No surprise, Kentucky lands the Harrison twins

I would argue that Calipari and Kentucky are in the middle of the most impressive college basketball run in history. Gonna get ripped for not bowing to Wooden and the Bruins dynasty but Wooden did not have to restock his roster every single year and had players like Alcindor and Walton for their entire eligibility. Also obviously college basketball in 2009 and onwards is much stronger than it was when the Bruins were dominating. Just my opinion

Oooh, two Final Fours in a row and one National Title, definitely the most impressive run in history!

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...765-Kentucky-starting-5-declare-for-NBA-draft

I felt like we'd been down this road before recently, and we had. Nothing has changed in my mind since the post above in April. One thing I will concede is this-I doubt that we've seen recruiting as dominant as what we're witnessing from Calipari in my lifetime (although I do recall Coach K having quite a stellar run back in the Laettner, Hurley, Hill, Maggette, Langdon, Jay Williams, Boozer, Brand, etc. days). In regards to recruiting, Calipari's owned the scene since moving to Kentucky. That doesn't translate to the court however, and I will be at least mildly surprised if they advance to the Final Four again this year.

One other point-I strongly disagree with the point that college basketball since 2009 is much better than before. As much as I've enjoyed the runs of Butler, VCU, George Mason and others in recent years, that wasn't happening in the '80s, because Cinderella's coach turned back into a pumpkin on the second weekend (and if you want to throw Villanova and NC State my way, I will note that they were veteran teams playing in major conferences) . For my money, the '80s to early '90s were the golden age of college basketball and today's teams would be hard-pressed to stay on the court with the talented veteran rosters of the elite teams from that era.

For my money, the '80s to early '90s were the golden age of college basketball and today's teams would be hard-pressed to stay on the court with the talented veteran rosters of the elite teams from that era.

Amen.

For my money, the '80s to early '90s were the golden age of college basketball and today's teams would be hard-pressed to stay on the court with the talented veteran rosters of the elite teams from that era.
Amen.

I'd be surprised if any of the freshman lead national champions of today could beat the national champions of the early 90's. Exactly as has been said, those teams had senior stars who were that much better. Calipari is not a great coach, he's just a fantastic recruiter and finally at a college where he can get the best of the best. They'll likely win 1 out of every 4 titles until he gets busted for major recruiting violations or gets caught on a motorcycle with a college intern (see Bobby Petrino). What's interesting is that Calipari has no need to cheat any longer, he's going to get the kids either way. But somehow I don't think that will matter.

I'm not quite as high on Aaron as others. He's way up there no doubt.. I've got Aaron Gordon over Aaron Harrison.

Andrew at PG is just plain scary. Big, big time stud.

Personally I don't think coach Cal's teams could touch the Fab Five and they didn't get it done, I wouldn't just crown kentucky every year, you have to get most of those NBA ballers to check to ego at the door and play defense in March, not a guarentee every season

In addition to the Harrison Twins, UK just landed its third top 5 player:

Shooting guard James Young (Rochester, Mich./Rochester) committed to Kentucky on Thursday afternoon. His pledge gives the Wildcats the nation's No. 1 point guard in Andrew Harrison (Richmond, Texas/Travis), the top-rated 2 guard in Andrew's twin brother, Aaron, and Young, the No. 2 shooting guard. And don't forget about skilled power forward Derek Willis (Mount Washington, Ky./Bullitt East), who is no slouch.

Coach John Calipari has now locked up three of the top five players in the ESPN 100 and has extended the Wildcats lead as the best recruiting class in 2013, leaving the other programs nearly out of the picture.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncb.../4055/youngs-pledge-gives-uk-loaded-backcourt

Go Gophers!!

Calipari has the best NBA feeder system in the history of College Basketball. And KY is paying him big bucks to do that and it is costing the NBA $0. Oh, wait....hmmmmmm maybe I am wrong on the last part.

Top Bottom