Gopher coaches impressed with Thomas/Krueser

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
Tubby, Saul, and Jirsa we're all on hand at the St. Thomas Academy Jamboree saturday night and I wasn't there but heard that Jacob Thomas put on a show and Tubby was very impressed which means he many get his offer pretty soon. Also Sibley 7-Footer Jake Krueser had another strong game and continues to improve and will definately be one to keep a close eye on. Mn still has some concerns, but with a strong year he will get an offer as well.

UWOle was there so maybe he can give a more detailed description.

I think he plays for Columbia Heights. He has always been good but apparently needed to add some muscle. He has done that and I wouldn't be surprised if he is the top player in the state for 2010.

Jacob Thomas is a 6'2" or 3" SG from Columbia Heights. He was impressive indeed at the STA event last night. Columbia Heights played against Patrick Henry, which had very little size and did not look good at all. Heights, Thomas in particular, really took advantage. I think the score was 56-29. I figured that Thomas had close to 30 of those points, but the recap on the Howard Pulley site only had him for 20. Thomas has a pretty good body and solid athleticism. He is primarily a shooter at this point, but his stroke is outstanding. He will probably have to diversify his game a bit over the next couple years, but he looks like a very nice prospect.

Krueser is definitely better than he was last year, but I think it's fair to say he has a ways to go yet (that can probably be said about most bigs who are juniors in HS). He still has to gain strength and put on weight, but he really looked like he knew what needed to do last night. He blocked some shots, played aggressively inside and he moves pretty well. That said, he looks like he's already ready to play for Izzo and Moving Screen U! He was called twice, maybe three times, last night for illegal screens. It will be interesting to watch him develop over the next couple years.

For those who care, Sibley's Mike Bruesewitz also looked very good last night. I had him for 16 points and 14 rebounds in Sibley's win over Washburn. He and Thomas were the two most impressive players I saw yesterday, and, yes, I did see Royce and Hopkins. White is the most talented played in the state, but Hopkins does not appear to have much chemistry yet. It looked a bit like an open gym with guys taking turns going one-on-one. Their matchup with Sibley should be fun, I am anxious to see if Bruesewitz can slow down White at all.

Speaking of 2010 big men UWOle, does Evan Anderson of EC fall into that "big who has a ways to go yet" category? I'm just curious because I know he is committed to you guys and is very highly rated, but I'm from Eau Claire and know some people who said he is still pretty raw. This was about a year ago though so that may have changed. Is his game similar to Kreuser's or are they totally different?

Speaking of 2010 big men UWOle, does Evan Anderson of EC fall into that "big who has a ways to go yet" category? I'm just curious because I know he is committed to you guys and is very highly rated, but I'm from Eau Claire and know some people who said he is still pretty raw. This was about a year ago though so that may have changed. Is his game similar to Kreuser's or are they totally different?

I would say that Anderson falls into the same category as Krueser, in that both have a ways to go before they are ready to contribute in the Big 10. At this point, I am expecting Evan to redshirt his first season in Madison, due to his continuing development and UW's roster, which will have Ian Markolf (7' and 260) as a junior and Jared Berggren (6'10" and 240) likely as a redshirt sophomore for the 2010-11 season. While Anderson and Krueser are about the same height, Evan has a bigger frame and already has 30-40 more pounds on him. I think it's fair to say that both are more defenders and rebounders at this point than they are offensive threats.

Anderson out

UWOle, don't know if you saw this but Evan Anderson is out 4-6 weeks with a bad ankle sprain suffered in a loss Friday night. Read about it here.

UWOle, don't know if you saw this but Evan Anderson is out 4-6 weeks with a bad ankle sprain suffered in a loss Friday night. Read about it here.

Thanks, Czar. I did see that, obviously very disappointing for Evan and the North team. Sounds like he will be back in mid- to late-February, so hopefully he can come back strong and help the team fulfill a season with a lot of promise. It would be nice to see them get back to State, if for no other reason than to see Evan play on the big stage. Initial reports were that the ankle was dislocated, so a bad sprain is probably not that bad.

I've seen Thomas, Krueser, and Anderson. I agree that Krueser and Anderson need work. The difference to me is the fact that Krueser can put on weight but can Anderson be athletic? I know Anderson is more highly regarded but I think Krueser has more upside. Thomas is a good player. When I've seen him he's been streaky. But I think he has a chance to be the one or two top players in the 2010 class if he continues to improve. If Thomas and/or Krueser don't sign with the Gophers they'll be no MN kids in their 2010 class.

Top Bottom