So what are the realistic odds we can land our local phenom, Tyus Jone?

About the same chance of him coming here as there was of Cody Zeller going to IU, so I'm saying it's possible.

Crappy year - 4-5%
6th to 8th in Big Ten - 8-10%
Upper end of top 25 - 15%
Top 3 or 4 in Big Ten/Sweet Sixteen - 30%-35%
Top 10 team (highly unlikely) - 50-80%

Root against Duke and Michigan State the most. It would also help if North Carolina, Kentucky and Kansas had down years.

I don't have any insider info, but I'm just guessing that these are his top schools, in no order:
Group 1:
Duke
Michigan State

Group 2:
North Carolina
Kentucky
Kansas
possible Baylor

Variable:
Minnesota

The order within the groups is pretty interchangable. Minnesota's the variable. If we do really bad this year, we'll have virtually no chance at landing him. If we finish in the top 3 of the Big Ten and make a Sweet Sixteen run, I think we have just as good - if not better - chances than anyone else on this list.

50-50, Either he will or he won't.

That is where it is at right now. Anything else is pure speculation with no basis.

50-50, Either he will or he won't.

That is where it is at right now. Anything else is pure speculation with no basis.

I'm thinking like 10% with schools like Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina and Duke in the mix. It's all about his draft status and Remember Rondo was picked in the 20's coming out of Kentucky, then traded to the Celtics in the draft and you could make an arguement that he's 1 of the best 3 point guards in the NBA

Where you go to college has no bearing on whether or not you get to the NBA. If you are good enough, the scouts will find you.

I'm thinking like 10% with schools like Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina and Duke in the mix. It's all about his draft status and Remember Rondo was picked in the 20's coming out of Kentucky, then traded to the Celtics in the draft and you could make an arguement that he's 1 of the best 3 point guards in the NBA

That would indicate that he did not pick the right school.

Where you go to college has no bearing on whether or not you get to the NBA. If you are good enough, the scouts will find you.

Bingo. So he might as well come to the U of MN and be a local hero on his way to the NBA and then be drafted by the Wolves. :)

Bingo. So he might as well come to the U of MN and be a local hero on his way to the NBA and then be drafted by the Wolves. :)

I promise not to pull a Cleveland and go into indefinite depression if he is ringless after 8 years and leaves.

So what do you say, Mr. Jones?

How do you figure?

Offer from North Carolina, high profile recruit from po-dunk Indiana. Chooses to stay home and makes mediocre IU team into sweet 16 team. Now pre season #1.

Offer from North Carolina, high profile recruit from po-dunk Indiana. Chooses to stay home and makes mediocre IU team into sweet 16 team. Now pre season #1.

Po-dunk Indiana? Are you serious? Do you know anything at all about the history of Indiana HS basketball and/or the history of Indiana University basketball?

Po-dunk Indiana? Are you serious? Do you know anything at all about the history of Indiana HS basketball and/or the history of Indiana University basketball?

I read it to refer to the size of the Zeller's hometown. To a sophisticated city dweller a town of 11,509 such as Washington Indiana would be a podunk town. To a guy like me that grew up in a town of 627, Washington Indiana would be a big city. And it is the county seat after all.

oh, and it was good to see Tyus at the game last night. Where was Rashad and Reid?

. Dp-is in full argument mode cause he knew what u meant but wants to have the "I'm the smartest in the room" feeling! So he will attack now...do your thing dp

. Dp-is in full argument mode cause he knew what u meant but wants to have the "I'm the smartest in the room" feeling! So he will attack now...do your thing dp

Knew what he meant? What did he mean, exactly? That Minnesota has just as good of a chance with an in-state highly-rated national recruit as Indiana does? That assertion is laughably false. I'm not arguing with anyone, I'm flat-out telling him that he's wrong, and ridiculously so.

Try to get your nose off my taint and contribute something to the discussion.

I read it to refer to the size of the Zeller's hometown. To a sophisticated city dweller a town of 11,509 such as Washington Indiana would be a podunk town. To a guy like me that grew up in a town of 627, Washington Indiana would be a big city. And it is the county seat after all.

Not to mention that it's so "po-dunk" that it's had 4 Mr. Basketball winners, two of whom went to Indiana.

Are you trying to tell me a town of 11,000 is not small? I don't know where you grew up but I live in a metro area of 3 million people. Washington, Indiana is po dunk. I am shocked that you would pick that statement of all statements to pick an argument about.

I don't care how many Mr. Basketballs there have been. I don't care about the history of IU. He chose to go to a mediocre IU team, and the recruits followed him. They are now pre season #1 largely because he chose to put Indiana back on the map.

In many ways, Tyus is making less of a sacrifice coming to Minnesota as we will likely already be a top 25 team when he has to make a decision. Cody Zeller went to a crappy team and made them great. There is no debating that. They were last in the Big Ten when Cody Zeller committed. Minnesota will likely be top half of the B1G when Tyus committs somewhere.

Are you trying to tell me a town of 11,000 is not small? I don't know where you grew up but I live in a metro area of 3 million people.

I grew up in a town of about 115 people. I had 12 kids in my HS graduating class. A neighboring HS had 3 kids in its graduating class.

Aside from all that (which isn't even the point I was addressing), it's flat-out silly to assert what you're attempting to assert. Indiana was momentarily down because it had lost practically all of its scholarship players following the Kelvin Sampson fiasco. It was great for a long time, and not much was needed to make it great again. Minnesota has never been great. Zeller was banking on a return to greatness. Jones would be banking on a first-time ascent to greatness. Indiana HS basketball (which is of far, far greater quality than MN HS basketball) is filled with tons and tons of very good players who dream of one day playing for IU. If anything, the long shot was that Tyler Zeller chose UNC over Indiana. When Indiana wants a local highly-rated recruit, they almost always get him. Minnesota gets guys who end up here for various reasons (Rickert, Humphries) that have nothing to do with actually wanting to play basketball here. What you're attempting to argue is the equivalent of saying that it was a long shot that Nick Saban went to Alabama because they had a few mediocre seasons prior to him being hired there.

Seems like our "All Things Tyus Jones Thread" isn't really all things Tyus Jones. Although I guess this thread did get around that classification by misspelling Tyus' last name.

0 percent hes going to go where okafor goes and okafor wont give us a chance

0 percent hes going to go where okafor goes and okafor wont give us a chance

IF he's going where Okafor goes, then we have no chance. However, I don't think there's a 100% chance that Tyus and Jahlil go to the same school. Many times before, top recruits have said that they will attend the same school, and not necessarily followed through with their claim. What scares me about these two, though, is that they said as sophomores that they wanted to play together. That's pretty early; they obviously have quite the bromance.

I grew up in a town of about 115 people. I had 12 kids in my HS graduating class. A neighboring HS had 3 kids in its graduating class.

Never would have guessed :rolleyes:

Is Minnesota having a good season helpful to recruiting? Sure. However, I think people really overvalue it, especially postseason performance.. there isn't some simple checklist where a S16 appearance catapults a team on every kid's list. Granted, it may be very important for a few kids, but I think most are more forward thinking and thoughtful than that.

No chance. He's keeping us on his list because it will keep the locals interested imo. If I had to guess, he'll commit to one of the big boys and then give a bunch of canned responses during the ensuing interview.

No chance. He's keeping us on his list because it will keep the locals interested imo. If I had to guess, he'll commit to one of the big boys and then give a bunch of canned responses during the ensuing interview.

This has as much credibility as someone who says he's coming to Minnesota for sure... ZERO.

This has as much credibility as someone who says he's coming to Minnesota for sure... ZERO.

Spot on. Fact is, Tyus himself doesn't know 100% where he's going yet. I love the guessing game as much as the next guy, but my suggestion is to treat this as follows... Hope for the best (Gophers) expect the worst (the rest).

Isn't supposed to credible, hence the whole "imo" and "if I had to guess" portions of the post.

Isn't supposed to credible, hence the whole "imo" and "if I had to guess" portions of the post.

That doesn't make what you're saying any less ridiculous.

Top Bottom