Matchups with Duke

march madness

Reaction score
Duke is a pretty experienced team with Curry, Kelly, and Plumlee. Like all Duke teams they really rely on the 3pt shot. They went 8-18 against Kentucky. Plumlee is the only post threat but he is pretty good and he is now tough.

I guess they will start cook at pg matching up with andre. I would put Austin on Curry and tell him to overplay and make him drive. Coleman on Suaimon, seems even here. Rodney on Kelly, I think this is a matchup nightmare for Duke. Eliason on Plumlee, matchup nightmare for us.

We easily have more depth. This duke team seems to be missing that do everything forward from past teams: Battier, hill, Singler.

Game comes down to turnovers. Duke had 8 against a super athletic Kentucky team. And it will come down to 3pt shots. Can we get hot to open up the middle. Can we stay disciplined on the 3 pt shooters with all the double teaming in the post? I hope so...

Should be fun to watch. Much depends on how healthy mbakwe is and what kind of production we get out of him. Also, I totally agree on the 3 point shot. If we give up a lot of uncontested 3's as we did last year it could be a long night.

I love the Gophers and think we are in for a solid year - but in this Duke game I think we may just be screwed.

I guess I'm in the minority but I'm not impressed with duke so far this year

I guess I'm in the minority but I'm not impressed with duke so far this year

You're not alone, the Gophers are much deeper than Duke. If Plumlee gets into foul trouble the Gophers could walk with this game, and I think that's a very real possibility having 2 interchangeable centers, and Mbakwe/Ingram. With Austin on Curry, and Rodney on Kelly I don't think we'll have as much of a scare as some of the doom and gloom folks seem to think.

My biggest fear is being in a tight game going down to the wire. In that case I'll have to take Coach K.

Does anyone know how we will be able to watch this game?

We were 4-16 on 3's had 15 to's according to the box but it seemed much higher. Duke is showing 14 and I would guarentee we had more than 1 more than they did. Rodney had a nice game, but lets face it his was the one matchup we could exploit and he should have taken kelly off the dribble more often and put up 20 shots. Duke is less talented overall than some years but everyone really knows their role. If the younger Plumlee gets healthy so they get some depth they will be really good.

Top Bottom