CBS Top 100 College Bball Players... Couple of Gophers make the list

While it's nice for the players to be getting some recognition, these rankings are always garbage. How do you rank incoming freshmen against players who have already proven their ability to play college ball?

While it's nice for the players to be getting some recognition, these rankings are always garbage. How do you rank incoming freshmen against players who have already proved their ability to play college ball?

By listening to, watching, and believing talking heads who hardly know where the State of Minnesota is?

How do you rank incoming freshmen against players who have already proven their ability to play college ball?

By having watched the incoming freshman play (including with & against some of the returning college players) and projections based on a multitude of inputs.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, a multitude of inputs! I didn't think about that!

I don't think "they" do much analysis at all. They probably just sprinkle in highly regarded freshmen at arbitrary points along the rankings. Even though these rankings are just preseason fodder, I'd be far more interested to see a ranking of top 100 returning players and top 25 freshmen.

Looking at last year: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...preview-top-100-players-in-college-basketball

It even works the other way! Anthony Davis was grossly underrated.

Andre Hollins

I thought that Andre Hollins might make the list somewhere between 50-100 based on how he finished last year.

I thought that Andre Hollins might make the list somewhere between 50-100 based on how he finished last year.

Dre seems to be relatively unknown currently outside of us Gopher fans who know what a beast he can be. He had a couple of 20+ point games against Northwestern and Michigan in the Big Ten tournament, and actually made the all-tournament team, but he really lit it up in the NIT, but being in the NIT means you probably aren't going to be noticed because there are bigger and more relevant things going on, such as the NCAA tournament. It would seem he was at his best last season around the time people stopped paying attention to us, so his best performances went rather unnoticed. When you see people talking about how good the Gophers will be this year, most of it has to do with Trevor getting his sixth year, some mention of Rodney, and very occasionally Hollins' name is mentioned. It's kind of exciting having such a good player, but no one else knows how good he is. Most of us Gopher fans are expecting big things from him this year, but I feel like if he really does turn it on this season, the rest of the conference/country is going to be like, "Where did this guy come from?"

It just wasn't as good as people make it out to be. He scored a lot of points, but wasn't extraordinarily efficient. He projects to be much improved this year and I'd think some people would include them in a top 100 list of this sort, but the legend of late last season is overdone a bit.

Cayman said:
Dre seems to be relatively unknown currently outside of us Gopher fans who know what a beast he can be.

Nationally he's a fairly trendy pick to be a guy that shows a lot of improvement in 2012-13. (It's a good call & makes sense.)

While it's nice for the players to be getting some recognition, these rankings are always garbage. How do you rank incoming freshmen against players who have already proven their ability to play college ball?

Well pretty much every year for the past 5-10 years there are a handful of freshmen clearly among the best players in the country. At this point it's not really guess work anymore

Trev at 15, Rodney at 93, if I had to guess Dre would probably be in the 100-200 maybe 165ish, certainly could make this list next year. Austin Hollins is probaly in that 250-300 range, Joe Coleman I feel is in the 300-400 area, he was a top 100 recruit afterall. Plus we have another good scoring option off the bench in Welch, Eliason can be a defensive stopper, Walker's the wildcard I think he will be limited this year, but by next year I think he will be at full strength and might even make this list by his senior year. We have a very good top eight and I don't see any reason why any of our 13 scholarship players can't contribute in some form if need be. Bigten is tough this year, but I can see this team finishing between4th and 6th and 6th in the bigten might get you a six seed on selection sunday this year.

Top Bottom