Florida State loses to South Alabama at home

EG#9

Reaction score
Don't think this is good news for the Gophers. That's going to be a tough game coming off the tournament, would much rather see FSU win at this point in the season.

Tell me how Florida State losing affects the Gophers? And please don't say ranking.

Tell me how Florida State losing affects the Gophers? And please don't say ranking.

We play FSU almost immediately after returning home from a very competitive tournament. The Gophers could go anywhere from 3-0 to 1-2 in said tournament and it wouldn't be a good deal if FSU is considered a bad loss from an RPI/SOS point of view. I'd also like to see the team tested by a ranked opponent on the road prior to B1G play, and that seems like a long shot now.

Beat Duke. There's our quality win. Our two games against Indiana, Michigan State, Wisconsin, one against Ohio State, and one against Michigan don't have me too concerned about the number of opportunities we'll have for quality wins.

Beat Duke. There's our quality win. Our two games against Indiana, Michigan State, Wisconsin, one against Ohio State, and one against Michigan don't have me too concerned about the number of opportunities we'll have for quality wins.

Sorry, but your argument makes no sense whatsoever. We need as many quality wins as possible.

Unless we plan on being a bubble team, I don't see why it matters if FSU is terrible or not. Them losing to South Alabama tells me one of two things:

1. They are rusty and will recover. Therefore making a loss to them not a bad one by any means.

2. They are terrible. Therefore making a loss to them unacceptable and deserving of a bad mark on our resume.

Unless we plan on being a bubble team, I don't see why it matters if FSU if terrible or not.

Well, with Bucknell winning at Purdue, that means any wins we get over Purdue will not be quality wins, right?

Well, with Bucknell winning at Purdue, that means any wins we get over Purdue will not be quality wins, right?

So now you're comparing a Big Ten game (our last of the season) to an out of conference game that no one will care about come March?

Once again, unless we plan on being a bubble team. I don't care about how other teams perform. I would have liked to hear a reporter ask Tubby what he thought about Florida State losing and listen to Tubby laugh him out of the building for such an irrelevant question. If we find our way on to the bubble this year, it is the biggest disappointment in Tubby Smith's tenure. Even Ruesse of all people predicted a sweet 16 run for this year and even went as far as to compliment them on the radio.

I'm sure Tubby Smith isn't losing any sleep over it.

So now you're comparing a Big Ten game (our last of the season) to an out of conference game that no one will care about come March?

Once again, unless we plan on being a bubble team. I don't care about how other teams perform. I would have liked to hear a reporter ask Tubby what he thought about Florida State losing and listen to Tubby laugh him out of the building for such an irrelevant question. If we find our way on to the bubble this year, it is the biggest disappointment in Tubby Smith's tenure. Even Ruesse of all people predicted a sweet 16 run for this year and even went as far as to compliment them on the radio.

I'm sure Tubby Smith isn't losing any sleep over it.

Yea well the people that select and seed the NCAA tournament care about how the teams we play do. Its obviously in our interest to beat ranked teams, RPI top 25/50/100 etc. And of course Tubby wouldn't be concerned about Florida State losing, he should be only thinking about Toledo.

This is quite a display of not understanding how college basketball works.

This is quite the display over overstating the importance of an out of conference game.

My bad guys. You're exactly right. Our game against FSU will have a large impact on whether or not we go dancing in March.

Our Big Ten record is really far down on the list in terms of what the committee looks at.

This is quite the display over overstating the importance of an out of conference game.

My bad guys. You're exactly right. Our game against FSU will have a large impact on whether or not we go dancing in March.

Our Big Ten record is really far down on the list in terms of what the committee looks at.

Select and seed. Read the bold text man. The NCAA selection committee does this thing where they seed teams 1-68 based on how good they think each team is. I don't know if you think its a random draw once you're in or what.

So if we lose to FSU, would we not deserve a lower seed? All I'm saying is that speculating about FSU this early seems pretty ridiculous. Beat them, like we should, and we move on to the next game. Lose to them, and we deserve a mark on the resume.

If we don't think we are better than FSU and are worried how a loss to them might look to the selection committee, then we are clearly not top 5 in the B1G.

Very entertaining pissing match. Good job guys.

If you say Florida State's success doesn't mean anything, you're clearly an idiot.

If you say Florida State's success doesn't mean anything, you're clearly an idiot.

Not nothing. Very very little.

I appreciate the idiot reference though. That speaks volumes of your intelligence.

Not nothing. Very very little.

Virtually every post you made prior to this indicated you believed it had NO impact on the Gophers, when clearly, it does. If FSU only loses this ONE game? Okay, it will be little impact. But if FSU isn't as good as we thought, then it will no doubt have a real impact on the Gophers. Not just if they're on the bubble, but seeding. Having 6 vs. having 7 quality wins or whatever could be worth a seed or two, in addition to our RPI dropping.

This has nothing to do with whether we beat them or not. It is just one less quality win/loss and an RPI hit, which could affect or seeding come March. There is your impact of FSU losing games they shouldn't on the Gophers this season.

FSU is a good but not great team. They could well be one of the bubble teams come March, and them losing to USA screams NIT. A win in Tallahassee will help a little, a loss there could end up as a bad loss. The Battle 4 Atlantis was always a bigger nonconference opportunity for the Gophers to help build a case for a high seed in the NCAA tourney. I don't think you should be disappointed that FSU has proved beatable - it's better to win on the road against a mediocre team than lose on the road to a great team. The FSU game is not a must-win, but it's a winnable road game, so it's one you've got to win in order to maximize your seed.

I remember in 08-09, nobody, including the selection committee, remembered our non-con win over Louisville. Or our win over Butler the next year. Nobody cared about those wins.

I remember in 08-09, nobody, including the selection committee, remembered our non-con win over Louisville. Or our win over Butler the next year. Nobody cared about those wins.

Louisville was ranked 8.
Butler was ranked 10.

Both of those teams made the Final Four. Did I miss the point when this thread transitioned to talking about the Duke game?

Louisville was ranked 8.
Butler was ranked 10.

Both of those teams made the Final Four. Did I miss the point when this thread transitioned to talking about the Duke game?

You asserted that nobody will care about this game come March; I pointed out that idea is ridiculous, as it can be important to pick up as many meaningful wins early in the season as possible, like a true road win against a quality ACC opponent. And FSU could have been a Top 15 or Top 20 team by the time we played them in late November--you know, if they didn't lose to USA. But no, that loss is meaningless to us.

Very entertaining pissing match. Good job guys.

I want to commend you on how well you reffed this match, Madman. Keep up the good work.

Your Supervisor of Officials.

I think the selection committee definitely had those wins in mind when including the Gophers in the field of 65.

In 2009, the Gophers had almost exactly the same overall record as PSU (PSU had one more loss), and PSU had a 10-8 Big Ten mark compared to 9-9 for the Gophers. The Gophers had a nonconference win against #1 seed Louisville (who did not make the F4 that year, BTW) and PSU didn't. The Gophers make the tourney and PSU goes to the NIT. And you don't think the Louisville win made a difference?

You do realize that (especially in the pre-68 team tourney) teams don't often get at-large bids to the tournament with 13-losses, as the Gophers had in 2010? I'd say their win over #5 seed Butler was a big factor in them being included.

Yep. Who you play, where you play 'em, who you beat, and who you lose to matters to the Selection Committee. It's that simple. That's why every year I hope every one of the Gophers' nonconference opponents has a successful season. Whether we beat 'em or lose to 'em, the better they do the better it is for the Gophers.

So yes, I'm disappointed FSU lost to USA, but I suspect Leonard Hamilton won't let that ruin the Noles' entire season.

I think the selection committee definitely had those wins in mind when including the Gophers in the field of 65.

In 2009, the Gophers had almost exactly the same overall record as PSU (PSU had one more loss), and PSU had a 10-8 Big Ten mark compared to 9-9 for the Gophers. The Gophers had a nonconference win against #1 seed Louisville (who did not make the F4 that year, BTW) and PSU didn't. The Gophers make the tourney and PSU goes to the NIT. And you don't think the Louisville win made a difference?

You do realize that (especially in the pre-68 team tourney) teams don't often get at-large bids to the tournament with 13-losses, as the Gophers had in 2010? I'd say their win over #5 seed Butler was a big factor in them being included.

I agree with you; I was being sarcastic. Those games were crucial on our resumes.

Top Bottom