Alex Foster Commits to the University of Minnesota

Winona Gopher

Reaction score
Per is twitter account

@Foster_34 Its official im a Golden Gopher! Just committed to the university of Minnesota #gophernation #blessed

Per is twitter account

@Foster_34 Its official im a Golden Gopher! Just committed to the university of Minnesota #gophernation #blessed

Wooooooooo! I take a few days away from GH and players are committing right and left.

Wooooooooo! I take a few days away from GH and players are committing right and left.

I have seen Foster a lot. He matured early and was very highly ranked in Illinois. Has dropped a lot in the last two years. Reminds me of Stanley Gaines situation some years ago.

I love the Alvin Ellis commitment. Foster? Ok, I guess. Role player unless he regains his early mojo. Jmo

Nice signing by Tubby and the Gophers. Welcome!

I've never seen him play, but he seems like a pretty solid get for us if his offer lists are legit. Between the comment by combes and looking at his offer list, I'm wondering if some of those better programs cooled off on him. Anyone have any info on that? Either way, if he had those offers at some point, I'm happy to have him. I'm pretty content with our first two commits. This class is looking a lot better than it did a week ago.

I've never seen him play, but he seems like a pretty solid get for us if his offer lists are legit. Between the comment by combes and looking at his offer list, I'm wondering if some of those better programs cooled off on him. Anyone have any info on that? Either way, if he had those offers at some point, I'm happy to have him. I'm pretty content with our first two commits. This class is looking a lot better than it did a week ago.

Yes - big time cooling off. Foster has a lot of talent - question might be does he fit in better as a 3 or 4 in Minnesota.. has the size to play inside, but doesn't do it much - more comfortable on the perimeter.

He was a part of the Big 3 in Chicago a few years ago.. Jabari Parker (yes, that one), Tommy Hamilton and Foster were the hot shot young recruits. Parker obviously is still way up there.. but Foster hasn't progressed as much as some thought he would.

Could turn out being quite good. Quality addition, but I think they still need a banger in '13.

Between the comment by combes and looking at his offer list, I'm wondering if some of those better programs cooled off on him. Anyone have any info on that?

Ryan James mentioned in his article that Auburn and Tennessee were the other BCS schools still actively recruiting him.

Thanks for the info from both. I figured that was the case but didn't know the extent of it. The reason I was still fairly happy with the commitment was due to the downward comparison (sorry to keep bashing our former commit), but also the fact that if he once had those offers, he must at least be quite talented. The more negative way to look at it might be that he already peaked or hasn't worked hard to improve (but still has the capacity). Hopefully it's the latter if it's either of those two reasons. Any further perspective on these comments would be appreciated.

We would have a top 25 team every year if every player we signed had Foster's offer list.

Foster did not have a Purdue offer. Painter showed some interest early in his recruitment but he was never offered. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, Foster got a lot more attention a couple years ago but has since slipped a bit.

It certainly was fun at the barn last night. I sat between the two newest gopher basketball recruits last night that being Tessa Stapleton the 6'4" center from Ohio that committed to the lady Gophers and Alex Foster who, of course, committed to the men's gopher team. An outstanding night. Got a chance to speak with miss Stapleton and she was a delight. Last night if Williams, Coleman, and Mbakwe were the best men's players last night then Ellenson and Buggs were not far behind. Two very talented athletic players and stars of the future to be sure.

This is good news. Now sign Schilling or Hayes and a point guard to back-up Tyus.

This is good news. Now sign Schilling or Hayes and a point guard to back-up Tyus.

Personally I hope we bank 1 scholarship. Going to want 3 in 2014 IMO tyus, Vaughn, Travis/Okafor

Tyus and Vaughn could step into a great situation. Assuming Schilling or Hayes signs, they would have an experienced front court including bigs Walker and Eliason.

I think I recall reading somewhere that they were planning to sign 3 this year, but that could have been a speculative piece of info, I don't remember where I saw it.

Foster did not have a Purdue offer. Painter showed some interest early in his recruitment but he was never offered. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, Foster got a lot more attention a couple years ago but has since slipped a bit.

I love how people post things like this. As if you know.

Top Bottom