MN Daily: Saul Smith pleads guilty to DWI, gets community service

1st week unpaid leave, on paid leave/slash vacation until nov 13. What a scam! 300 buck fine sounds more like a speeding ticket

That's pretty standard 1st time DWI sentencing treatment per statute and judicial policy, with heavy community service in lieu of jail time. No surprises on that sentence. If you add the amount he paid a private lawyer, opportunity cost in doing community service, increased insurance rate for at least the next 3 years, there's more to it than just a $300 fine. Plus he's on probation and likely has limited driving privileges. I'm not apologizing for his behavior, just saying he was treated in a uniform manner.

That's pretty standard 1st time DWI sentencing treatment per statute and judicial policy, with heavy community service in lieu of jail time. No surprises on that sentence. If you add the amount he paid a private lawyer, opportunity cost in doing community service, increased insurance rate for at least the next 3 years, there's more to it than just a $300 fine. Plus he's on probation and likely has limited driving privileges. I'm not apologizing for his behavior, just saying he was treated in a uniform manner.

How much higher are the increased insurance rates these days? Isn't there also a hefty expense to have your license reinstated? Thank goodness I never had one of those.

What I think might be most interesting is how the DWI might impact Saul's out of state recruiting logistics. For example, I know entry into Canada may be denied for someone with a DWI ( although I've heard this may be relaxed for a first time visit ).

Top Bottom