Attendance at first two games

Stan

Reaction score
It's hard not to be concerned about the attendance the first two games. I realize that neither team are household names, but the attendance last night in particular was a major cause of concern. I don't recall a real game (not exhibition) so thinly attended as last night. It's clear that back to back bad seasons, no marquee names on the schedule and the new ticket program have all taken their toll. I know it will get fuller come Big Ten season, but its hard to imagine that we'll have an additional 6-7K show up than we did last night as I bet the actual butts in seats was around 7-8K max. Teague has to look around and see a lot of missed revenue opportunities. Maybe we'll start offering $10 Michigan State tickets for the BT opener like we're offering for the Michigan State football game season ending game. Maybe we can offer a Michigan State package and you get two tickets (one to each Michigan State game) for $15! A blue light special.

I can't tell if there is sarcasm in 7-8K max part.

It's hard not to be concerned about the attendance the first two games. I realize that neither team are household names, but the attendance last night in particular was a major cause of concern. I don't recall a real game (not exhibition) so thinly attended as last night. It's clear that back to back bad seasons, no marquee names on the schedule and the new ticket program have all taken their toll. I know it will get fuller come Big Ten season, but its hard to imagine that we'll have an additional 6-7K show up than we did last night as I bet the actual butts in seats was around 7-8K max. Teague has to look around and see a lot of missed revenue opportunities. Maybe we'll start offering $10 Michigan State tickets for the BT opener like we're offering for the Michigan State football game season ending game. Maybe we can offer a Michigan State package and you get two tickets (one to each Michigan State game) for $15! A blue light special.

No reason to panic Stan. It is all over the country. The other night, I was watching Alabama's game. I noticed there were very few people watching that game. It will be a very hard year for sports. People just don't have the money to spend for these events right now.

Go Gophers

I thought that the crowd on Friday was pretty good for the opener, I was actually surprised there were as many people as there were. You've got to remember that last night was a Monday night, and it was against Toledo.

I'm with you for the most part, as I don't think the general public has a ton of interest in the team right now, but that will change with some wins in the Bahamas.

My biggest problem is with the Ticket pricing. I don't think that the U is making a good effort as far as promoting affordable ticket prices to recent graduates. The crowd in the barn is primarily older, and I'm not seeing where they're going to draw new STH's from. I for one can't afford face value ticket price, especially to watch them play American or Toledo. It would be a huge benefit to the U for them to cater their efforts towards drawing younger fans to the Barn.

GopherHoopsFan

I know in the Iowa game last night, you could have brought 9 of your buddies and sat in the 4th or 5th row behind the basket without a problem.

I know in the Iowa game last night, you could have brought 9 of your buddies and sat in the 4th or 5th row behind the basket without a problem.

Season ticket prices are definitely a big problem, in my opinion. I go because my dad has season tickets, but if he ever cancels them, I'll definitely go with Stubhub for games I care about rather than season tickets, because face value+license+whatever fees are simply too much money for me.

I don't know if early season cupcake games are ever that highly attended, especially on a Monday. I think come conference play though, we'll see the Barn pretty stacked, especially if we grab some big NC wins and are ranked going in.

I don't know if early season cupcake games are ever that highly attended, especially on a Monday. I think come conference play though, we'll see the Barn pretty stacked, especially if we grab some big NC wins and are ranked going in.

True, early games are never a hot ticket but in recent memory I rarely recall seeing the place less than 10,000 (2/3rds full). It's been not even close to that. The Barnyard is particularly down, way down.

I thought that the crowd on Friday was pretty good for the opener, I was actually surprised there were as many people as there were. You've got to remember that last night was a Monday night, and it was against Toledo.

I'm with you for the most part, as I don't think the general public has a ton of interest in the team right now, but that will change with some wins in the Bahamas.

My biggest problem is with the Ticket pricing. I don't think that the U is making a good effort as far as promoting affordable ticket prices to recent graduates. The crowd in the barn is primarily older, and I'm not seeing where they're going to draw new STH's from. I for one can't afford face value ticket price, especially to watch them play American or Toledo. It would be a huge benefit to the U for them to cater their efforts towards drawing younger fans to the Barn.

GopherHoopsFan

I agree they need to make some connection with younger fans and providing a pool of less expensive recent grad tickets is a great idea. In our section we kept having the offer of 3 games for $70 plus vouchers for food flashed in front of us and concluded that as season ticket holders we are in a dysfunctional relationship with the U. We give them all those clams for "preferred" seating and they give us nothing. Toss us a bone with a food voucher for a free popcorn or something for crying out loud! Costs you nothing, practically, and spreads some goodwill among the loyal fan base.

Also agree with below poster about economy hitting people. There is just not enough money to fork out cash like that when you know you can't make it to all of the games and most of the games are not that good anyway.

GopherHoopsFan

You can walk up and get a decent scalped ticket for $5 bucks in these non conference games, if the younger crowd wants to attend a game they will, cost does nothing to discourage it.

I think there will be a decent crowd for sundays richmond game. No vikings game so the fans will come out.

I also think there should be more steps to tickets prices the upper deck should be reduced prices. Would love to see more dads and there sons coming to games because they can afford to go. Most people in the middle class can't afford to travel.. stop to get something to eat.. then pay those kinds of prices for tickets. If u have season tickets this has nothing to do with you... u can afford them.

I think they have $15 tickets plus $5 food voucher for non-conference games.

I think they have $15 tickets plus $5 food voucher for non-conference games.

At my place, I have $0 tickets plus a $6.75 Subway Sandwich and a $17.00 bottle (1.75 liter) of New Amsterdam Gin and tonic (free bag of ice at my liquor store) and forever peace and glory thank you God.

Go Gophers!!!

At my place, I have $0 tickets plus a $6.75 Subway Sandwich and a $17.00 bottle (1.75 liter) of New Amsterdam Gin and tonic (free bag of ice at my liquor store) and forever peace and glory thank you God.

Go Gophers!!!

You're welcome.

You're welcome.

god19, or is it 18, I am still waiting for a PM from either you and/or freshtrout to meet at Mable Murphy's at Fungus Falls. I have a couple of others lined up to join us. I am hoping jamalo/tinyarch will accept our invite.

p.s. we missed you at the chatroom last night. We had a blast, and there was NO bitching or moaning.

If you are referring to Fungus Falls as Fergus Falls then you can count me in as well.

Yes I am, and You got it, Instant. I have been inviting station20 for over a year now. I will PM you if he ever comes thru.

Top Bottom