OSU Ticket Policy for OU Rivalry game

grunkiejr

Mentor to 007
Reaction score
http://newsok.com/bedlam-football-s...limits-supply-drives-up-value/article/3324894

Oklahoma State did not allow single game ticket sales for the Bedlam game versus Oklahoma. Instead OU fans had to buy through the allotment at OU (5,000 @ $100 a piece) or it required an OSU season ticket purchase.

Considering the problems we had getting a home field advantage against Wisconsin or Iowa in the dome this sounds like it would have been a good policy to consider. Instead of doing this the U of M adjusted the ticket prices to make the non-conference games cheaper than the Big Ten games and the Wisconin/Iowa game more expensive than the rest of the Big Ten games.

Another tactic enacted by the Vikings was to pair the Green Bay Packers game with a preseason game which in essence increased the price of the game and made it a worse deal for Packer fans than Vikings fans that presumably would still attend the preseason game. Nobody knows how much that will change in the new stadium but I wouldn't mind seeing the Wisconsin game paired with the SDSU game next year. Even if we have a lot of SDSU fans that want to see that game they probably would be willing to take the tickets to the Wisconsin game and cheer for the Gophers.

I sure hope there isn't tickets left for wisCONsin. Give them the minimum and that should be it. If we have to offer UW another 2,000 tickets next year we should fold up the program.

Anybody know what the minimum amount of visiting tickets is in the BT?

Fellas, our days of being outnumbered by opposing fans are over. Even in the worst of the worst of the worst years in the dome the gophers still drew 30,000 fans for rivalry games. Considering TCF Bank will seat less than 50,000 and roughly 10,000 will be student tickets I think we're safe. Yes, there will be idots that sell their tickets to the visiting fans in order to make a quick buck but it won't yield a majority IMHO. Take a look at the Viking/Packer games at the dome. The Packer fans that show up are loud, annoying and obnoxious but they don't outnumber Viking fans.

you are forgetting something

Remember that a large number of Gopher Football tickets are sold to corporations. And fortunately all of these large corporations have plenty of Wisconsin and Iowa transplants working for them and these tickets ALWAYS go to those folks. Plus many students here at the U are from Wisconsin and they will wear their red colors when they play the Gophers. So you might as well be prepared for the Wisconsin game next year - the stadium will be 50% Red...maybe more. Sorry but that is the truth.

50%? Not even close.

If we have to offer more than the minimum number of visiting seats in the next 4 years we're in trouble. That's all I'm trying to say.

You're smoking crack

Remember that a large number of Gopher Football tickets are sold to corporations. And fortunately all of these large corporations have plenty of Wisconsin and Iowa transplants working for them and these tickets ALWAYS go to those folks. Plus many students here at the U are from Wisconsin and they will wear their red colors when they play the Gophers. So you might as well be prepared for the Wisconsin game next year - the stadium will be 50% Red...maybe more. Sorry but that is the truth.

You are obviously a Badger troll. There is no way the game is 50% red. The ratio didn't even get that far in the Metrodome with far more single game tickets available. The season tickets are already sold out in the new stadium and there is a waitlist so it won't even come close to what you are saying.

I'm not really sure that there are a lot of corporate seats for the Gophers. My company, a Minnesota based company, had tickets for all the pro sports as well as suites at all the stadiums but they never had Gopher tickets unless it was using the suite at the dome. The Gophers are just not a corporate event like pro sports are.

There are some Badger fans that come to Minnesota and stay Badger fans but it is a very small minority that cheer for Wisconsin over Minnesota. Having gone to the U and been in a fraternity-so you meet a lot of people-I only remember a couple that didn't cheer for the Gophers. More often they have friends that they went to HS with that come up for the game or kids from Minnesota attending the U invite their HS friends that went to school in that crap town to the east. I did the same thing by going to games at Madison and sitting in their student section with a friend from HS that went there.

you are a F-ING TROLL! thanks for registering so you could talk some BS about how much you love becky. two posts. harley gopher?! please! go back to milwaukee "harley" gopher. piss off loser!

I am sorry but Harley is not off base at all

I spent the better half of the Iowa game brooding on this very subject. I feel that this is at the heart of all that is wrong with this city's sports culture.

First off, this next season will be my tenth as a ticketholder including my stint in the student section. I saw the highs and lows of the Mason era and the start of the current program. I can hear the derisson coming in response to my following observations and let me say this: I, dear Gopherholers, am no troll. Despite my inability to spend the time to post 400 times in the last month, I live and die by this football program.

Certainly let me say that the rise of the internet ticket broker has made it very hard to keep Iowa or Wisconsin fans out of our games, as long as they remain more ardently supportive of their programs than the average Minnesotan is of just about anything. Tickets were very available to the most recent Iowa game, Iowa travels well. With the legalization of ticket scalping in this state this is only going to get more prevelent pending a seachange of public attitude in our own fanbase. We tried the method of pairing these rival tickets to another game in the past and it hasn't worked. Most famously when linked to the NDSU game, Iowa's fanbase happily set a steady trade with the NDSU fanbase and many tickets were being swapped so that it actually had a multiplier effect on non gophers attending those games. Two Bison ticket holders would trade their tickets to Hawkeyes and there would now be four Iowans and four NoDaks at the respective games.

As toward half the crowd not being members of the opposing fanbase I assure you this last game was one of them. Not having the stomach to pay to close attention to the game in the second half I endevoured to come up with a somewhat scientific estimate using crowd counting techniques learned at our beloved U. After a painful half hour's task I am certain there was nearly 60% Hawkeyes last Saturday. The upper deck of the dome has more seats than downstairs and there was an overwhelming majority of Iowa fans upstairs. The lower bowl had a majority of Gophers but not by that great of a margin. There was still at least 20% Hawkeyes downstairs. Admittedly this was the worst of the 70 odd games I've been to it terms of just about everything, including our fans attendance, but to say it cannot happen at the new stadium is premature.

I think there are less student turncoats than there used to be, but there is still a staggering amount of students who are gopher fans every Saturday except for when their childhood football heroes come riding in from their home state. This is probably the most disgusting aspect of being a gopher fan for me. I am a borderstate transplant but I am entirely devoted to the sports of my Alma Mater and was appalled when I would look around the student section on Wisconsin Saturdays. It was the start of the decade the student section comprised of about a third of what it is now if not less, but there was easily a quarter of the fans in the 2001 that was wearing red. The badgers were much less removed from their rosebowl teams in time, and reciprocity was and is still a major element to our student population swelling its ranks with students unable to let go of their favorite teams back home. My experience in 01 with the girl who had sat next to me all season was indicative of the disease (this being before the current general seating system in the student section we were assigned seats) I will never forget how she looked at me when asked wtf!? when she arrived in red with four scarlet clad friends. She bubbled "I loved the badgers in highschool and all my friends came up too!" I think I puked in my mouth. This looks bad to everybody outside this program. This is awful to recruits and their families in comparison to other schools students.

As toward the "grown up" season ticketholders they are scarcely less sporadic in their fandom.
What disturbed me at the Iowa game particularly was the large number of Iowa fans who had obviously bought tickets held by our season ticketholders. The lower bowl had seats littered with scattered groups of black jerseys and sweatshirts where there was maroon and gold all year. I know that the Michigan game was disappointing but the number of fans who bailed is sickening. The couple that has sat next to my group for several years are also no better as they too pawned off their seats to friends. And these are people who can remember gopher national championships. Forget about the fans raised as vikings fans. Or children of the Wacker era. They are some of the most fair weather fans in all of sports. Half the gopher fan base shows up late, and leaves early and given the slightest reason they bail on the whole season. The new stadium will keep these people interested for a while but I don't think it is a cure-all for this place. They will always be willing to sell off their tickets if the team is down, it is part of the culture of this city. I know many have alleged that it is the saturated sports market of the state, but I think it is lame given how many alums stay in this state. The fact that we graduate enough students in couple years to fill the dome, but can't find 45,000 fans out of the hundreds of thousands of alumni that live in a easy drive is absolutely ridiculous.

Don't blame harelygopher for noting our horrible attendance. Get mad at bastards who come late, leave early, don't cheer, and are more than willing to sell their ticket on ebay for a quick 70 bucks, because they are and will be the problem for a long fricking time. Or call me a troll and pretend it doesn't exist.

Bitch, whine, moan.

Buy your tickets, show up, have a good time. You can't control whether or not your fellow Minnesotans give a crap about Gopher Football.

There won't be that many Iowa or Wisconsin fans in the new stadium. There will be more than you like.

I always get corporate tickets to Gopher games at Northwestern. It's how the world works. If you want less Iowans and Wisconsinites in Minnesota then you'll have to get rid of the vibrant economy and social scene in the Twin Cities.

I spent the better half of the Iowa game brooding on this very subject. I feel that this is at the heart of all that is wrong with this city's sports culture.

First off, this next season will be my tenth as a ticketholder including my stint in the student section. I saw the highs and lows of the Mason era and the start of the current program. I can hear the derisson coming in response to my following observations and let me say this: I, dear Gopherholers, am no troll. Despite my inability to spend the time to post 400 times in the last month, I live and die by this football program.

Certainly let me say that the rise of the internet ticket broker has made it very hard to keep Iowa or Wisconsin fans out of our games, as long as they remain more ardently supportive of their programs than the average Minnesotan is of just about anything. Tickets were very available to the most recent Iowa game, Iowa travels well. With the legalization of ticket scalping in this state this is only going to get more prevelent pending a seachange of public attitude in our own fanbase. We tried the method of pairing these rival tickets to another game in the past and it hasn't worked. Most famously when linked to the NDSU game, Iowa's fanbase happily set a steady trade with the NDSU fanbase and many tickets were being swapped so that it actually had a multiplier effect on non gophers attending those games. Two Bison ticket holders would trade their tickets to Hawkeyes and there would now be four Iowans and four NoDaks at the respective games.

As toward half the crowd not being members of the opposing fanbase I assure you this last game was one of them. Not having the stomach to pay to close attention to the game in the second half I endevoured to come up with a somewhat scientific estimate using crowd counting techniques learned at our beloved U. After a painful half hour's task I am certain there was nearly 60% Hawkeyes last Saturday. The upper deck of the dome has more seats than downstairs and there was an overwhelming majority of Iowa fans upstairs. The lower bowl had a majority of Gophers but not by that great of a margin. There was still at least 20% Hawkeyes downstairs. Admittedly this was the worst of the 70 odd games I've been to it terms of just about everything, including our fans attendance, but to say it cannot happen at the new stadium is premature.

I think there are less student turncoats than there used to be, but there is still a staggering amount of students who are gopher fans every Saturday except for when their childhood football heroes come riding in from their home state. This is probably the most disgusting aspect of being a gopher fan for me. I am a borderstate transplant but I am entirely devoted to the sports of my Alma Mater and was appalled when I would look around the student section on Wisconsin Saturdays. It was the start of the decade the student section comprised of about a third of what it is now if not less, but there was easily a quarter of the fans in the 2001 that was wearing red. The badgers were much less removed from their rosebowl teams in time, and reciprocity was and is still a major element to our student population swelling its ranks with students unable to let go of their favorite teams back home. My experience in 01 with the girl who had sat next to me all season was indicative of the disease (this being before the current general seating system in the student section we were assigned seats) I will never forget how she looked at me when asked wtf!? when she arrived in red with four scarlet clad friends. She bubbled "I loved the badgers in highschool and all my friends came up too!" I think I puked in my mouth. This looks bad to everybody outside this program. This is awful to recruits and their families in comparison to other schools students.

As toward the "grown up" season ticketholders they are scarcely less sporadic in their fandom.
What disturbed me at the Iowa game particularly was the large number of Iowa fans who had obviously bought tickets held by our season ticketholders. The lower bowl had seats littered with scattered groups of black jerseys and sweatshirts where there was maroon and gold all year. I know that the Michigan game was disappointing but the number of fans who bailed is sickening. The couple that has sat next to my group for several years are also no better as they too pawned off their seats to friends. And these are people who can remember gopher national championships. Forget about the fans raised as vikings fans. Or children of the Wacker era. They are some of the most fair weather fans in all of sports. Half the gopher fan base shows up late, and leaves early and given the slightest reason they bail on the whole season. The new stadium will keep these people interested for a while but I don't think it is a cure-all for this place. They will always be willing to sell off their tickets if the team is down, it is part of the culture of this city. I know many have alleged that it is the saturated sports market of the state, but I think it is lame given how many alums stay in this state. The fact that we graduate enough students in couple years to fill the dome, but can't find 45,000 fans out of the hundreds of thousands of alumni that live in a easy drive is absolutely ridiculous.

Don't blame harelygopher for noting our horrible attendance. Get mad at bastards who come late, leave early, don't cheer, and are more than willing to sell their ticket on ebay for a quick 70 bucks, because they are and will be the problem for a long fricking time. Or call me a troll and pretend it doesn't exist.

troll! :) :)

harley_gopher

Is right about one thing...local companies cater to the rival fans. Since Cambria has had a syite at the dome, they fill it with nothing but Hogs and wisky. Lets just say my counter tops are granite. 50% red is quite a stretch however.

Outside of the suites, which are obviously corporate tickets, does anyone else know of a lot of corporations that buy Gophers tickets for employees? I've always been under the assumption that most companies do a lot more ticket buying for entertaining/employee recognition at the pro events and not at the college events.

My last employer was a financial services company so we did a lot of client entertaining but the tickets they bought were all pro. You could buy season tickets yourself and if you brought a client you could charge the game back to the company but they didn't buy tickets directly.

I'm just looking for input from others. Thanks in advance.

Is right about one thing...local companies cater to the rival fans. Since Cambria has had a suite at the dome, they fill it with nothing but Hogs and wisky. Lets just say my counter tops are granite. 50% red is quite a stretch however.

i am not sure i whole heartedly believe this, but even if partly true why is this the case? what do any of the local corporations have to gain from giving them to becky/hogeyes rather than gopher fans who work for them? or is this more a case of becky & hogeye transplants that work for said companies being especially conniving when it comes to obtaining these tickets for the gopher games when they were at the metrodome?

my guess from working with several dirty sconnies & a few smelly hogeyes who love the minneapolis economy & lifestyle, but claim they "hate" all things minnesota, is it is more often the latter scenario i referenced.

To set the record straight - my previous moniker was goldandmaroon with over 1500 posts. Since moving to the new board I can't get logged on with that profile. So I guess that explains why I am only showing 2 postings. I'm wondering where in that posting am I stating anything controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic. I am just stating what I think will happen. I guess that we'll see next Fall.

I've been pondering all season about the worthiness of this message board. At one point, this board was a good source of information. It is obvious that some folks spent way too much time in here.

Good luck to ya....

To set the record straight - my previous moniker was goldandmaroon with over 1500 posts. Since moving to the new board I can't get logged on with that profile. So I guess that explains why I am only showing 2 postings. I'm wondering where in that posting am I stating anything controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic. I am just stating what I think will happen. I guess that we'll see next Fall.

I've been pondering all season about the worthiness of this message board. At one point, this board was a good source of information. It is obvious that some folks spent way too much time in here.

Good luck to ya....

a tear, a tear

:(

Remember that a large number of Gopher Football tickets are sold to corporations. And fortunately all of these large corporations have plenty of Wisconsin and Iowa transplants working for them and these tickets ALWAYS go to those folks.

Did you maybe mean "unfortunately"?

Good luck to ya....

Well, when you say things like that 50% of TCF will be red when we play wisky, what do you expect? It was never that bad in the dome.

Maybe sometime in the 2nd half (when half the Gopher fans had probably left) Iowa had 60% of the dome. I am willing to go out on a limb and say no visiting team has ever had more than 40% of the Dome's crowd.

The crowd got very loud at times at the Dome (being indoors obviously helped that) and I am somewhat concerned about the noise levels of a typical Minnesota crowd outdoors. I have nothing but good things to say about the older Gopher fans who populated the Dome as they have suffered through far more disappointing seasons than I have, but older people are usually more reserved and unlikely to make much noise. I do hope the outdoor stadium encourages a new generation of Gopher fans to start attending games and make more noise. On that same front, I would hope that new traditions would be started, hopefully something that caters to the 25 and under crowd.

I think the Gophers may get a buzz going in the Twin Cities for the first time since Holtz when they open the stadium, but that will fade with the first loss. The program has to show the public it's a serious contender before they jump on board for the long haul. I think that's why the older fans keep showing up...they were alive at a time when the Gophers were contenders. Many of us have never seen it. Most everyone on the board is a diehard, but it's a waste of time to complain about fan support, it just won't be there consistently until the Gophers play some great football.

It's NOT just Minnesota fans. Iowa had a 36 game sellout streak snapped against Purdue the week before they played the Gophers. This is a team that's been to several Jan 1 bowls in recent years and even won a Big Ten title.

I think our efforts are better focused on winning games than thinking of reasons why we can't/shouldn't win them.

You are an idiot if you think the stadium will be 50% red for the wisconsin game next year. I am honestly going to be shocked if it is more than 10-15%

There will be a lot of maroon and gold in TCF. That's the way it should be. Anyone caught selling their ticket to a badger/hawkeye should lose their ticket privileges.

But don't we want just a couple of opposing fans to visit us in TCF? The hilarity that would ensue if/when they christen some new bathroom stalls would be priceless.

Top Bottom