwards. Gophers should be able to beat Richmond as long as we take care of the basketball as we will be pressed.

Lots of guards that can score for Richmond... amazing, but as much as the Gophers have been beating teams by, Richmond's scoring differential this year is actually higher through three games... excerpt from the LNH preview:

Leading scorer #3 Darien Brothers (14.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 37.6% 3FG in 2011-12) is back for his senior year and has started off hot. Through three games, the 6’3” guard is averaging 19.7 points and has shot an eFG% of 71.9%.

Brothers presents a challenge in that he’s a threat both from behind the arc and attacking the basket. He’s gone for 30+ points several times in his career and keeping him covered is a top priority for the Gopher defense.

Sophomore point guard #0 Kendall Anthony (13.0 ppg, 1.7 apg) stands just 5’8” and comes off the bench, but he’s extremely quick and hasn’t had a problem getting shots off. Approximately half of his shots come from 3-point range where he’s connected on an impressive 43.4% of his career attempts as a Spider.

#2 Cedrick Lindsay (11.2 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 3.7 apg, 34.1% 3FG) is another guard who can hit from deep, but the 6’1” junior scores most of his points closer to the basket and at the line. Keep an eye on him in transition.

Big #34 Derrick Williams (11.2 ppg, 5.6 rpg) is 270 pounds and big enough to battle in the post despite being only 6’6”. He’ll look to draw fouls and get to the line where he’s a career 77% shooter.

Sophomore reserve guard #4 Wayne Sparrow’s freshman year ended early after breaking his hand, but this year he’s averaged 8.7 ppg and has shot 5/12 from 3-point range.

Hey, I caught hell for telling people to stop looking ahead, because this is an internet chat room and people can express their opinions. But I totally agree with you....This is a Trap Game.

My feelings are this...The toughest job Tubby has right now is to keep his Guys focused on Richmond, with Duke looming in the background. That is not an easy job.

p.s. Tubby, start the 2nd team versus Richmond, and then make the studs fight back from behind to get the win, let the studs know they can come back from adversity and bring home a big one.

Go Gophers!!!

Seems like this should be a game where we work on our half-court offense. Our guards will need to be able to feed the post and let Williams, Eliason, Walker and Mbakwe pound it down low.

The great thing about the Gophers is that their defense is easily their strong point. Even if Richmond comes out hot, they won't be able to keep it up for the entire game. The unrelenting pressure on their guards will take their legs from them in the second half and those three point shots will start clanking off the rim.

The key to this game (and nearly any game) will be keeping turnovers down and controlling the boards. The Gophers do these two things and they win by 10+.

Seems like this should be a game where we work on our half-court offense. Our guards will need to be able to feed the post and let Williams, Eliason, Walker and Mbakwe pound it down low.

The great thing about the Gophers is that their defense is easily their strong point. Even if Richmond comes out hot, they won't be able to keep it up for the entire game. The unrelenting pressure on their guards will take their legs from them in the second half and those three point shots will start clanking off the rim.

The key to this game (and nearly any game) will be keeping turnovers down and controlling the boards. The Gophers do these two things and they win by 10+.

tinyarch/jamalo all you ever talk about is half court offense. You obviously have the magic half court offense that is unstoppable, please meet with Tubby and show him your never fail half court offense. Until you do, you are not credible. thank you. Doc.

I could care less about the half court offense, we aren't going to be a team that slows the game down and runs plays deep in a shot clock. Lets do what we are best at and make it work. Press the sh*t out of everyone, cause turnovers, and score as much as we can in transition. You get caught up with half court offense when that's not our style.

tinyarch/jamalo all you ever talk about is half court offense. You obviously have the magic half court offense that is unstoppable, please meet with Tubby and show him your never fail half court offense. Until you do, you are not credible. thank you. Doc.

Tubby would never listen. My brother, who coaches at the high school level (brought one of his teams to the WI championship game at the D4 level), sat in a coaching clinic that Tubby participated in. Tubby spent 45 minutes explaining the flex, which most elementary school coaches could explain. Compare that to Tom Crean who runs nothing but called sets everytime his team comes down the court. His book of plays is similar to Flip Saunders. Most coaches have specific sets and plays designed based upon what defenses are doing. Tubby...here's the flex...

Tubby can get a boat load of athletic players and play great defense, but in order to become an elite team these Gophers MUST learn to execute in the half-court. Anyone who thinks otherwise is purely drinking "Kool-aid."

So, Doc...I know you're a homer, but your knowledge of basketball is limited. Cheer all you want, but it would be best if you cheered and left the diagnosis to those with knowledge of the game. Speaking of no credibility...take a look in the mirror, Walter...

I could care less about the half court offense, we aren't going to be a team that slows the game down and runs plays deep in a shot clock. Lets do what we are best at and make it work. Press the sh*t out of everyone, cause turnovers, and score as much as we can in transition. You get caught up with half court offense when that's not our style.

It may not be the Gopher's style, but it's a guarantee that teams will force that tempo on the Gophers and they had better be able to execute in the half-court if they wish to be an elite team.

It may not be the Gopher's style, but it's a guarantee that teams will force that tempo on the Gophers and they had better be able to execute in the half-court if they wish to be an elite team.

why isnt it a guarantee we force other teams to play our style? you almost make it out to be the gophers are incapable of controlling a game

why isnt it a guarantee we force other teams to play our style? you almost make it out to be the gophers are incapable of controlling a game

There will always come a time when the opponents guards are able to break any press and set-up their half-court offense. In so doing they negate the uptempo teams into having to play half-court basketball. If an uptempo team cannot be efficient in their own sets they end up losing.

Take a look at the list of National Champions. Pick out one team that won the National Championship as a purely fast break team that pressed the entire time. The closest team to do that was Phi Slama Jama with Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler, but guess what...they lost the National Championship game to a team that controlled tempo and didn't turn over the ball.

The Gophers can win more than they lose playing an uptempo game, but come tourney time they will run into teams that will control tempo and the Gophers will have to be able to be successful in all types of tempo in order to move forward in the dance. A great example of a team that is efficient in different tempos is Coach Izzo's Spartan teams at Michigan State. He also runs great sets out of his half-court offense that isolates a teams weaknesses. He's been successful precisely because his teams are well balanced and can play at different tempos. If Tubby can get this team to play at various tempos then he'll have a team that will go deep into the tourney. We haven't yet seen what this team can do when they take on a team that isn't bothered by pressure on their guards. We'll know much more after the Gophers play Duke. Until then, I won't get too excited about beating the "Little Sisters of the Poor."

There will always come a time when the opponents guards are able to break any press and set-up their half-court offense. In so doing they negate the uptempo teams into having to play half-court basketball. If an uptempo team cannot be efficient in their own sets they end up losing.

Take a look at the list of National Champions. Pick out one team that won the National Championship as a purely fast break team that pressed the entire time. The closest team to do that was Phi Slama Jama with Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler, but guess what...they lost the National Championship game to a team that controlled tempo and didn't turn over the ball.

The Gophers can win more than they lose playing an uptempo game, but come tourney time they will run into teams that will control tempo and the Gophers will have to be able to be successful in all types of tempo in order to move forward in the dance. A great example of a team that is efficient in different tempos is Coach Izzo's Spartan teams at Michigan State. He also runs great sets out of his half-court offense that isolates a teams weaknesses. He's been successful precisely because his teams are well balanced and can play at different tempos. If Tubby can get this team to play at various tempos then he'll have a team that will go deep into the tourney. We haven't yet seen what this team can do when they take on a team that isn't bothered by pressure on their guards. We'll know much more after the Gophers play Duke. Until then, I won't get too excited about beating the "Little Sisters of the Poor."

Its a lot easier to use defense to control tempo than it is on offense. You can use your "multiple tempos" theory but that's a lot of wasted practice time IMO. You stick to your strengths. Kentucky won the title last year because of defense and transition offense. I think your tempo theory is overrated but I guess we have different opinions

Its a lot easier to use defense to control tempo than it is on offense. You can use your "multiple tempos" theory but that's a lot of wasted practice time IMO. You stick to your strengths. Kentucky won the title last year because of defense and transition offense. I think your tempo theory is overrated but I guess we have different opinions

The key to your statement is the first four words..."It's a lot easier", which is true. However, what do you do when you go up against a team where the opponents guards are not bothered by the defensive pressure and bring up the ball and run their sets? How do you score when you don't get the turnovers and steals you are used to? I'll give you the answer. You stand around and dribble the ball until there is about 5 seconds on the clock and then you put up a shot with a hand in your face and watch it clank off the rim. How many times have we seen that exact scenario happen to the Gophers in the past 5 years? If your honest you'll admit that it happened far too often, especially in the last 6 minutes of a game.

Like most people, I enjoy watching an up-tempo game where the kids drive to the rack. However, that isn't the way every team will play. The Gophers have to be ready to win games when they can't create turnovers and have to work out of half-court sets. If they can do that, then they'll be a very good...and...fun team to watch.

The key to your statement is the first four words..."It's a lot easier", which is true. However, what do you do when you go up against a team where the opponents guards are not bothered by the defensive pressure and bring up the ball and run their sets? How do you score when you don't get the turnovers and steals you are used to? I'll give you the answer. You stand around and dribble the ball until there is about 5 seconds on the clock and then you put up a shot with a hand in your face and watch it clank off the rim. How many times have we seen that exact scenario happen to the Gophers in the past 5 years? If your honest you'll admit that it happened far too often, especially in the last 6 minutes of a game.

Like most people, I enjoy watching an up-tempo game where the kids drive to the rack. However, that isn't the way every team will play. The Gophers have to be ready to win games when they can't create turnovers and have to work out of half-court sets. If they can do that, then they'll be a very good...and...fun team to watch.

you dont stop playing defense. the key is to alter shots and rebound. we disagree whatever its fine. i personally think you just dislike tubby and that is why you continue to harp on the half court thing. either way lets beat richmond g gophers

Tubby would never listen. My brother, who coaches at the high school level (brought one of his teams to the WI championship game at the D4 level), sat in a coaching clinic that Tubby participated in. Tubby spent 45 minutes explaining the flex, which most elementary school coaches could explain. Compare that to Tom Crean who runs nothing but called sets everytime his team comes down the court. His book of plays is similar to Flip Saunders. Most coaches have specific sets and plays designed based upon what defenses are doing. Tubby...here's the flex...

Tubby can get a boat load of athletic players and play great defense, but in order to become an elite team these Gophers MUST learn to execute in the half-court. Anyone who thinks otherwise is purely drinking "Kool-aid."

So, Doc...I know you're a homer, but your knowledge of basketball is limited. Cheer all you want, but it would be best if you cheered and left the diagnosis to those with knowledge of the game. Speaking of no credibility...take a look in the mirror, Walter...

Some people seem to think the Gophers can elect to play a 'style of game' that does not involve a half-court offense.......or play a transition game only.

From what I have seen from our attempt at a half-court offense I am not surprised by your comments above.

Some people seem to think the Gophers can elect to play a 'style of game' that does not involve a half-court offense.......or play a transition game only.

From what I have seen from our attempt at a half-court offense I am not surprised by your comments above.

This.

I guess that wasn't exactly what I was attempting to portray. I attempted to talk about the positive of what we are doing rather talk about what we aren't doing. Sorry I blew up

I guess that wasn't exactly what I was attempting to portray. I attempted to talk about the positive of what we are doing rather talk about what we aren't doing. Sorry I blew up

My "Some people" was in reference to numerous people.

Disagree that coaches need set plays, not saying the Flex is great, just think set plays can cause teams to become predictable and players to lose their ability to use their talent. Personally, I prefer a more open offense.

The Gophers half court issue isn't no set plays. It's that we pass it around the perimeter. There is very little cutting. Very little screening. And very little putting the ball into the post for an inside out game.

Meanwhile:

FIRST TV GAME TODAY 6 PM. 5 TV GAMES IN THE NEXT 9 DAYS! HALLELUJAH.

BTN pisses me off.

Disagree that coaches need set plays, not saying the Flex is great, just think set plays can cause teams to become predictable and players to lose their ability to use their talent. Personally, I prefer a more open offense.

The Gophers half court issue isn't no set plays. It's that we pass it around the perimeter. There is very little cutting. Very little screening. And very little putting the ball into the post for an inside out game.

I wouldn't disagree with you. I think Crean goes overboard. Like you, I prefer watching teams run a "motion" offense where players make their cuts based upon reading the defense. There are times in the game, however, where a specific play can and should be called based upon the situation.

You are dead on in regards to the Gophers standing and holding the ball rather than making the pass and then making the appropriate cut, either to the basket or to set a screen away from the ball. There is a tendency for people away from the ball to get caught up being spectators of the ballhandler rather than make their own reads and cuts based upon what their own defender is doing.

Top Bottom