Elliott Eliason - Strength/Conditioning

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
I haven't been able to watch any Gopher basketball action live to this point, only the scant array of clips that i've seen in highlights. I'm curious to know, from those who've been able to watch, their impressions of Elliot's game and body type this season. From what i can discern, he actually looks like he might have slimmed down a little bit. While being well conditioned might be in his better interests for the new uptempo style of play this season, i'm a bit concerned that he doesn't appear to have gotten any stronger since his freshman year. I've often wondered with the basketball squad, why a lot of our players never seem to be hitting the weight room that hard compared to some of our other sports (and other Big 10 teams). It may be less of an issue this year if both Trevor and Mo can stay healthy, but i'm worried that next season we're not going to have a big body presence in the middle required to deal with the typical rugged Big Ten post players. Thoughts?

I haven't been able to watch any Gopher basketball action live to this point, only the scant array of clips that i've seen in highlights. I'm curious to know, from those who've been able to watch, their impressions of Elliot's game and body type this season. From what i can discern, he actually looks like he might have slimmed down a little bit. While being well conditioned might be in his better interests for the new uptempo style of play this season, i'm a bit concerned that he doesn't appear to have gotten any stronger since his freshman year. I've often wondered with the basketball squad, why a lot of our players never seem to be hitting the weight room that hard compared to some of our other sports (and other Big 10 teams). It may be less of an issue this year if both Trevor and Mo can stay healthy, but i'm worried that next season we're not going to have a big body presence in the middle required to deal with the typical rugged Big Ten post players. Thoughts?

Yeah because Mo is a senior? EE is going to be a force for years to come, remember he is going into his third season with the team, I'm sure he has gained plenty of strength since his redshirt year.

Yeah because Mo is a senior? EE is going to be a force for years to come, remember he is going into his third season with the team, I'm sure he has gained plenty of strength since his redshirt year.

Yeah because Mo has stayed healthy for how many games?! Lose the sarcasm pal. The man has a legitimate point.

Did you really have to start a new thread for this? You said that you had not seen the Gophers in person this season. How could you make all of these comments based on what you have seen in a few clips? Almost all of the people who have seen the Gophers this year have been saying that Gophers look more athletic and strong. Please check the facts before you start something like this. There might be a reason that EE looks thin if he does. Maybe the traning coach thinks that he would move better if he loses a few pounds. What do we know?

Go Gophers

I agree, Elliot looks a little skinny. I think he might turn himself into a decent defensive force blocking/altering. His offense will always be a work in progress. I think he could become an asset on O if he can learn to set up his mates.

Because in basketball flexibility and agility are more important than brute strength. You don't want guys coming in and gaining 25 lbs in one off season. Rodney is significantly bigger than he was 4 years ago but its a slow, gradual process

Eliiot needs to attend a big mans camp in summer and learn some post moves. He just has to be more effective offensively.

Yeah because Mo has stayed healthy for how many games?! Lose the sarcasm pal. The man has a legitimate point.

What was his legitimate point? The guy cited Mo as a reason our front court will be solid this year then completely neglected the fact that he'll be back next year. Our front court is going to be solid for years to come. Mo and EE are only Sophomores, plus we have Oto and Buggs who will be able to play some 4 over the next few years. We also have Alex Foster coming in next year.

Losing weight doesn't always mean they didn't gain strength. EE is at a point where many lose their "baby fat". Could very well mean he lost a lot of fat but also put on muscle.

Good thread, OP. And well titled. I appreciate not having to click on a thread to find out what the OP is writing about.

Actually, when I was watching the last game on line, I had similar thoughts about Eliason. But maybe his s&c program was focused on his core and lower body. I think we fans might have a tendency to focus on arms and shoulders too much because that is what we most easily see. Also, I think some guys are not genetically wired for bulging muscles like others are. They can still be just as strong.

IMO your point about next year is valid because Mo won't be playing many 40 minute games. Just remember, a well developed core and lower body will also lower Eliason's center of gravity and make him harder to push around under the basket.

First: Just because i've only seen limited video doesn't mean i can't make a physical observation. I pointed out that i was asking for other opinions, not begging for vitriol. I don't see where i attacked Elliot in any way, (in fact, i pointed out that conditioning might be more important) so i don't understand the need for the few rude responses when i'm looking for discussion, not an argument.

It does matter a great deal how strong Elliot is because of the position he plays. If he was a wing player, it wouldn't really concern me in the least. This is basic stuff here. Considering how many people ragged on R. Sampson because of his body type, it really makes me think some people will just use any excuse to be arbitrary. As far as Mo, health is the issue and i'm not certain that he will ever be more than a 15 minute man - until he shows he can stay on the court, i won't be prematurely penciling him in for anything.

Madtowngopher - what do the guys you mentioned at the 4 have to do with this conversation other than serve to substantiate that you have nothing worthwhile to contribute to this conversation? Disappointing to say the least.

While I admire the opinions of several people on GopherHole, the opinions are ZIP, because we don't have a clue what college athletics or what a college athlete is. We just try to talk like we are smart, and in doing so, really look dumb.

Did you really have to start a new thread for this? You said that you had not seen the Gophers in person this season. How could you make all of these comments based on what you have seen in a few clips? Almost all of the people who have seen the Gophers this year have been saying that Gophers look more athletic and strong. Please check the facts before you start something like this. There might be a reason that EE looks thin if he does. Maybe the traning coach thinks that he would move better if he loses a few pounds. What do we know?

Go Gophers

Real Truth, Is this an ongoing battle between you and Whofelldownthegopherhole? I'm sure he didn't realize that he needed to consult with you before he started a thread. If you don't like the thread, don't respond. If it truly is frivolous, it will fade. It's as simple as that. Survival of the fittest also applies to threads.

This aggression will not stand man!

Real Truth, Is this an ongoing battle between you and Whofelldownthegopherhole? I'm sure he didn't realize that he needed to consult with you before he started a thread. If you don't like the thread, don't respond. If it truly is frivolous, it will fade. It's as simple as that. Survival of the fittest also applies to threads.

This aggression will not stand man!

I think you mean "Survival of the fattest."

I would win that, baby.

Madtowngopher - what do the guys you mentioned at the 4 have to do with this conversation other than serve to substantiate that you have nothing worthwhile to contribute to this conversation? Disappointing to say the least.

I mentioned them because our front court is going to be solid for years to come, something you hinted at doubting. EE and Mo can more than handle the center position for the next 3 years, I'm not sure who you are looking at in the league that is bigger than those two. Then we will also have some interesting options at the 4 to play alongside those guys. I'm extremely optimistic about the quality of our frontline for the next 3 years.

Top Bottom