Post game notes from Tubby, Trevor, Maverick and Rodney

GopherLady

Reaction score
Hey guys - as always, I don't catch everything...but here's the gist of the post game notes:

Austin Hollins:

All the players "ooooing" and "ahhhing" over the media going to Austin Hollins 1st (instead of Trevor). Mo Walker taking pics.
I felt really good tonight, I focused on the passing lane and playing good defense.

Maverick:

I felt good coming off the bench I felt real fresh, kept it fresh

I let the game come to me and stick with defense 1st

It feels good to win like this, our team has the capability to do this

Tubby said we're playing good d at half and to keep up the intensity.

We're going to work on 3 pointers and free throws. We're getting wide open shots we just need to knock them down.

Rodney:

Austin carried a lot of energy in this game, and he better keep it up, he started out the season like that.

The coaches told me that when I'm gone, they see Buggs stepping up and taking my minutes.

I'm helping him figure out the system, with plays, stay confident. We know that he's real good.

Trevor

This was a good game for us, and we have to keep building on this

When asked if he'll be ready for Duke with a huge smile said "oh, I'll be ready."

I'm the 3rd or 4th big we've got coming off the bench, that says a lot about our depth.

Someone should create an award for me, 11th man of year. (Joking and smiling)

On the dunk, felt great. The applause from the crowd was fantastic.

I got some scratches and blood on me, but it felt great. I think I knocked over someone's computer!

We played quick, the way coach wants us to play

Been working on the full court press since summertime, it will be one of our strengths moving forward.

Tubby

It's good to get this game under our belt. You're always nervous, they played hard, pressured the ball and forced turnovers.

We shot the ball well early in the game. Joe and Austin set the tone.

We've always tried to be uptempo. (When asked about pressing)

I like the way Elliott has been contesting passes

The 2nd half they played the zone, and we missed shots right away.

I was impressed with their intensity. It doesn't matter who you play. I'm more concerned about if people are doing what they are suppose to.

I think Trevor played extremely well. He's doing the things we've asked him to do.

Austin struggled with 3's, but had some good looks. The steals he had got the team going.

I don't think missing 3's discouraged them from shooting. I'd rather we shoot less and make more of them.

We're going to visit with Charles Buggs' parents tonight on whether we'll redshirt him.

Tubby

The 2nd half they played the zone, and we missed shots right away.

Zone defenses gave us fits last year. This was the one thing that had me concerned tonight. The zone tonight sagged deeply and left several wide-open looks, which were missed. We played lots and lots of guys tonight. Hoping a) they can make a few more threes against the zone and b) someone (Andre H. or Joe C.) can dribble-drive penetrate and get zone defense guys out of position for kick-out 3s or little hand-off/shuffle pass dunks.

At this point I am so confused about the Mbakwe situation. Can someone please try to clear this up for me?

1. Is he being "punished" for his off the field trouble? Is that why he's been the last man off the bench?

2. Is he the last man off the bench because they are trying to slowly get him back in to game shape?

3. Can we expect him to be in the starting line up come B1G season? Heck, come Duke?

4. Why is he only getting 15 minutes against American? Isn't this the best time to get him in to game shape? Let the man loose against a weak opponent and let him find his game again.

5. If Tubby is gonna bring him in off the bench all year, how much does that hurt his draft stock?

This first game might have had a statement built into it about how Trevor has to represent the U. But, he is coming back from major surgery and he needs to build his conditioning up and not blow the knee out again. There is no doubt, if he is physically able, that he will be starting come crunch time.

What was really exciting last night is that we won big and really did not need him or Mo. This team appears to be very diverse and can throw a lot of different looks at teams.

I saw Trevor get out rebounded twice last night when he had the better position. He's just not 100 percent yet. That dunk at the end of the game had to have given him some confidence though.

I saw Trevor get out rebounded twice last night when he had the better position. He's just not 100 percent yet. That dunk at the end of the game had to have given him some confidence though.

I agree, at first when he came in it was more of the same that we've seen so far. However, in the 2nd half when he actually got a good bit of playing time he started to find himself. Also, did anyone else notice how he grabs at his good knee every minute or so down the court? It looks like a nervous habit to me, but my buddy next to me for some reason thought he was favoring it. He took it back after Trevor threw down that dunk, though, haha.

I agree, at first when he came in it was more of the same that we've seen so far. However, in the 2nd half when he actually got a good bit of playing time he started to find himself. Also, did anyone else notice how he grabs at his good knee every minute or so down the court? It looks like a nervous habit to me, but my buddy next to me for some reason thought he was favoring it. He took it back after Trevor threw down that dunk, though, haha.

He adjusts that big sock he has on the leg without the brace. He doesn't look comfortable at all in it and is constantly pulling it up.

After tearing your ACL it takes a little while to regain confidence in your knee. I had to deal with this after I tore my ACL. In the back of your head you are constantly wondering if it will hold up when you jump, cut, and plant. It goes away the more you play, but it is definitely an issue once you start playing live games again. So I think that is part of it, as is the conditioning part.

At this point I am so confused about the Mbakwe situation. Can someone please try to clear this up for me?

1. Is he being "punished" for his off the field trouble? Is that why he's been the last man off the bench?

2. Is he the last man off the bench because they are trying to slowly get him back in to game shape?

3. Can we expect him to be in the starting line up come B1G season? Heck, come Duke?

4. Why is he only getting 15 minutes against American? Isn't this the best time to get him in to game shape? Let the man loose against a weak opponent and let him find his game again.

5. If Tubby is gonna bring him in off the bench all year, how much does that hurt his draft stock?

It just looks like Trevor is not quite back yet with his intensity. In the second half he started driving for loose balls and that got him going. His dunk was electric! I think it is just a matter of him gaining his confidence and intimidation factor. Until he does that, the other players are better and will get the playing time.

Achilles heel of this team is still trying to score in a half-court set. Too much standing and holding the ball and then simply missing open looks. The defensive pressure and intensity resulting in transition baskets was great, but disciplined teams will force us to play in the half-court and we must respond better.

It was very nice to see Mbakwe get up on that lob at the end of the game. I'm wondering when the brace is coming off because it sure seems to hamper his play.

Top Bottom