Exhibition Games On the Road

Dr.Don

Reaction score
I know, I know, we should play every exhibition game at Williams Arena, Include the ticket prices as part of Season Tickets, but don't come to the Exhibition games, and the bitching and moaning about all of that, etc....same old, same old.

I have a question for the Experts on this board...If you want the interest in Gopher Basketball to increase, what better way than to advertise your product once or twice a year out in the Hinterland of Outstate Minnesota.

Let's show the people of Moorhead/Fargo the size, strength, speed of the game at the Big Ten level. Fans up here would fill MSU Moorhead's Nemzek Hall just to see a 300 pound nimble giant knock some small time college player on his ass just running into a screen by Big Mo.

The T-Wolves increase their fan base by coming to Fargo, and draw 9 thousand plus, to advertize their product and increase their fan base. If it works for a Multi-Multi-Million Dollar Business like the T-Wolves, why are so many of you protected ticket holders who complain about the Exhibition Games Prices not at the games and filling Williams Arena, and yet bellyache that there is no support outstate?

Hershey's Chocolate does not just advertise in Hershey, PA, ya know.

Some food for thought...have at it.

This must not be a topic people are interested in? It's all about building the U into a state wide obsession. Fans complain about empty stands and lack of atmosphere but are unwilling to try new things to expand the fan base to help the problem. This obviously works cause the twolves do it and it would help Minnesota basketball overall IMO

This must not be a topic people are interested in? It's all about building the U into a state wide obsession. Fans complain about empty stands and lack of atmosphere but are unwilling to try new things to expand the fan base to help the problem. This obviously works cause the twolves do it and it would help Minnesota basketball overall IMO

lakes, sometimes some of what you say makes so much sense that it is sickening. The pups complain about x bition games ticket prices included in season tickets, yet do not go to them, so why not go out an about and advertise the program.

It is easy to see why the Pros are more popular...They go out, advertise and deliver the product for people to see. And guess what??? After seeing the product, people spend big bucks and go to games, buy their gear, party, and did I mention party?

Gopher fans have such a good deal for their bucks they spend.

GO GOPHERS!!!

lakes, sometimes some of what you say makes so much sense that it is sickening. The pups complain about x bition games ticket prices included in season tickets, yet do not go to them, so why not go out an about and advertise the program.

It is easy to see why the Pros are more popular...They go out, advertise and deliver the product for people to see. And guess what??? After seeing the product, people spend big bucks and go to games, buy their gear, party, and did I mention party?

Gopher fans have such a good deal for their bucks they spend.

GO GOPHERS!!!

I do not disagree at al with your point. Could it be though as simple as they would rather not take MORE time away from school and the norm than they already do?

I do not disagree at al with your point. Could it be though as simple as they would rather not take MORE time away from school and the norm than they already do?

How could they miss out on class time by taking a bus to Moorhead for a Saturday Game? that was weak, because the team that came to Williams had to take time away from school. Nice try.

How could they miss out on class time by taking a bus to Moorhead for a Saturday Game? that was weak, because the team that came to Williams had to take time away from school. Nice try.

I did not play D1 ball, so I am not sure how it all works, but I doubt they would bus, then play a game that day. I doublt MSU players miss as much class as BIG players. By the way, have another....

I did not play D1 ball, so I am not sure how it all works, but I doubt they would bus, then play a game that day. I doublt MSU players miss as much class as BIG players. By the way, have another....

You do not know a God Damned thing about me. I read and respected lots of your previous comments on GopherHole, but you have now reached a Friday Drink Too Much Undergrad and are now in the babble stage. Enjoy, my friend. :drink:

I am willing to bet they classes they miss due to basketball isn't that far off from what the gophers players miss. The nsic teams are relatively close but umd playing at Mary isn't a day trip. Msum playing Winona isn't a day trip. These teams are taking a bus and staying in hotels and driving back, Minnesota, for the most part is flying, staying in a hotel and coming right back. The gophers aren't flying to Columbus 3 days prior to a game or anywhere else for that matter

You do not know a God Damned thing about me. I read and respected lots of your previous comments on GopherHole, but you have now reached a Friday Drink Too Much Undergrad and are now in the babble stage. Enjoy, my friend. :drink:

I'm sorry, but I do not know how to take that. Is this a good or bad thing? :)

I know, I know, we should play every exhibition game at Williams Arena, Include the ticket prices as part of Season Tickets, but don't come to the Exhibition games, and the bitching and moaning about all of that, etc....same old, same old.

I have a question for the Experts on this board...If you want the interest in Gopher Basketball to increase, what better way than to advertise your product once or twice a year out in the Hinterland of Outstate Minnesota.

Let's show the people of Moorhead/Fargo the size, strength, speed of the game at the Big Ten level. Fans up here would fill MSU Moorhead's Nemzek Hall just to see a 300 pound nimble giant knock some small time college player on his ass just running into a screen by Big Mo.

The T-Wolves increase their fan base by coming to Fargo, and draw 9 thousand plus, to advertize their product and increase their fan base. If it works for a Multi-Multi-Million Dollar Business like the T-Wolves, why are so many of you protected ticket holders who complain about the Exhibition Games Prices not at the games and filling Williams Arena, and yet bellyache that there is no support outstate?

Hershey's Chocolate does not just advertise in Hershey, PA, ya know.

Some food for thought...have at it.

Just for the record, that wasn't always the case.

"Although legend says Milton Hershey did not use advertising, Katherine B. Shippen and Paul A. W. Wallace mention in their Hershey biography that he did use billboards to promote his chocolate. The Outdoor Advertising Association would certainly consider that advertising.

But Milton Hershey apparently did not use newspapers, magazines or radio, the other major ad media advertising of his day.

That policy was maintained even after his death in 1945. In 1970 the company changed its policy by purchasing ads in 114 newspapers to promote its chocolate.

http://suite101.com/article/hershey-chocolate-advertising-public-relations-and--promotions-a268240

well there are four teams in the dakotas that play d1 ball, fargo and grandforks are right on the border, Brookings is pretty close as well, vermillion is 45 minutes away, but sioux falls has an arena, the gophers could play all four dakota schools every year, play one on the road and rotate each year. I think the fargo dome would be just as tough an environment as some of the gyms tubby has visited the past few years, UND they could play in the ralph, brookings has a decent size arena, solves the ooc road schedule and could create more exposure as people from Detroit Lakes and Moorhead, Alexandria etc are more likely to go to fargo than minneapolis if they want to see the gophers

well there are four teams in the dakotas that play d1 ball, fargo and grandforks are right on the border, Brookings is pretty close as well, vermillion is 45 minutes away, but sioux falls has an arena, the gophers could play all four dakota schools every year, play one on the road and rotate each year. I think the fargo dome would be just as tough an environment as some of the gyms tubby has visited the past few years, UND they could play in the ralph, brookings has a decent size arena, solves the ooc road schedule and could create more exposure as people from Detroit Lakes and Moorhead, Alexandria etc are more likely to go to fargo than minneapolis if they want to see the gophers

That's an idea but those wouldn't be exhibition games and those fan bases would travel to the cities to assist ticket sales. I would only be willing to do this traveling thing for exhibition games that virtually have no ticket sales other than season tickets. D2 schools don't travel well but on their home-courts people would flock to those venues. It's an idea that would be a very minimal financial risk that potentially could become very popular or it could be a bust, I just think its worth a shot. The last thing I want to do is support ndsu, und, sdsu, or usd's with a massive sell out.

NO

Lol I would agree if the gophers played in Fargo people in Alex would show up to that event over the cities. I dont think alex would bring bus loads but a few for sure. I just would not be for a game in Fargo because it would help ndsu more than it would help Minnesota.

Lol I would agree if the gophers played in Fargo people in Alex would show up to that event over the cities. I dont think alex would bring bus loads but a few for sure. I just would not be for a game in Fargo because it would help ndsu more than it would help Minnesota.

I never said to play NDSU, SDSU, UND, or any D-1 school.... I was talking about exhibition games like MSU Moorhead, to advertise to "outstate" MN, or shall I call "Greater Minnesota" to introduce Big Mo and his smaller compadres to people out here in the Hinterland who love the Gophers but can't get to Williams Arena for an exhibition.

Pay the Gophers Amtrak Fare and bring them by train... The team would get off Amtrak at Fargo, about 2 miles from Nemzek Hall in Moorhead, and have the local Transit Buses bring them from the Amtrak Station to Nemzek. I would even be at the Amtrak Depot to greet them to Moorhead and make them feel welcome.

I miss the days of traveling to away games by Train.

I never said to play NDSU, SDSU, UND, or any D-1 school.... I was talking about exhibition games like MSU Moorhead, to advertise to "outstate" MN, or shall I call "Greater Minnesota" to introduce Big Mo and his smaller compadres to people out here in the Hinterland who love the Gophers but can't get to Williams Arena for an exhibition.

Pay the Gophers Amtrak Fare and bring them by train... The team would get off Amtrak at Fargo, about 2 miles from Nemzek Hall in Moorhead, and have the local Transit Buses bring them from the Amtrak Station to Nemzek. I would even be at the Amtrak Depot to greet them to Moorhead and make them feel welcome.

I miss the days of traveling to away games by Train.

This does sound like a decent idea but i am curious, how many people on this board were born during the Coolidge administration? Miss the train days, what, huh?

That's an idea but those wouldn't be exhibition games and those fan bases would travel to the cities to assist ticket sales. I would only be willing to do this traveling thing for exhibition games that virtually have no ticket sales other than season tickets. D2 schools don't travel well but on their home-courts people would flock to those venues. It's an idea that would be a very minimal financial risk that potentially could become very popular or it could be a bust, I just think its worth a shot. The last thing I want to do is support ndsu, und, sdsu, or usd's with a massive sell out.

I said basically the same thing dr don, just without the trains lol

Fargo is only 10-15 miles closer to alex than mpls. Mpls is more fun to visit than fargo.

Fargo Moorhead went downhill when I left.:)

Now if the Blackhawk Lounge was still open in Moorhead.

Fargo is only 10-15 miles closer to alex than mpls. Mpls is more fun to visit than fargo.

Fargo Moorhead went downhill when I left.:)

Now if the Blackhawk Lounge was still open in Moorhead.

I grew up near Alex and everyone I knew went to Fargo more often then Minneapolis. I can only speak from what I witnessed and I witnessed people going to Fargo a lot more often

I grew up near Alex and everyone I knew went to Fargo more often then Minneapolis. I can only speak from what I witnessed and I witnessed people going to Fargo a lot more often

And what do you consider near alex?

Fergus falls, Brandon Evansville, Carlos, henning, battle lake, Kensington just to name a few

Wow, you grew up in a lot of places.

Carlos or Kensington would go to Mpls.....the rest would go to Fargo....do the numbers.

Wow, you grew up in a lot of places.

Carlos or Kensington would go to Mpls.....the rest would go to Fargo....do the numbers.

You didn't ask me where I grew up you asked what I thought was near Alex. Friends of mine from Carlos are dirty liars I will text them and let them know station 19 said to do the numbers

You didn't ask me where I grew up you asked what I thought was near Alex. Friends of mine from Carlos are dirty liars I will text them and let them know station 19 said to do the numbers

People from Carlos go both ways.:)

Top Bottom