Minnesota kids

gopherdiehard

Reaction score
i know its easier said than done but think of all the minnesota kids we have missed out on.. if we just get the best players in the state every year and keep family connections going
(Ellenson brothers) we have a consistent power house even if the state is down once in a while we sneak a kid from somewhere else.. i wonder if kids think about this at all but it has to start somewhere 2014 would be a good year to begin something like this!! we will get that practice facility in a few years and that should help.. i like the teague hire hes a basketball type of guy

the staff thinks the grass is greener elsewhere.

I disagree. We have tried to get the best players in the state, but when your program has been in shambles in the past, nobody wants to come here.

I disagree. We have tried to get the best players in the state, but when your program has been in shambles in the past, nobody wants to come here.

Who from Minnesota with an offer hasn't come here besides Kyle Washington? And he really wasn't from Minnesota.

The fact is there is some nice talent in MN, but there are often gaps of 1-2 years without much talent. The next few years look great though.

It's not as easy as "just get the best kids in the state every year". What if there is a period where all the best players are guards? Or big men? You have to balance the classes. If one year, we're in need of two big men but there aren't any great PF/C recruits in the state, you're going to have to look elsewhere.

Who from Minnesota with an offer hasn't come here besides Kyle Washington? And he really wasn't from Minnesota.

The fact is there is some nice talent in MN, but there are often gaps of 1-2 years without much talent. The next few years look great though.

I was referencing before the Tubby years. In recent years, the best players have come: Rodney, Royce, Joe, etc. I can't really thing of any guys that I would want, and certainly none that I wonder how in the world we missed on this guy.

I don't really understand the grass is greener on the other side reference. Are you talking about that kid from SDSU? If so, put him in the Big Ten and how good would he be?

I was referencing before the Tubby years. In recent years, the best players have come: Rodney, Royce, Joe, etc. I can't really thing of any guys that I would want, and certainly none that I wonder how in the world we missed on this guy.

I don't really understand the grass is greener on the other side reference. Are you talking about that kid from SDSU? If so, put him in the Big Ten and how good would he be?

I didn't make the grass is greener comment but Muscala, Wolters, and Lockett could all have helped this team. In hindsight I don't feel bad about not extending offers to these guys though given their individual situations. 2009 was a ridiculous MN class.

Wolters futureNBA draft choice no offer,alec brown UWGB projected 1st round 2014 no offer, trent lockett, mike muscala bucknell,berggren from wisc. All in state kids passed over for outstate kids

Wolters futureNBA draft choice no offer,alec brown UWGB projected 1st round 2014 no offer, trent lockett, mike muscala bucknell,berggren from wisc. All in state kids passed over for outstate kids

Berggren had an offer and committed before Tubby. Wolters, Lockett, and Muscala were all in the same class as Williams, White, and Mbakwe. You can't take 8 guys in one class.

Berggren had an offer and committed before Tubby. Wolters, Lockett, and Muscala were all in the same class as Williams, White, and Mbakwe. You can't take 8 guys in one class.

So did Jordan Taylor.

Brown is the one they really missed on, needed big men, had scholership's available, and really could afford to a miss if he didn't develop, hopefully Walker and Eliason will ease the pain of that one.

Sooooo....who would you rather have had?

At that time? Walker and Eliason.

It's pretty easy to look back after the fact and say "we should have offered this or that guy." Brown, Muscala, and Wolters didn't have a single BCS school offer. Some guys do better than others at the next level. It's not an exact science. And it's not like most of these were big time recruits.

At that time? Walker and Eliason.

It's pretty easy to look back after the fact and say "we should have offered this or that guy." Brown, Muscala, and Wolters didn't have a single BCS school offer. Some guys do better than others at the next level. It's not an exact science. And it's not like most of these were big time recruits.

+1000

Why is Brown playing at UW - Green Bay? Why is Nate Wolters at SDSU?

It's easy to be a lazy boy recruiter isn't it? 4 years later, we can talk about all the future NBA draft picks that we missed out on.

You'll never convince me that Nate Wolters would have been a stud in the B1G. Maybe I'm stubborn, but I don't see it. Dominating the Summit League might be the biggest reason that he is projected to get drafted in the 2nd round. And he'll spend his career in the D-league or overseas.

Meanwhile, in those that class, we also got Mbakwe and Williams who may very well end up being lottery picks. So I don't know where all this scrutiny towards our recruiting is coming from

+1000Dominating the Summit League might be the biggest reason that he is projected to get drafted in the 2nd round.

Maybe it's that game out west. But the fact is, Wolters has been the best player on the court almost everyday of his career including that night at the Barn.

+1000Dominating the Summit League might be the biggest reason that he is projected to get drafted in the 2nd round.

Maybe it's that game out west. But the fact is, Wolters has been the best player on the court almost everyday of his career including that night at the Barn.

This. Anybody who says that nate Wolters would not be a stud for the gophers is either ignorant, stupid, naïve, or all of them wrapped into one....enjoy!

Well sdsu plays the gophers, we will see how he stacks up against the guards....

This. Anybody who says that nate Wolters would not be a stud for the gophers is either ignorant, stupid, naïve, or all of them wrapped into one....enjoy!

How did he look in the Summit League finals last year? The biggest game of his career. O ya, 5 for 22.

Chalk me up as someone who would want him as a bench player. Nothing more.

+1000

Why is Brown playing at UW - Green Bay? Why is Nate Wolters at SDSU?

It's easy to be a lazy boy recruiter isn't it? 4 years later, we can talk about all the future NBA draft picks that we missed out on.

You'll never convince me that Nate Wolters would have been a stud in the B1G. Maybe I'm stubborn, but I don't see it. Dominating the Summit League might be the biggest reason that he is projected to get drafted in the 2nd round. And he'll spend his career in the D-league or overseas.

Meanwhile, in those that class, we also got Mbakwe and Williams who may very well end up being lottery picks. So I don't know where all this scrutiny towards our recruiting is coming from

You can't just say Walker and Eliason. Don't forget Mav, Chip, and Oto for 2010. Jett, Noreen, and Brown come to mind as local kids that deserved offers and would've liked to see as Gophers. Obviously out of all those players Jett and Brown have had the best careers. Jett had a Baylor offer put chose to stay closer to home. I saw Brown multilple times. You could see the skill level. He just needed to get stronger. But let's just say Brown didn't have any high-major offers. The Gophers showed zero interest. I don't remember Chip of Mav having high-major offers so that's no excuse. I would also say that Noreen, Walker, and Eliason are a push. Noreen and Walker have had injuries and no matter how excited we've been about Eliason if Walker or Sampson III were putting up those numbers we'd be all over them. Noreen will be a team captain this year and a starter for West Virginia. He can do everything Eliason can do but he's also potentially a better scorer. Noreen also had high-major offers. Don't get me wrong I do like Eliason and Walker on this team but if we're talking about local players, with or without high-major offers those are the 3 that come to mind. Also didn't we have interest in Reggie Lynch? Brown's potential is/was much higher then Lynch's will ever be. But I do agree with the 2009 talk. Mbakwe, Williams, White, and Cobbs was a great recruiting class like it or not.

well great points all the way around.. but the next two years at least has good balance with position flexibility and the in state angle.. 2014 has a pure point guard in tyus a 2 slash 3 in rashad, and d 3 slash 4 in reid travis... 2015 has a point guard in jarvis johnson a mobile 4 in illikainen and a big body with good touch inside and outside which il consider a unique 4 slash 5 in ellenson (i know hes not from minnesota but hes as important for us)..

There is no way of knowing if Wolters would have developed at the "U" under Tubby the way he did at SDSU. He would have had more competition for the ball, shots, playing time, etc. Coaching and the "system" go a long way in how a player develops.

Then where was his offer from whiskey? Or where was his offer from ANY BCS team? I'm sick of hearing about him like he was panting to get to "The U" and he was widely recruited. A lot of teams missed out on a nice player. Happens all the time.

well great points all the way around.. but the next two years at least has good balance with position flexibility and the in state angle.. 2014 has a pure point guard in tyus a 2 slash 3 in rashad, and d 3 slash 4 in reid travis... 2015 has a point guard in jarvis johnson a mobile 4 in illikainen and a big body with good touch inside and outside which il consider a unique 4 slash 5 in ellenson (i know hes not from minnesota but hes as important for us)..

Marshawn Wilson is a 2015 kid too!

Top Bottom