Redshirting Buggs

Parski1

Banned
Reaction score
This sucks....I was hoping Buggs would play this season.

Per @natesandell

Sounds like Charles Buggs will be redshirted this season, barring injuries. Tubby said he will be talking to Buggs' parents tonight

http://twitter.com/#!/NSandell/

But, but...didn't Amelia just say....???

buggs was a lower rated recruit who looked good dunking and some people assumed he could help the gophers this year

He didn't play tonight, I'm sure it is at least on the table, not enough playing time to use up a year of eligibilty is probably the reason, with Williams, Mbwake, Eliason, Walker, Ingram, and maybe Oseniek in the middle, it is pretty congested as far as minutes are concerned.

Surprising in light of redshirting Wally too. Would this make it more likely we bank a scholarship next year?

Surprising in light of redshirting Wally too. Would this make it more likely we bank a scholarship next year?

Has the Wally decision been made? We might need his outside shot in league play.

I guess there is a crowded front court so maybe consistent PT would have been tough to come by.

Does anyone think this could be an indication of not being able to sign one of our PF targets from this year's recruiting class?

Does anyone think this could be an indication of not being able to sign one of our PF targets from this year's recruiting class?

I don't think that, Royal. I think it is important for Tubby to help Buggs and family to point out all of the pros and cons of whether or not to redshirt.

Based on this year's depth, I am of the opinion that he redshirt, and be ready to grow, get stronger, better to contribute more next year and the following 3 years.

The jump in the ability levels of college players compared to a new comer just out of high school is enormous. Unless Buggs is able to beat out one of our veterans at the top, he would best serve himself and the Gophers by red shirting.

I am ok with red-shirting both. At best, they would get what, 8-12 min. a game? Practice, bulk up and have 4 years left.

Eliason
Walker
Mbakwe
Ingram
Williams
Hollins
Hollins
Welch

Solid 8 man rotation, with Mav and Otto supplementing.

I would be really surprised if we redshirt both Ellenson and Buggs. What if somebody gets hurt? (I should say, what about WHEN somebody gets hurt, since the odds of making it through a whole season unscathed are practically 0). I suppose that would just mean we have a 5 man bench instead of 6, but for Tubby that's pretty short. Especially in the Big 10 when play gets rugged and guys will get in foul trouble.

Unless he thinks the walk-ons could contribute in an emergency.

I am a huge fan of redshirting both. Will be too late for Wally to make an impact once he is healed up and Buggs just wont get the minutes to warrant wasting a year of eligibility. This plan is fine for this year but we are down to 11 men now, and our two walkon's. Someone else is bound to get hurt or sick at some point so maybe only having 9-10 eligible bodies will be a good thing for Tubby so he cannot mass sub!

My biggest issue is the gapping hole it leaves in our classes. Assuming both redshirt we look like this:

Senior - Austin, Mav
Junior - Mo, Andre, Joe, EE, Oto
Soph -
Freshman - Foster, Ellis, Buggs, Ellenson, one more recruit
1 'ship banked.

I also think we should be looking at a ball handler for our last recruit.

I think there is an alternate way to look at this. Despite the fact that Buggs won't get large minutes, if he plays this year, he gets valuable game experience. Despite the fact that he is behind Trevor & Rodney, both of those guys are gone after this year. I think there's a case to be made that it's better to play Buggs some this year so that he is more ready to contribute next year when we will need him to fill a gap at PF.

I can see it both ways. I think I'd lean toward playing him, if he's ready to make a contribution. Now it's up to Tubby, Buggs and family to determine what's best for both the player and the program.

garbage minutes are not very valuable. If Tubby thought Buggs could play meaningful minutes he would not RS him. He did not get in yesterday. Tubby does think he is worth taking up a scholly for 5 years .

I am ok with red-shirting both. At best, they would get what, 8-12 min. a game? Practice, bulk up and have 4 years left.

Eliason
Walker
Mbakwe
Ingram
Williams
Hollins
Hollins
Welch

Solid 8 man rotation, with Mav and Otto supplementing.

Make that a 9 man rotation, you forgot Coleman.

I like the decision to redshirt Buggs. For starters we don't have enough minutes for him with the depth on our roster. He will also be a lot better 5 years from now than he would ever be this year. He has the build to put on some serious size, let his body and game mature so you can get the most out of him.

I think there is an alternate way to look at this. Despite the fact that Buggs won't get large minutes, if he plays this year, he gets valuable game experience. Despite the fact that he is behind Trevor & Rodney, both of those guys are gone after this year. I think there's a case to be made that it's better to play Buggs some this year so that he is more ready to contribute next year when we will need him to fill a gap at PF.

I can see it both ways. I think I'd lean toward playing him, if he's ready to make a contribution. Now it's up to Tubby, Buggs and family to determine what's best for both the player and the program.

I share your line of thinking (also, Ingram is a senior this year).

If* Tubby thinks (a) he can help some this year or (b) can get enough PT in the nonconference to make it a good learning experience [how much is needed is up for debate], then he should play.

Some fair arguments can be made either way and without being able to see him in practice or know what Buggs and his family are thinking, hard to judge what is best.. although I'd get him some experience this year in hopes it helps along his progression next year when they could use a super long 6'8" forward on defense and the boards.

Someone at the game last night actually said to me, "I read they aren't going to redshirt Buggs this year".. my reply was, "I'm not sure that will be the case... until he hits the floor, it's a possibility".

At the same time, if Tubby says today, "OK, Buggs is going to sit this year", he probably will but* we won't know for sure until ... ~mid January? (technically not until the end of the year, but...)

Re: the argument of sitting him in 2012-13 so he can play for Minnesota in 2016-17 -- there are way too many things that happen to college basketball rosters/coaches/programs... can't count on what next year's roster will look like, much less what it'll look like in 5 years.

I am a huge fan of redshirting both. Will be too late for Wally to make an impact once he is healed up and Buggs just wont get the minutes to warrant wasting a year of eligibility. This plan is fine for this year but we are down to 11 men now, and our two walkon's. Someone else is bound to get hurt or sick at some point so maybe only having 9-10 eligible bodies will be a good thing for Tubby so he cannot mass sub!

My biggest issue is the gapping hole it leaves in our classes. Assuming both redshirt we look like this:

Senior - Austin, Mav
Junior - Mo, Andre, Joe, EE, Oto
Soph -
Freshman - Foster, Ellis, Buggs, Ellenson, one more recruit
1 'ship banked.

I also think we should be looking at a ball handler for our last recruit.

Yeah, that is my concern as well. You can always fill it with a JUCO or transfer. Also, with the class above it being fairly large, they could easily bank one scholarship for the next year. But yeah, if they think Ingram is going to get playing time over Buggs, you might as well redshirt him.

Re: the argument of sitting him in 2012-13 so he can play for Minnesota in 2016-17 -- there are way too many things that happen to college basketball rosters/coaches/programs... can't count on what next year's roster will look like, much less what it'll look like in 5 years.

Valid point, I just think we are too deep to make it worth it to play him this year. We aren't going to need him as much this year compared to years down the road. In all reality, he would probably see 5-8 minutes a game this season, which is minimal. I would rather go with a 9 man rotation and cut down on the deep subs. I'm a Buggs fan as much as the next person and I can't wait to see him on the floor, but I think we are better off waiting. Keep the redshirt on him and if we have injuries, then we can pull it...ala Phillip Nelson. If you play him now, there is no going back, you might as well keep the ace up the sleeve as long as you can if you ask me. He is getting plenty of experience going against Trevor and Rodney in practice everyday.

This morning I watched both of the exhibition games on DVR. After seeing a little bit of Buggs, I think it is smart to redshirt him. He has all of the tools, but he looks a little awkward out there right now. Buggs will be a great replacement for Rodney after this year though.

I am on the side of redshirting both players for this season, I just don't think it is worth using a year of eligibility with the small amount of playing time they would likely be recieving. With those concerned about our depth if there are some injuries if there are some injuries you could play Buggs or Ellenson because the actual redshirt process doesn't happen until after the season and a redshirt can be pulled at any time which was the case with Gopher QB Phil Nelson this season.

bottom line. Tubby does not need him this year and is willing to lock up a scholly for 5 years.

This morning I watched both of the exhibition games on DVR. After seeing a little bit of Buggs, I think it is smart to redshirt him. He has all of the tools, but he looks a little awkward out there right now. Buggs will be a great replacement for Rodney after this year though.

I didn't see either of the exhibition games, but when he played in the Prep School Championship, I remember thinking the same thing. He could shoot, rebound, and defend, but he just looked kind of awkward.

Boy, I don't know. Non-medical redshirts really Buggs me.

No, seriously I don't believe for basketball that players who have not been injured should be redshirted. Players come and go so freely with transfers and to the pros that recruiting is non-stop anyway. If they have the talent to play, then let them play. If they can't play, then you're basically self-imposing a loss of a scholarship player for one year by redshirting them.

Boy, I don't know. Non-medical redshirts really Buggs me.

No, seriously I don't believe for basketball that players who have not been injured should be redshirted. Players come and go so freely with transfers and to the pros that recruiting is non-stop anyway. If they have the talent to play, then let them play. If they can't play, then you're basically self-imposing a loss of a scholarship player for one year by redshirting them.

Guys like buggs and ellenson reshirting makes practices much more competitive. These guys will be chomping at the bit to prove themselves on a daily basis and it can only make everyone else better. I like the Buggs kid, he's very athletic and once his skill level gets better this kid will be a hell of a player. He's a great find by the staff. Kid has big upside IMO

I think the Gophers will only benefit from redshirting Buggs and Ellenson. If the Gophers constantly brought in major talent, it'd be one thing. But they don't and never will...so having these kids a year older, hopefully smarter and definitely stronger should benefit them and the program. I don't think it fits for every player, but I do like it for these two. If they had wanted to redshirt Mav, I would have been sad.

A few thoughts.....

* Buggs is not a PF. Those who think he'll replace Trevor or Rodney will be disappointed. He's much more of a finesse SF who likes to play in transition & shoot the 3.

* He basically plays the same position as Oto. I think Tubby was trying to motivate Oto by saying Buggs wouldn't red-shirt. I know Oto's shot isn't falling right now but in the end Buggs just isn't significantly better than Oto, thus Red-Shirt makes sense.

* This team is so deep up front there's just no minutes for Buggs. Rodney, Oto & Joe all play the same position as Buggs & are all ahead of him.

I disagree....while I feel the comparison between Buggs and Trevor is an outlier from sane gopher fans, there are similarities with Rodney IMO. Both athletes, essentially the same height, and both were wing players in high school. From what I've seen Buggs does have a better jumper, and handle. I am fine with the redshirt.

Top Bottom