Nadine Babu STrib blog: Gophers Need to Dig out of the Slumping Ticket Sales Hole

Telling, very telling.

BTW GL - that was very nicely done.

Thanks, I appreciate it. It really breaks my heart to see The Barn so empty and dead - Gopher basketball has always been the thing I loved the most.

We could have drawn more Basketball fans at Nemzek Hall at MSUMoorhead for an Exhibition Game. It is disgusting to see the laissez Faire attitude of the Gophers...Bitch about the Exhibition games charges for tickets, but don't go to the games. These people know their basketball up here, and to bring Big Mo to the outstate would increase interest statewide. Let the outlanders know what a real top of the lane screen and roll is. Mo sets the screen and all of the opponents roll off him onto the floor.

Sell the product outstate, the U would be surprised at the expansion of interest.

We could have drawn more Basketball fans at Nemzek Hall at MSUMoorhead for an Exhibition Game. It is disgusting to see the laissez Faire attitude of the Gophers...Bitch about the Exhibition games charges for tickets, but don't go to the games. These people know their basketball up here, and to bring Big Mo to the outstate would increase interest statewide. Let the outlanders know what a real top of the lane screen and roll is. Mo sets the screen and all of the opponents roll off him onto the floor.

Sell the product outstate, the U would be surprised at the expansion of interest.

Outstate...is that out of the metro area, or out of state? Either way, there are 3 million people in the Twin Cities, that have easy access to the Barn to buy tickets. Let's focus on that 1st. No offense, but that makes absolutely no sense. Focus your efforts.

Outstate...is that out of the metro area, or out of state? Either way, there are 3 million people in the Twin Cities, that have easy access to the Barn to buy tickets. Let's focus on that 1st. No offense, but that makes absolutely no sense. Focus your efforts.

:clap:

Out of the metro area you knew what it meant. Why was the barn so bare vs mankato? It's obvious the metro only cares about the big names comin to the barn or we would have had 15k last night. It's obvious the gophers have a very limited fan base that you and the other metro-elites have decided the metro is much more important. That bothers me and I know it bothers a large number outside of the metro aka out state. Why not try something new, like building a Minnesota fanbase where the U reaches out to all the fans. Give kids a chance to see these guys in person so they can start dreaming about being the next Trevor mbakwe or Rodney Williams or Blake hoffarbor? When you guys are done figuring out how to get 15k out of 3 million to the barn, the fanbase that didn't matter will be spending their money somewhere else

GL, thanks for the information. I've been curious how many season ticket holders we'd lose through the Gopher Points process. Maybe it had been publicized or announced earlier, but this is the first I've seen of it. 1000 season tickets is a lot to go down in a year. This has been discussed ad nauseum on this board, but...not having done the math, I'm guessing they might have come out a wash or even ahead financially due to the seat fees, but it's not worth it if the arena is half empty and you lose some of your home court advantage as a result. That's a program destroyer, not a program builder. In a way, that's like cannibalizing the program.

GL is right. The Guthrie and the Children's Theatre treat season ticket holders like valued people. Even if the perks have little tangible value, it makes you feel like they know you're there. U athletics treats us the same as the institution did when we were students there - like a number.

Out of the metro area you knew what it meant. Why was the barn so bare vs mankato? It's obvious the metro only cares about the big names comin to the barn or we would have had 15k last night. It's obvious the gophers have a very limited fan base that you and the other metro-elites have decided the metro is much more important. That bothers me and I know it bothers a large number outside of the metro aka out state. Why not try something new, like building a Minnesota fanbase where the U reaches out to all the fans. Give kids a chance to see these guys in person so they can start dreaming about being the next Trevor mbakwe or Rodney Williams or Blake hoffarbor? When you guys are done figuring out how to get 15k out of 3 million to the barn, the fanbase that didn't matter will be spending their money somewhere else

So...what you're saying is - give up the revenue from ticket sales, even at 8000 people, that's $120,000 at $15 a piece, get the players all packed up, rent a bus, get hotel rooms, make the entire team travel for an exhibition game to a D2 or D3 school, so people that can't make it to the Barn can see the team? You should email that to Teague, if he did this, it would make the 800K loss be completely forgotten!

GL, thanks for the information. I've been curious how many season ticket holders we'd lose through the Gopher Points process. Maybe it had been publicized or announced earlier, but this is the first I've seen of it. 1000 season tickets is a lot to go down in a year. This has been discussed ad nauseum on this board, but...not having done the math, I'm guessing they might have come out a wash or even ahead financially due to the seat fees, but it's not worth it if the arena is half empty and you lose some of your home court advantage as a result. That's a program destroyer, not a program builder. In a way, that's like cannibalizing the program.

GL is right. The Guthrie and the Children's Theatre treat season ticket holders like valued people. Even if the perks have little tangible value, it makes you feel like they know you're there. U athletics treats us the same as the institution did when we were students there - like a number.

I don't think they had announced it, I kept hearing stats like 95% renewed - so you didn't miss the info. Not sure how much more they got on seat fees. But keep in mind, some of the prime seat fees decreased, I think Dunkers like seats were $1000 or $2000 a piece, and they went down. Guessing it's close to a wash.

The people are there; the interest is not. If you can't sell to your immediate fan base in the metro then how can you possibly sell it to outstate fans? Driving interest works the same way in the city as it does outstate; people pony up for something they want to see if it's worth it. I'm not convinced that the same marketing method would magically work outside the metro area (i.e. exhibition games).

A statewide exhibition tour would be cool, I agree. But again, if you can't sell Gopher basketball in Minneapolis then how you can you sell it to Mankato to the point where it's a profitable venture?

(Quick aside that just occurred to me): Wouldn't the local fan base be backing the Mavericks in the first place (or wherever you'd be touring: Duluth, etc.)? That would seem to work against the university's efforts. Unless you're proposing the Gophers play teams like MSU-Mankato at a neutral site in Willmar or something. That sounds like an attendance disaster.

WHOOPS - meant to post this on the football version of this thread (updated 'Gopher Greats'. But the point remains the same!

A Strib blog/column that uses facts and data to help draw its conclusions and recommendations? Well wonders never cease! Some 'colleagues' of yours should take note, even if you are just a guest blogger.

But in all seriousness, nice job GL. I love your idea to keep Season Ticket holders feeling valued. After all, us season ticket holders can be the U's best advertisements if we're going around telling our peers how much we enjoy being a season ticket holder. I know I pitch to people all the time the benefits of getting your own permanent seats.

I was a Milwaukee Bucks season ticket holder for 2 years, and they worked pretty hard to retain me one year, offering some very nice giveaways for renewing customers, and even offering season ticket holders to a Suite for part of the game to chat with other season ticket holders, ticket reps, and enjoy the game and some free drinks/food for a quarter. It worked well on me, and I re-upped. The following year (strike-shortened season) the ticket office was not very communicative or willing to keep ticket holders engaged with the season and I decided to drop off. Now, I love Gopher football exponentially more than NBA basketball, but the point is the little things count sometimes. Extra attention and little perks are nice. And they keep people coming back.

Why not have certain games where "Season ticket holders from Sections X to Y, are welcome to come on up to the DQ Club Room for some snacks and beverages, and a chance to get your free Media Guide autographed by former Gopher greats Trent Tucker and Quincy Lewis"? Something like this could run all season, covering different sections over the year, and maybe having different Gopher greats in attendance. This could run 2 hours prior to gametime, or perhaps even during the game. Not expensive, and something that engages ticket holders to show up.

More than any of this though, winning will help create more demand for tix. Right now its fairly cheap to scalp in or go StubHub (or even thru the U) that it dissuades many from investing in season tickets, especially when fans can almost sit whereever they want due to low attendance.

The people are there; the interest is not. If you can't sell to your immediate fan base in the metro then how can you possibly sell it to outstate fans? Driving interest works the same way in the city as it does outstate; people pony up for something they want to see if it's worth it. I'm not convinced that the same marketing method would magically work outside the metro area (i.e. exhibition games).

A statewide exhibition tour would be cool, I agree. But again, if you can't sell Gopher basketball in Minneapolis then how you can you sell it to Mankato to the point where it's a profitable venture?

(Quick aside that just occurred to me): Wouldn't the local fan base be backing the Mavericks in the first place (or wherever you'd be touring: Duluth, etc.)? That would seem to work against the university's efforts. Unless you're proposing the Gophers play teams like MSU-Mankato at a neutral site in Willmar or something. That sounds like an attendance disaster.

You make some valid points. In the school I teach at the majority of the kids that follow college bball or football don't talk about the gophers. I know this is the same trend throughout the northern half of the state. They majority of the kids wear team gear like Michigan or Ohio st, or Oregon and virtually all the sec schools. Bball it's all duke and all UNC with Kentucky starting to trend. Kids that talk about the gophers get made fun of, I have watched it happen. The kids on my team talk about how Kentucky is the sweetest thing since sliced bread. I don't know if going to d2 venues will peak interest statewide, but I know it would be a huge event at St. Cloud st, moorhead, bemidji, Duluth etc. it would get people talking and people would be really excited to see us in person when normally they wouldn't spend a weekend in the winter traveling to the cities. If kids are buying gopher gear after playing a d2 team near their hometown instead of Sioux or bison or the dukes of the world, it would be a success. If it gets radio and television ratings to increase r's a success. If its a great performance maybe parents the following year plot out a trip to watch something they saw locally, I don't know? I don't know if it would work, I just know that the barn is empty during these games and the things were are doing currently hasn't been working.

Great list - GL and I have discussed this many times. Someone ought to forward this to the new AD
I have season tickets to other venues and the ticket swap is a big plus

Great list - GL and I have discussed this many times. Someone ought to forward this to the new AD
I have season tickets to other venues and the ticket swap is a big plus

Thanks, Moonbeam - I was actually going to try to get your input today, but knew you'd be busy with clients. Did you end up renewing this year? If so, where are your seats? We had GREAT seats.

Oh, and I'm sure Teague has seen it, he is really plugged in. After my student ticket one, all I had to do is introduce myself by 1st name, and he knew who I was, what I've done, and the ideas. I have a lot of faith in him.

Great article Nadine. You look at the problem realistically. If we are lucky to get that much, most of the media stops there. I think it is great that you went on to offer some possible solutions. Above and beyond!

You make some valid points. In the school I teach at the majority of the kids that follow college bball or football don't talk about the gophers. I know this is the same trend throughout the northern half of the state. They majority of the kids wear team gear like Michigan or Ohio st, or Oregon and virtually all the sec schools. Bball it's all duke and all UNC with Kentucky starting to trend. Kids that talk about the gophers get made fun of, I have watched it happen. The kids on my team talk about how Kentucky is the sweetest thing since sliced bread. I don't know if going to d2 venues will peak interest statewide, but I know it would be a huge event at St. Cloud st, moorhead, bemidji, Duluth etc. it would get people talking and people would be really excited to see us in person when normally they wouldn't spend a weekend in the winter traveling to the cities. If kids are buying gopher gear after playing a d2 team near their hometown instead of Sioux or bison or the dukes of the world, it would be a success. If it gets radio and television ratings to increase r's a success. If its a great performance maybe parents the following year plot out a trip to watch something they saw locally, I don't know? I don't know if it would work, I just know that the barn is empty during these games and the things were are doing currently hasn't been working.

This is what drives me nuts. The U is in a very unique situation-the only D1 school in the state(yea, don't start that game on ice crap). It is truly the team of Minnesota and yet next to nothing in marketing outstate(didn't used to be that way). It's not just about students, alumni and MSP. As far as play an ex game outstate..forget it guys.

BTW nice job GL. I liked the use of the graph, maybe dip4broke will be impressed.:)

Thanks, Moonbeam - I was actually going to try to get your input today, but knew you'd be busy with clients. Did you end up renewing this year? If so, where are your seats? We had GREAT seats.

Oh, and I'm sure Teague has seen it, he is really plugged in. After my student ticket one, all I had to do is introduce myself by 1st name, and he knew who I was, what I've done, and the ideas. I have a lot of faith in him.
We kept our same great non-premium seats! When it came time to renew it seemed that the price to upgrade was higher than what was originally proposed and I just couldn't see that it would be a cost effective improvement. We still have preseason games we can't go to that we're having trouble getting rid of - partly because some people who have taken tickets from us in the past have bought cheap packages thru the U...

Thanks, I appreciate it. It really breaks my heart to see The Barn so empty and dead - Gopher basketball has always been the thing I loved the most.

You and me both. Witnessing the decline at The Barn is difficult for this fan.

I remember the Cincinnati game in Dec of 96 (I think, someone help me here) - That was the BEST game atmosphere I witnesses at the Barn. EVER!!

It was electric, on fire. And a lot of fun. Gophs lost in OT, but I vividly remember the entire thing.

The magic just isnt there any longer.

Just like like Gopher football same thing for hoops....it's simple.....win and they will start to show up.

I'm not sure how I feel about the out state games but one thing in your post did strike me and I think it is the #1 reason the U lacks at times.

UK is cool. UNC is cool. Duke is cool. They are literally brands like Nike, it's what all the cool kids do and like.

Minnesota basketballs marketing has not succeeded at making Minnesota cool. Everyone wants to complain about the school catering to "babied, spoiled 18 year olds" telling them to stop being so entitled and what the hell do we need a practice facility for??? People complain about how "ugly" the Oregon football jerseys are, but guess what? Fans aren't the people those jerseys are meant to please, they are 100% for recruits to see. You need to make kids think the Gopher brand is cool. It's edgy. It's "hip". Tubby Smith helped that somewhat, but just a coach isn't always enough.

Gopher basketball screams Minnesota nice. Joel Maturi screamed Minnesota nice and friendly and we all love each other and butterflies and bunnies and rainbows. Jerry Kill has started to change the perception of the football team with the help of a simple T shirt saying "No More Minnesota Nice" and by preaching hard work and toughness. Tim Brewster even changed it by yelling about Rose Bowls and the recruits he brought in.

The image of Gopher basketball is soft. It's bring your 4 year old out and have a nice pleasant evening like you could at the theatre. You should be able to bring your kids to a game and you should be able to enjoy it, but it needs to be cool to potential athletes. Lawrence Makenzie has helped with his Gopher songs. Tubby Smith has helped. Landing Royce and Rodney and Trevor and Andre and Joe has helped. The intro videos helped.

We had a former player married to a flipping Kardashian and on a reality show. Maybe the U did this, I doubt it though, but did they consider reaching out to Kim and Kris to come to a game on the show? Young men love Kim Kardashian. Tyus tweets about having a crush on the other girls (The ones around his age). Having Kim Kardashian at a Gophers game?? Or at Tubby's tip off?? That'd be insane. There'd be a mob of people trying to go see one of the biggest brands for today's culture (Kardashian) right here in Minnesota at a Gopher basketball game.

I was playing ball at a lifetime and a couple guys were talking about where Tyus and Vaughn should go. Kentucky? Duke? UNC? No mention of the Gophers at all. The Gophers aren't the cool thing to do. Duke / UNC is one of the most heated rivalries in basketball. That's cool. Minnesota / Wisconsin? Two schools that are in states next to each other, but we still all sing kumbaya together and hold hands and love each other. Some Gopher fans can't wait to sing the praises of Bo Ryan and the Wisconsin program and how great they all are. .

The practice facility is step one. Winning is a HUGE step. Excitement. Energy. Light shows. Exciting starting line up introductions. Get local celebrities to consistently attend games. Twins players. Maybe whenever a music artist is here for whatever reason, try and get them seats at games.

UK has Drake and Ashley Judd at nearly all their games. You think that kids don't find the idea cool to play in front of Drake and Ashley Judd??? Iowa got in trouble for this, but they brought in Ashton Kutcher to talk to a recruit (U shouldn't go so far as NCAA violates, but the idea remains the same)

The U panders to people they want to buy tickets. Middle aged people with the money to spend and they have built the public perception to fit those people. Believe it or not, 18 year old recruits don't usually find things cool that their parents do. IMO make the Gopher brand cool. Make Gopher basketball everything an 18 yer old would love and more. Attract the top recruits. Win, baby, win. And you'll never worry about filling the arena. You'll even have enough students to fill both baselines.

Little bit of an off topic rant I guess, but since hearing those comments at the gym and then your comments about being made fun of for being a Gophers fan made me want to add to it because it is absolutely true. The Gophers are seen as, to quote tOSU, the little sisters of the poor and winning will help that, but the marketing team has to work hard to change the public perception of Gopher basketball and make it cool like it was with Clem Haskins and Bobby Jackson and Quincy Lewis (not the cheating of course though) and btw. Having Tyus sit with Bonny Jackson at the exhibition game was one of the best things Minnesota did. He is a Gopher known nationally and especially here who plays PG and is an NBA coach. Whoever made that happen, incredible job.

I'll get off my soap box now.

BarnBurner said:

I remember the Cincinnati game in Dec of 96 (I think, someone help me here) - That was the BEST game atmosphere I witnesses at the Barn. EVER!!

It was electric, on fire. And a lot of fun. Gophs lost in OT, but I vividly remember the entire thing.

I was bumming student season tickets from a buddy in 96 and was lit before the cincinnati game. I was walking up the stairs to my seat with a giant coke when the section greeter told me there is no mixing in the stadium, because no one in the student section pays $5 for a soda, so I instantly turn around and mix my drink in the bathroom and walk right past him again. Fun game but we lost and I had a hangover.

There were so many great games full of fans on their feet in the 90's. They've been getting progressively worst since I started having season tickets in the early 90's

Trevor Mbakwe knows

@TMbakwe32: @ochocinco come to one of the University of Minnesota basketball games this year.

We kept our same great non-premium seats! When it came time to renew it seemed that the price to upgrade was higher than what was originally proposed and I just couldn't see that it would be a cost effective improvement. We still have preseason games we can't go to that we're having trouble getting rid of - partly because some people who have taken tickets from us in the past have bought cheap packages thru the U...

Good to know where I can visit you...still my favorite seats in the barn, the Cheap Suites! Yeah, I laugh at football ticket holders trying to sell their tickets for face, I have problems giving them away for free. Sad.

This is what drives me nuts. The U is in a very unique situation-the only D1 school in the state(yea, don't start that game on ice crap). It is truly the team of Minnesota and yet next to nothing in marketing outstate(didn't used to be that way). It's not just about students, alumni and MSP. As far as play an ex game outstate..forget it guys.

BTW nice job GL. I liked the use of the graph, maybe dip4broke will be impressed.:)

I cannot take credit for the graph, my rent a husband did that, I was wowed too!

Just like like Gopher football same thing for hoops....it's simple.....win and they will start to show up.

SHUT UP, you don't say!? How insightful.

It's like you didn't even read my article, but good response, you should chill with our former AD, he likes to take no action like you.

Good to know where I can visit you...still my favorite seats in the barn, the Cheap Suites! Yeah, I laugh at football ticket holders trying to sell their tickets for face, I have problems giving them away for free. Sad.

I cannot take credit for the graph, my rent a husband did that, I was wowed too!

SHUT UP, you don't say!? How insightful.

It's like you didn't even read my article, but good response, you should chill with our former AD, he likes to take no action like you.

This is why you are the best!!

I agree, something needs to be done and you should really be the driving force behind it. Not only do you have great ideas, you have great passion. I remember meeting you for the first time last year in press row at The Barn and you inspired me.

You are a great writer, fan, and person. The fact that you are known by first name around the athletic department speaks volumes. Keep up the great work and don't stop coming up with ideas to help out the team.

@stobblog

The problem is, GL is so busy writing Blog Articles for the Strib, Supporting Gopher Athletics, that she has forgotten about me. So much so, that I am wallowing in my broken heart misery and will have to resort to rooting for Twins. Too Bad, So Sad.

But at least she cared enough to send a picture from UNLV when she was with AuEGO4.

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I did read Nadine's article. My thoughts:

- Football team is having a decent year? I disagree.
- Measuring attendance at a football game with a picture at the end of the 4th quarter? I've left the last two games I was at right as time ran out...like most people...because the games were close. You know how long it took me to get from the Radisson ramp to 94 east? 45 minutes. So until the construction is complete, don't chastise people for leaving a blowout a few minutes early.

The irony is so many of our fans leave early to beat the traffic, the traffic starts early lol

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I did read Nadine's article. My thoughts:

- Football team is having a decent year? I disagree.
- Measuring attendance at a football game with a picture at the end of the 4th quarter? I've left the last two games I was at right as time ran out...like most people...because the games were close. You know how long it took me to get from the Radisson ramp to 94 east? 45 minutes. So until the construction is complete, don't chastise people for leaving a blowout a few minutes early.

-After going 3-9 the past two years, and that wonderful 1st year of Brewster at 1-11..I'd say having won 5 games with 3 more games to play is decent for where we were.
- Call me crazy, but I think 5 minutes left to go in the 4th quarter is still a lot of time left. That's why I also showed you a photo at the beginning. I also tweeted photos all game long...it never got good, and for people like you, that's why I also stated that it was the least amount of tickets sold in 4 years. What more do you want???

[/B]

This is why you are the best!!

I agree, something needs to be done and you should really be the driving force behind it. Not only do you have great ideas, you have great passion. I remember meeting you for the first time last year in press row at The Barn and you inspired me.

You are a great writer, fan, and person. The fact that you are known by first name around the athletic department speaks volumes. Keep up the great work and don't stop coming up with ideas to help out the team.

@stobblog

Wow, thank you so much for your kind words. I really appreciate it! It's very humbling to ever hear that I inspired someone. Thank you again :)

Edit - weird - it had quoted every post I replied to in this thread, edited.

Don't listen to the nitpickers, GL. It was a good write up.

That game was in December of 1999, the Lewis and Clark Expedition team. #2 Cincy had K-Mart, Melvin Levett (hit the runner to send the game to OT), and some other real good pieces. Frosh Joel P. shut down Martin all game, but the Gophs blew it down the stretch and couldn't close out the game. Great game, though.

IIRC, Martin broke his arm/leg later in the year ruining Huggy Bear's best chance at a title with Cincy.

Top Bottom