All Things 2012-2013 Gopher Women's Basketball Season Thread

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Links, game analysis, articles, videos and more in this thread for Pam Borton & Co.

Basketball Season means Snow. I hate snow. I love basketball.

Good Luck Lady Gophers!!!

Another in-state recruiting loss for Borton:

Gophers women's basketball: Braham star Rebekah Dahlman says no to U

Braham High School girls basketball standout Rebekah Dahlman told the Pioneer Press on Tuesday, Oct. 2, that she called the women's basketball coaches at Minnesota and Tennessee to say she had crossed their schools off her college finalists.

The Pioneer Press player of the year last season and Minnesota's all-time leading scorer (boys or girls), she has narrowed her finalists to Iowa State, Vanderbilt and Florida.

Dahlman, a senior who likely will surpass the 5,000-point mark for her high school career this season, had 25 Division I offers. She said she could make a final decision in the coming weeks.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...s-basketball-braham-star-rebekah-dahlman-says

Go Gophers!!

It'd be a shame if a talent like Banham has to go solo during her 4 years here. They need to get some talent to surround her.

It'd be a shame if a talent like Banham has to go solo during her 4 years here. They need to get some talent to surround her.

You got that right.

Didn't Teague say something to the effect that Borton was next in line for an extension?

MN Daily: Banham recovering from offseason blood clot

Gophers women’s basketball star Rachel Banham said Friday that she is currently unable to practice with contact because of a blood clot she had in her lung this July.

A sophomore captain, Banham said she would be ready to play a week before Minnesota's first game.

http://www.mndaily.com/2012/10/12/banham-recovering-offseason-blood-clot

Go Gophers!!

I don't know how Borton landed her TBH. I usally go to 6 games or so and it gets tougher and tougher every year. I don't like Borton. I don't think she can recruit or coach. Too much talent leaving the state.

But like you I sure hope Banham gets some help. She is fantastic to watch and it would be a shame if she had to shoulder the whole load for the next 3 years.

As a former scout team member for the women's team I had known at least a few of the girls on the team every year since I graduated. This season's team is the first without any girls that I scrimmaged against in practice. Makes me feel old.

As a former scout team member for the women's team I had known at least a few of the girls on the team every year since I graduated. This season's team is the first without any girls that I scrimmaged against in practice. Makes me feel old.

And your thoughts on Borton?

And your thoughts on Borton?

I didn't have much interaction with her, the assistants were in charge of telling us what to do. Overall she definitely wasn't incompetent and was a pretty hard nosed coach, but I'm not sure how much the players improved over time.

per the U:

Minnesota's Banham Cleared to Return to Practice Full Time

Golden Gopher guard Rachel Banham was cleared to practice with full contact by the University of Minnesota women’s basketball team doctor Tuesday afternoon. The reigning Big Ten Freshman of the Year has been sidelined since July, when doctors discovered a blood clot in her lung.

“I am really excited to come back and help my team on the court,” Banham said of getting cleared. “My coaches and teammates have been so supportive of me during my recovery and I can’t wait to get back out and start playing basketball again.”

“I am very excited that Rachel was cleared to return to practice,” head coach Pam Borton said. “She was very diligent in doing what was asked of her each and every day for the past three months, and because of her discipline and following the direction of her doctors, she was able to return at this point. I know Rachel, her teammates and the coaching staff are all very excited to get her back on the floor full time.”

Banham and the Gophers will see their first action of the 2012-13 season on Wednesday, Oct. 31 in an exhibition contest vs. Concordia St. Paul at Williams Arena. The game is scheduled to get underway at 7:00 p.m.

-UM-

Go Gophers!!

On paper this appears to be one of the better teams of Borton's tenure. Certainly young, but I find youth matters less in women's college sports than in men's sports.

Both Kayla Hirt and Jackie Johnson were top 100 players coming out of high school, while Loberg and Riche are capable Big Ten post players, this team was lacking a consistent inside threat last season. If Hirt is as good as Borton says, this team could surprise.

This is all assuming that Banham has fully recovered from her illness.

Anyone know how many tv games we will get?

I'm too lazy to search.

Is the recruit from Sweden any good? Aren't they raving about her?

Yes, but couldn't get eligible for this year. Chance she could come to the U in the future, but last I heard ( a couple of weeks ago) I think she's just a recruit that could one day be a Gopher.

Not very realistic that she can show up and be a contributor, but apparently she's coming.

From the women's BB site.

Four months of intensive studies paid off. Amanda Zahui passed his last SAT test and will now return to college.

- I got the results today and did it splendidly. It is a great relief. Everything has revolved around it for four months, she tells LT sport.

The test result means that the previous Telge-center can realize their college dreams and start playing with the University of Minnesota after the New Year, when the spring semester starts.

- It is not clear exactly when I go over. As the earliest I get to go on December 24 and on Christmas Eve I fly not.

- Right now I'm training with Telge and will do so until I go. In addition, I run the phys alone. Now I can focus on it without being stressed and tense because of the tests, continues Zahui.

So will she play starting in the big ten season or sit out this year and start her freshman season next year?

Not very realistic that she can show up and be a contributor, but apparently she's coming.

From the women's BB site.

Four months of intensive studies paid off. Amanda Zahui passed his last SAT test and will now return to college.

- I got the results today and did it splendidly. It is a great relief. Everything has revolved around it for four months, she tells LT sport.

The test result means that the previous Telge-center can realize their college dreams and start playing with the University of Minnesota after the New Year, when the spring semester starts.

- It is not clear exactly when I go over. As the earliest I get to go on December 24 and on Christmas Eve I fly not.

- Right now I'm training with Telge and will do so until I go. In addition, I run the phys alone. Now I can focus on it without being stressed and tense because of the tests, continues Zahui.

Mulligan, I couldn't find the link for the story on the women's BB site. Any chance you can post it so I can see the story? Thanks in advance.

Mulligan, I couldn't find the link for the story on the women's BB site. Any chance you can post it so I can see the story? Thanks in advance.

Unless you can read Swedish, it's not going to do you much good. I hope the person who posted it was accurate. "University of Minnesota" is in the story in English. There is a picture of her and she looks like a basketball player.

http://lt.se/sport/basket/1.1857678-zahui-godkand-flyttar-till-usa

Thanks for your link, mnsports255

Top Bottom