Gophers Offensive Line; bad news/good news

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
The Bad News: No need to belabor the point any further, the line was a significant weakness throughout the entire season. Absolutely overmatched. However...

The Good News: There's no reason this unit should be anything short of a strength next year and beyond. The Gophers O-Line lacked three critical characteristics this year; Experience, Continuity, and Depth. Next year, they will not be lacking in any of these areas.

Due to injuries an ineffectiveness, at least 10 players saw significant time (if not starting) on the O-Line this year. From this point on, with the help of Tim Davis, we'll see a serious evolution among this unit. Through the additional next 3+ weeks of practice and preparation, offseason conditioning, spring ball, the cream will rise to the top. The addition of Carufel (among others) will only sweeten the pot.

11-13 guys or more at this point in time realize that if they put in the time and work, they can be starting next season. The competition should be fierce!!! It'll actually be interesting to see who starts the bowl game on the line and how different things look between now and then after a month of working with Davis.

Generally speaking, this team should be absolutely frightening next year. With no disrespect to WVS, Hightower, Simmons, et al, the Gophers return almost EVERYBODY from a team this year that showed signs of greatness. Barring significant injury (particularly Weber), there's no reason the Gophers shouldn't competing for the BT title next season. Nobody else in the BT comes CLOSE to returning the starters that MN does and the influx of new talent will only add greater depth.

GO GOPHERS!!!!!

I have been saying the same thing!

Next year our team will suprise a lot of Gopher fans. We will be much better then people expect.

1. O-line - I have said the samething about our O-line also. They WILL be drastically better. Ned was our only guy going into this year who had significant amount of experience on the O-line. We will be much better.

2. RB - We'll also see the difference it will make on offense with RB's who can take it to the house in Lipscomb, Whaley, and the Silent Verbal.

I worry about Van being gone but I think Roof will find other guys who can step up.

Next year we should be very good. I'd be suprised if we didn't win at least 8 games next year.

I think our D will be very good next year. I think though the O only makes it to average. Probably still a year off. But, you know, that might just be good enough. I'm very excited about next year too.

love the enthusiasm but our o-line will still be a weakness next year

the following year is when it all will come together

and of course with lewan and hederson:)

anothe O line possibility in the future?

Since we are talking specifically about the O line, I will repeat this here. Talking about possible dominant type OL - What has happened to Rozelle Gayden. He isn't quite as big as Seantrel for 2010, but if I remember he was 6' 7", very strong, and pretty raw in terms of football experience. He went off to JC (?in California). What has been his progress as a player? Are we still interested in him. I guess he has to finish his two year degree if he was a non-qualifier, but will he be a target for next year?

I gotta hunch the silent verbal was Matt Garin! Everything about the story of his comment and why the verbal was silent (wait until all visits done, ect) were addressed in the article which I believe was either on Rivals or here.

May be wrong, but we will see!

I thought Gayden was a gray shirt to get his grades up!

Anyway, if the Gophers are able to land Lewan to go along with the other commits, it should be a pretty outstanding year along the OL recruit wise, and a pretty good amount of bodies for the new OL coach to work with!

Gayden played junior college football at College of the Sequoias.

Next year our team will suprise a lot of Gopher fans. We will be much better then people expect.

1. O-line - I have said the samething about our O-line also. They WILL be drastically better. Ned was our only guy going into this year who had significant amount of experience on the O-line. We will be much better.

2. RB - We'll also see the difference it will make on offense with RB's who can take it to the house in Lipscomb, Whaley, and the Silent Verbal.

I worry about Van being gone but I think Roof will find other guys who can step up.

Next year we should be very good. I'd be suprised if we didn't win at least 8 games next year.

With how much harder our schedule gets next year I think 7 and 5 or 8 and 4 would show incredible improvement

Top Bottom