Russo: Lucia on Gophers injuries, goalie situation

Lucia obviously knows a lot more about it than I do, but I don't think there was that much of a discrepancy between Shibrowski and Wilcox last weekend. I think people need to note that the team was sloppy and sluggish in front of Shibrowski on Friday, and played much better in front of Wilcox on Saturday. Not to get down on Wilcox, but other than a couple of nice saves, he really didn't have a whole lot of work in the second and third periods. He only had 18 shots in the game.

Lucia obviously knows a lot more about it than I do, but I don't think there was that much of a discrepancy between Shibrowski and Wilcox last weekend. I think people need to note that the team was sloppy and sluggish in front of Shibrowski on Friday, and played much better in front of Wilcox on Saturday. Not to get down on Wilcox, but other than a couple of nice saves, he really didn't have a whole lot of work in the second and third periods. He only had 18 shots in the game.

Do you think they'll continue to rotate goalies for the next few series before settling in on one and riding him for a while?

Go Gophers!!

According to Lucia a couple of weeks ago, they will probably rotate the two until there is a clear frontrunner. If they are both playing well, he indicated that they could rotate the entire season. I think we have two solid goalkeepers in Shibrowski & Wilcox, which is a nice problem to have. Coming into the season, I really thought Shibrowski would be the undisputed starter. But Wilcox has a lot of talent.

Wilcox will emerge as the guy in my opinion.

Agree. It may take a little time, but I think Wilcox will eventually become "the man." Not that I don't like Shibrowski; I think he's more than capable. I just think over the long term, Wilcox brings a little more to the table.

Agree. It may take a little time, but I think Wilcox will eventually become "the man." Not that I don't like Shibrowski; I think he's more than capable. I just think over the long term, Wilcox brings a little more to the table.

Ya, and if Wilcox ever struggles/needs breather Shibby can still be the veteran off the bench and provide solid tending.

You might be right. Everybody has been so high on Wilcox since the word go. Obviously, whatever is best for the team. I guess I'm just one of those guys that feels like Shibrowski should get more of a shot, being the upperclassmen that sat on the bench all year last year, and worked his ass off in practice. He's a super nice kid too, really humble and polite.

Top Bottom