Column: Rodney Williams Represents What is Right About College Basketball

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Rodney Williams Represents What is Right About College Basketball
It's time for Gophers fans to appreciate his career.
By Rob Litt

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/190872?referrer_id=388419

He didn't ask for the hype. He didn't seek the attention NBA Mock Draft experts. He didn't set unrealistic expectations for himself. No, Rodney Williams didn't ask for any of that.

Instead, all he's done at the U is stay focused on and off the court throughout his career. He's on pace to graduate, he's a team leader on and off the court, he's improved every year he's been a Gopher and he's positioning himself to get drafted in the NBA. In other words, he's an example of everything that is right with college basketball.

It's time that Gopher fans appreciate who he is, what he's become and what he's meant to the University of Minnesota.

Rodney came to the U in a much-hyped 2009 recruiting class that included Royce White, Trevor Mbakwe and Justin Cobbs. Royce never played a minute for the Gophers, Cobbs lasted a year before bolting, and Trevor's legal and injury issues are well-documented. Meanwhile Rodney has been a pillar of consistency both on and off the court.

All too often in the world of college basketball, fans and media get upset if players don't meet the expectations that they've set for the athlete. The one-and-done era has done that to itself. We put high school kids on pedestals they often don't want or deserve and then get upset when they don't achieve that. We criticize young freshmen and sophomores that they don't have complete games. We pay more attention to YouTube shenanigans than we do taking care of business. And as a result, we don't enjoy the ride as much as we should.

Well Gopher fans, it's time to enjoy the Rodney Williams ride as well as the fruits of his labor.

Criticism has been thrown Tubby Smith's way as a guy that players don't improve under. Sometimes that has merit, but sometimes it doesn't. Rodney Williams is a great example of the latter. No player has improved year over year like Rodney Williams has at the U since Quincy Lewis more than a decade ago. The numbers don't lie, and neither do the intangibles such as leadership, consistency and attitude. (Click Here for Rodney's year over year statistical improvement)

Rodney's leadership is also obvious. Players like Austin Hollins, Wally Ellenson, Charles Buggs and others comment on how he mentors them.

"I am a lot more of a vocal leader now," Williams said. "I want to show guys on the court and be somebody that guys will listen to. I think for the most part it's working."

Charles Buggs said that Rodney specifically has mentored him. "I’m always asking Rodney questions. He’s always telling me how he’s done this and that and he’s always giving me tips."

"I'm trying to work with Charles on keeping his composure, trying to demonstrate how to behave on and off the court" Williams said.

The book on Williams has one big chapter left to be written. It will be filled with amazing highlight dunks, improved shooting and ball handling, intimidating blocks and an ever-present smile. More importantly, it will be filled with a boy who entered the program four years ago and is leaving a man.

"I want to be known as hard worker throughout the bad and good times. I want to be known as a good player but also a good person," Williams said.

He already has that reputation and fortunately for Gopher fans, we have a full year to let him know how much we appreciate him.

Another keeper from Rob. Hit it right on the head, but I especially liked this. ...

"And as a result, we don't enjoy the ride as much as we should."

Am a big believer in enjoying the journey and the ups and downs that come with it, not just the 24-hour news cycle where you're as good (or bad) as your last game. We have ESPN, in large part, to thank for that.

Another keeper from Rob. Hit it right on the head, but I especially liked this. ...

"And as a result, we don't enjoy the ride as much as we should."

Am a big believer in enjoying the journey and the ups and downs that come with it, not just the 24-hour news cycle where you're as good (or bad) as your last game. We have ESPN, in large part, to thank for that.

I couldn't agree more, and really liked this article. He did nail it. People had these crazy high expectations for Rodney since day 1, and as athletic as he is, it takes time to develop. He wasn't Royce, he needed to get bigger, stronger and acclimated. And even though it should be a given, the fact that he's stayed out of trouble, has done well in school, and works hard day in and day out speaks volumes of him.

I'm looking forward to Rodney to continue improving!

It's funny cause all the talk from many evaluators was he would need time to develop, there was talk of red-shirting him even, so it's not like it's a shock he took time before really blossoming. Funny enough, his fast start (he hit double figures in his first like three or four games I believe) might have only made it worse for him as expectations really skyrocketed then. I can't lie, even I had probably over the top expectations of him early on.

Hopefully, this season can be the ultimate culmination for him, starring on the biggest of stages and having a nationwide audience able to watch him shine in the NCAA tournament and leading the Gophers deep along with Trevor.

A nice article. Seems to be a nice guy who has had zero off the court issues.

I hope he ends up in the NBA

Nice job, Rob. From day one, Rodney has been nothing but respectful of his coaches, peers, the community and the game. We can ask of no more from a D-1 athlete. Here is hoping his improvment continues this year bringing success to the team and prepping him for the next level of play. No recent Gopher deserves it more.

Nice job, Rob. From day one, Rodney has been nothing but respectful of his coaches, peers, the community and the game. We can ask of no more from a D-1 athlete. Here is hoping his improvment continues this year bringing success to the team and prepping him for the next level of play. No recent Gopher deserves it more.

I am proud to have had Rodney in the maroon and gold for 4 years. He's a classy guy and I really hope he sees post-college success (preferably leadingt the Wolves to a title!).

Now, maybe I won't catch so much hell from GH commentors and/or Admin when I call out the insolence and insulting comments by others on GopherHole.

I have followed the Gophers in all sports since the late 50's, and trust me, sports fans, Rodney Williams is the epitome of what College Athletics should be, and for the most part is, all about.

Good luck to you, Rodney and our Gophers. Win or lose, you ALL have a fan here with the Delightful Dr.Don.

GO GOPHERS!!!

Great column, Rob.

I'm sure Rodney enjoys reading the nice comments, but so many fans need to hear that perspective as well--and not just as it relates to Rodney.

I am proud to have had Rodney in the maroon and gold for 4 years. He's a classy guy and I really hope he sees post-college success (preferably leadingt the Wolves to a title!).

No doubt, what a great kid. I hope he has a healthy an happy life. I look forward to seeing great things from hin this year. A true Gopher.

Top Bottom