Target Field's POPULOUS to create 'U' master facilies plan

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Amelia:

Teague has said a basketball practice facility is at the top of the list, along with a new supplemental facility for football, and that it is a “need more than a want.” He estimated that the planning phase would take about three months – then Minnesota would hope to move into a design phase with at least some projects.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/172122641.html

So were these plans below just for fun or are we starting over from scratch? It feels like we're taking a few steps back, which may be appropriate with Teague now at the helm, but it certainly pushes the timeline back again.

https://www.goldengopherfund.com/On...&menu_id=0CBD4DE4-EB0B-433C-A7BD-760415318670

Go Gophers!!

So were these plans below just for fun or are we starting over from scratch? It feels like we're taking a few steps back, which may be appropriate with Teague now at the helm, but it certainly pushes the timeline back again.

https://www.goldengopherfund.com/On...&menu_id=0CBD4DE4-EB0B-433C-A7BD-760415318670

This is the question that I still haven't heard answered. Would like to know Teague's take - did folks look at it and decide it was junk? Too outdated? Or will Populous be using it in some manner?

Regardless, the big issue is finding someone to pay for facilities.

Gopher Athletics Selects POPULOUS as Facility Master Plan Partner

I believe Amelia Rayno already had a story on this yesterday, but here is the official press release from the U of MN:

University of Minnesota director of athletics Norwood Teague announced today that Gopher Sports will partner with Kansas City-based design firm POPULOUS to develop a master plan for athletic department facilities.

Once completed, the master plan will provide Gopher Sports with a facilities blueprint for the next five to 15 years that helps prioritize the department’s facility needs.

“POPULOUS is one of the major players in the athletic facilities design and planning industry and we are pleased to announce this new partnership,” said Teague. “Their work on TCF Bank Stadium was outstanding and I look forward to working with them on producing this critical document.”

According to Teague, representatives from POPULOUS will begin digging in on the project over the next month, with the final document scheduled to be completed by early spring.

Gopher Sports previously collaborated with POPULOUS on the design and construction of TCF Bank Stadium, which was completed in 2009.

About Populous

Since inception in 1983, Populous has grown into the world’s leading design firm dedicated exclusively to creating environments that draw people and communities together, from stadiums to special events. The firm has completed more than 1,000 projects around the globe with construction value exceeding $29 billion. Populous has worked with 130 universities, 40 convention center clients, 80 professional and civic arena clients, 24 Major League Baseball franchises, 30 NFL franchises, 40 global soccer and rugby teams, 29 equestrian clients and has planned more than 30 major worldwide events.

About University of Minnesota Athletics

An NCAA Division I affiliate and proud member of the Big Ten Conference and the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA), the University of Minnesota Department of Athletics is one of the nation’s premier intercollegiate sports programs. Located in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, Gopher Athletics sponsors more than 700 student-athletes competing in 25 sports and is a consistent top-25 finisher in the annual Learfield Directors’ Cup standings. Winners of 24 national championships and 178 regular season Big Ten and WCHA championships since beginning intercollegiate competition in 1876, Minnesota Athletics also boasts a proud academic tradition and has produced 101 Academic All-Americans. To learn more about Gopher Athletics, please visit www.gophersports.com.

-UM-

Unfortunately, the Tubby buyout in 2 or 3 years is going to take donor money away from the basketball and football practice facilities....

Unfortunately, the Tubby buyout in 2 or 3 years is going to take donor money away from the basketball and football practice facilities....

I think retirement is more likely.

POPULOUS -- did these dudes design the beer tents at TCF?

T. Denny Sanford

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually they did an extensive tour of all the bier gardens in Munich and decided instead of Chestnut trees they could just throw up some cheap tents and they fans would buy beer just the same.

I don't know; Tubby at this point appears to be primarily about the money. It would take a windfall relative to the contract for him to retire, IMO. Can't blame him; most of us would probably do the same. That being said, professional pride would probably kick in at an earlier stage for many of us as well.

Tubby at this point appears to be primarily about the money.

Ah, yes. That explains why he took a massive pay cut to leave Kentucky. I am blinded by the brilliance of your logic.

Ah, yes. That explains why he took a massive pay cut to leave Kentucky. I am blinded by the brilliance of your logic.

dpodoll, I am thrilled by the fact that jamalo is so adamant about Tubby. It keeps him from commenting about me. :)

dpodoll, I am thrilled by the fact that jamalo is so adamant about Tubby. It keeps him from commenting about me. :)

Doc, he was attacking you because nothing was going on during Summer. Now that Tubby may or may have not offered a player, he's got something to work on. You are safe until next Summer.

Go Gophers

per Doogie Q&A with Teague:

How involved have the POPULOUS folks been so far? (Editor's note: they were hired a few weeks ago to develop a facilities master plan.)

They were here last Wednesday to Friday. They interviewed every coach and senior staff members. They've been great. They'll be back at us in probably two weeks with the next steps. ... We have to do a practice facility for the basketball teams. Football needs a support facility of some type. After that, there's an array of Olympic sports that need upgrades.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...king_hard_on_Martell_Webster_settlement101912

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom