USA Basketball Selects Pair of Minnesota Pump N Run Teammates

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
USA Basketball Selects Pair of Minnesota Pump N Run Teammates
Henry Ellenson (2015) and Amir Coffey (2016) recognized as top members of the 2015 and 2016 classes.
By J.B. Bauer

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/181494?referrer_id=388419

Minnesota Pump N Run U15 teammates Henry Ellenson, a 6'9", 250 pound sophomore from Rice Lake, Wis. and Amir Coffey, a 6'3", 160 pound freshman at Hopkins high school, were both invited to the 2012 USA Basketball Men’s Developmental National Team mini-camp on Oct. 6-7 at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo.
Ellenson has already attracted interest and offers from high majors across the country, including an offer from the Minnesota Golden Gophers. His oldest brother Wally is a 6'4" freshman guard at the U who possesses tremendous hops and overall athleticism. Henry is much bigger, but capable of playing inside or out. The upside for the high school sophomore is huge and this opportunity will surely help his progression.

Many Gopher fans remember Richard Coffey (Minnesota, 1990) as "the Paratrooper", a hard-working military man who was ready to fight for a rebound against anyone. An undersized forward, Coffey's toughness and fundamentals made him one of the better rebounders the school has ever seen. His son Amir is long and lean, but far more heavy on the skills than his father. Like Ellenson, Coffey is an exceptional talent with the ability to be great.

Forty-six invitees plan to make the trip to Colorado, including 34 players born on or after January 1, 1997 who are therefore eligible for the 2013 FIBA Americas U16 Championship and the 2014 FIBA U17 World Championship (if USA qualifies). The 12 older players will train for future events such as the 2014 FIBA Americas U18 Championship and the Nike Hoop Summit.

Twenty-five states are represented, including five players apiece from California and New Jersey; four from Illinois; three from Maryland and Tennessee; and two from Georgia, Michigan, North Carolina, New York, South Carolina and Wisconsin. In addition to Ellenson, the state of Wisconsin will send Diamond Stone, a 6'10", 252 pound sophomore from Milwaukee Hamilton high school.

The rosters for the 2013 FIBA Americas U16 Championship won't be finalized until next summer, but the rosters for the first two U16 FIBA Americas Championship events, held every two years, have been nothing short of impressive. The USA roster for the inagural championship in 2009 included 2012 NBA draft lottery picks Brad Beal and Andre Drummond and the 2011 team featured Chicago stars Jabari Parker, Jahlil Okafor and Kendrick Nunn as well as Apple Valley, Minnesota's own Tyus Jones.

To be selected by the USA Basketball Men's Developmental National Team Committee is a great honor and while the weekend provides the USA Basketball coaches an opportunity to evaluate players, the athletes benefit from skill development and the opportunity to play with and against other top talent. I'll be at the U.S. Olympic Training Center for the four sessions being held this weekend and look forward to seeing not only the Midwest kids, but the talent from across the nation.

For the complete roster, click here:

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/181494?referrer_id=388419

In addition to Ellenson, the state of Wisconsin will send Diamond Stone, a 6'10", 252 pound sophomore from Milwaukee Hamilton high school.

-He lives in MN these days.

Did Diamond Stone switch High Schools? I thought he played for Whitefish Bay Dominican.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about Amir Coffey on here. Any info on our recruitment of him? I know it's really early, but still.

I used to like the Mayor. Not anymore.

But you would love him if he was here. The administration here would never let him take the chances that he has there, but the recruiting energy would still translate here, IMO

per Sid:

"Two basketball players coveted by Gophers coaches recently were highlighted by ESPN reporter Reggie Rankin at the 2012 USA Basketball men's developmental national team minicamp for players in the 2015 and 2016 recruiting classes.

Henry Ellenson, a 6-8 sophomore and younger brother of Wally Ellenson, who will be a freshman at Minnesota this year, is out of Rice Lake, Wis., Rankin wrote: "Ellenson is a coach's dream and an opposing post player's worst nightmare. He has size, strength, skill and the ability to score with his back to the basket and can easily extend to the arc when facing it."

Also highlighted was Hopkins 6-5 guard Amir Coffey, a Class of 2016 recruit and son of former Gophers center Richard Coffey. So far Amir has only been offered a scholarship by Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg, but the Gophers are recruiting him. Rankin wrote of Amir: "Coffey has off-the-charts upside. At times he reminded me of a young [Michigan "Fab Five" guard] Jalen Rose."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/173591931.html

Go Gophers!!

Why have we not offered Coffey? Anyone know much about him/our recruitment?

Why have we not offered Coffey? Anyone know much about him/our recruitment?

Probably just because he's so young and a lot can happen between now and the time he graduates. I'd imagine he'll keep getting better though as he has a lot of potential.

Coffey will probably be 6th man at Hopkins this year. He added 3-4 inches since last season. Will not make USA team was surprised he got an invite. Looked to be 4th best guy on AAU 15u team this year so not quite sure how he got the nod for the USA 16U Tryouts. Smooth player effortless style. Super thin could end up as a 1,2, or 3. Will get a gopher offer.

Coffey will probably be 6th man at Hopkins this year. He added 3-4 inches since last season. Will not make USA team was surprised he got an invite. Looked to be 4th best guy on AAU 15u team this year so not quite sure how he got the nod for the USA 16U Tryouts. Smooth player effortless style. Super thin could end up as a 1,2, or 3. Will get a gopher offer.

Who did you think was better other than Henry and Marshawn?

Evan shepherd. Wilson and Henry were the top 2 kids. Coffey playing up a year in the next group for pumpnrun. Alex Illkainen, Jarvis Johnson, Marshawn Wilson, Sam Neuman Are kids currently better than Amir who did not get an invite. Thought it was strange that Kids that put up good numbers for good high school teams get bypassed for a Kid who did not make varsity and is not expected to make a splash as a frosh.

Evan shepherd. Wilson and Henry were the top 2 kids. Coffey playing up a year in the next group for pumpnrun. Alex Illkainen, Jarvis Johnson, Marshawn Wilson, Sam Neuman Are kids currently better than Amir who did not get an invite. Thought it was strange that Kids that put up good numbers for good high school teams get bypassed for a Kid who did not make varsity and is not expected to make a splash as a frosh.

I really like Evan's game and that he's a Southsider, but would have those four ranked Henry, Amir, Marshawn, Evan.

We'll just disagree on Amir being invited by USA Basketball. I think you're underestimating how good he'll be.

Obviously not projecting how good Amir can/will be, the issue clearly was whether or not Amir was the best player right now in the state of MN eligible to be selected for the tryouts. A number 2015 players are better than Amir right now and more deserving a tryout this year. Obviously I was not projecting that 6 years from now Shepherd will be better than Amir. Statistically The players I mentioned put up better numbers for Pump than Amir. They were less likely to get pulled at crunch time so if that make Amir a better player now...your logic is is not very objectively gleaned.

Obviously not projecting how good Amir can/will be, the issue clearly was whether or not Amir was the best player right now in the state of MN eligible to be selected for the tryouts. A number 2015 players are better than Amir right now and more deserving a tryout this year... your logic is is not very objectively gleaned.

That's one of the issues as to why we're disagreeing. I'm being logical. USA Basketball did not have a developmental camp this past weekend simply as an all star reward show for having a good season. They were developing players and evaluating for competition that will occur next summer and the summer after.

You're basing your conclusions on irrelevant and less relevant data (which I would dispute anyway). "Who is better right now and more deserving a tryout this year" are not the questions.

really a lot of development occurs over a weekend... GW you are really reaching

Shepherd -> Washburn.

Also THE SCOUT!, as to your preferred invitees, remember that the cutoff for U16 next summer is a birthdate after 1/1/97.

Top Bottom