Nigel Hayes eliminates the Gophers UPDATED 11/11: Commits to Rival UW

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this tweet @TheBadgerNation:

'Nigel Hayes says 'no thanks' to the #Gophers and has a top three of #Badgers #Buckeyes and #Stanford"

Go Gophers!!

Being a former Harmony Cardinal, I will agree with SS..."Go Stanford Cardinal"!

Alexandria_Cardinals_Logo_medium.jpg

Being a former Preston-Fountain Blue Jay, I do not agree with Dr. Don. However, I will agree with SS.

bluejay.jpg

I'm not sure why he cut his list instead of announcing his choice since he plans on signing in a couple weeks. What is he waiting on? I don't know. Some speculate it is to see who else is going to be in OSU's class, but the truth is the great ones don't care who else is competing for playing time.

Look for Tory Miller to sign with the Gophers fairly soon.

Good we didn't want him anyway LOL...Somebody had to say it.

Look for Tory Miller to sign with the Gophers fairly soon.

Seems strange that Hayes would eliminate one team. Makes me think Tubby pushed him for a decision as he had another player he thought might commit?

without seing either play i do believe schilling is bigger than Hayes, is Schilling still in the gophers plans?

Would have been a nice player, but I'm not losing much sleep over this.

We cooled on him.

In this situation, yeah, that actually does seem likely, notwithstanding the fact that he looks like a good player and I was hoping we'd get him. Why would a guy publicly cut his list from 4 schools to 3, when it's been those 4 for months and he's just about to announce a final decision any day now? (he's said since Sept that he's going to make a decision before bb season starts).

Possible answer: Gophers now need a true PF for the last scholarship in this class after signing 2 wings already and having their freshman wing break his hand and likely redshirt this year. (Yes, I'm assuming we use only 3 scholarships this year, not 4). Maybe we're getting positive indications from Miller or Schilling.

My guess is the ball is in Schilling's court. Whether there is a time limit for him to decide who knows. Neither is a blue chipper at this point. Could Miller develop into a Courtney James(sans sociopathic traits) ? He has that type of build. I would opt for only offering 3 scholarships this year unless there is an unclaimed star. They may also have an under-the radar player like Buggs who I don't think many people knew about. Tyus was at the Mankato game; I hope that means something.

In this situation, yeah, that actually does seem likely, notwithstanding the fact that he looks like a good player and I was hoping we'd get him. Why would a guy publicly cut his list from 4 schools to 3, when it's been those 4 for months and he's just about to announce a final decision any day now? (he's said since Sept that he's going to make a decision before bb season starts).

Possible answer: Gophers now need a true PF for the last scholarship in this class after signing 2 wings already and having their freshman wing break his hand and likely redshirt this year. (Yes, I'm assuming we use only 3 scholarships this year, not 4). Maybe we're getting positive indications from Miller or Schilling.

Perhaps with Miller, but there was a Rivals article recently where Schilling listed his top 5 schools and Minnesota was not among them.

Regarding Hayes, I don't think the Gophers were ever a favorite, so it's not a huge surprise that they were the first team to get cut. Stanford's academics give them an advantage over most schools in the country, but I still think Nigel will end up closer to home at OSU or UW. If the Buckeyes get a commitment from 2013 PF Devin Williams in the next week or so, I would expect him to choose the Badgers.

Perhaps with Miller, but there was a Rivals article recently where Schilling listed his top 5 schools and Minnesota was not among them.

Regarding Hayes, I don't think the Gophers were ever a favorite, so it's not a huge surprise that they were the first team to get cut. Stanford's academics give them an advantage over most schools in the country, but I still think Nigel will end up closer to home at OSU or UW. If the Buckeyes get a commitment from 2013 PF Devin Williams in the next week or so, I would expect him to choose the Badgers.

Shilling told Marcus Fuller yesterday that the gophers are still in the mix and he did not have a final 5 at this point.

Shilling told Marcus Fuller yesterday that the gophers are still in the mix and he did not have a final 5 at this point.

Thanks for the update, I missed that one. Schilling still planning on a spring decision?

Regarding Hayes, I don't think the Gophers were ever a favorite, so it's not a huge surprise that they were the first team to get cut.

OSU was the only "favorite," if there was one, but he's never been their first choice. My point was that, until Foster signed and Ellenson got hurt (leading to likely redshirt), many would have put highest odds on him ending up at Minnesota. And he always said he was going to choose among the final 4 before his season, not narrow it further.

I'm not bringing this up as a "we don't need him anyway" kind of excuse, I'm bringing it up because it now seems apparent that we are somewhat stocked on wings in the coming few years but cupboard will soon be empty at the PF spot. Either or both Hayes (who's not a true PF) and the Gophers must have realized that.

I'm not really sold on Schilling over Miller, although most seem to rate him higher. I guess we'll see.

My point was that, until Foster signed and Ellenson got hurt (leading to likely redshirt), many would have put highest odds on him ending up at Minnesota. And he always said he was going to choose among the final 4 before his season, not narrow it further.

I am not here to argue with you, but I have followed Hayes' recruitment as closely as possible over the last several months, and I never read anything that supported the first sentence above.

Regarding the second sentence above, the moderator of one of the Badger sites posted (after talking to Hayes) that Nigel had plans to cut his list from 4 to 3, then from 3 to 2, before announcing a final decision. It appears he was correct about the first step, I guess we'll see if there's another step before a final decision comes.

Devin Williams recently committed to West Virginia. Speculation was that Hayes was waiting to see if Williams would go to tOSU. If so, this may help tOSU sign Hayes.

Devin Williams recently committed to West Virginia. Speculation was that Hayes was waiting to see if Williams would go to tOSU. If so, this may help tOSU sign Hayes.

Williams to West Virginia presumably makes Hayes more of a priority for Matta and his staff.

It is now being reported (first by ESPN's Reggie Rankin) that Nigel has narrowed his list to two schools: Ohio St. and Wisconsin.

It could be that Hayes was a higher priority than Williams for OSU even before DW committed to WVU. Williams is a 6'8" PF that likely would've had to play the 5 at OSU, yet he doesn't have the ideal size for that position. Williams is more of a typical PF while Hayes looks more like a Deshaun Thomas type forward body-wise. In short, you could say both are PFs but Hayes is more the type that fits in Matta's 4-out, 1-in system.

It could be that Hayes was a higher priority than Williams for OSU even before DW committed to WVU. Williams is a 6'8" PF that likely would've had to play the 5 at OSU, yet he doesn't have the ideal size for that position. Williams is more of a typical PF while Hayes looks more like a Deshaun Thomas type forward body-wise. In short, you could say both are PFs but Hayes is more the type that fits in Matta's 4-out, 1-in system.

What is your feeling on Hayes' recruitment? Does he stay home or does Mom get her way and Nigel heads to Madison?

Well, I think he will pick OSU, but I thought Williams would as well :)

But I honestly think Hayes is a better fit for OSU than Devin Williams. And with some of his comments about wanting to win multiple championships, and OSU being a dream school, I just don't see him picking UW over OSU. We'll find out soon enough.

Well, I think he will pick OSU, but I thought Williams would as well :)

But I honestly think Hayes is a better fit for OSU than Devin Williams. And with some of his comments about wanting to win multiple championships, and OSU being a dream school, I just don't see him picking UW over OSU. We'll find out soon enough.

I also thought Williams was going to be a Buckeye. And I expected Hayes to commit to the Buckeyes back in early October after he took his official visit to Columbus. That gives me a sliver of hope that he will choose UW, which would be a huge win for the UW staff.

per Reggie Rankin: "Just Spoke with PF Nigel Hayes he is headed to Wisconsin. Skilled, Versatile with a excellent basketball IQ."

Go Gophers!!

per Reggie Rankin: "Just Spoke with PF Nigel Hayes he is headed to Wisconsin. Skilled, Versatile with a excellent basketball IQ."

Go Gophers!!

Very, very pleased with UW's 2013 class. Bronson Koenig is a stud in the backcourt, and I think Hayes and Vitto Brown will be a nice frontcourt combination.

Interesting choice. I think his brother washing out at OSU did have an influence. I don't think he's going to get the multiple championships he wished for at Wisconsin, though :cool:

Very, very pleased with UW's 2013 class. Bronson Koenig is a stud in the backcourt, and I think Hayes and Vitto Brown will be a nice frontcourt combination.

DOOOOOOOOOOOONT CAAAAAAAAAAARE

Top Bottom