Amelia Rayno: First step for eventual practice facility is happening now

Amelia Rayno blog: First step for eventual practice facility is happening now

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/170366086.html

Here’s what’s going on:

A master planning firm is the first step in realizing any new facilities. Since Teague came to Minnesota, he has talked about a master facilities plan on paper to give donors a clear vision of what they want and how they would go about it. “I’ve learned over the years that you really need to get a plan in place,” he said. “If you don’t, you’re going to make mistakes and you’re going to do too many run-offs that don’t make any sense in an overall plan. If you have an overall plan, it’s a lot easier to sell to donors that you have a very well-thought out plan using an outside consultant that does this around the country (and) that does this at other college athletic departments.”

Go Gophers!!

Not sure where I fall on this. On one hand this is much more of a blueprint and planned out approach then we've ever had with the possible facility (e.g. actual specifics on what's going on). But there is still a lot up in the air in terms of what the U actually wants to get done ("overall facilities layout" sounds very broad), and this still sounds like "someday" talk. There doesn't appear to be a whole lot of movement on the fundraising front either.

That said, this is in much better shape already under Teague than it ever was before. Though this doesn't seem to indicate they're anywhere close to even having a plan in place.

Until there's a shovel in the ground it's all just posturing. Wake me up when they're shoveling dirt.

Until there's a shovel in the ground it's all just posturing. Wake me up when they're shoveling dirt.

Yep. Planning has been done before. "We've got a plan and are in the fundraising stage" has been said before. The program needs the school to recognize the importance of funding this, or needs assistance through the generosity of someone from the outside.

@JBBauer612
Hey, look! A #Gophers bball practice facility! A master plan isn't needed - $ is. http://www.staniusjohnson.com/templates/portfolio/sja_designs_new_u_of_m_basketball_practice_facility/

@JBBauer612
May 2012 comments on #Gophers (and #VCU's) bball practice facility possibilities - still relevant. http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/151348?referrer_id=388419

It's all part of the process, call it posturing if you wish. It's a necessary first step.

The 3dx Max images SJA produced wes all flash to get people talking. Most the kids in the College of Design could produce that graphic illustration. They have no shot at a project of this magnitude. Unless a player like Perkins+Will, HOK, CH2M Hill, Stantec or URS, etc. gets hired they aren't serious. Those have to be some of the firms they are considering if they believe the donors are there.

One should note the difference between Maturi and Bruinicks to Kaler and Teague. These guys will get it built. The long-awaited practice facility and the footbal facility are on the fast track. Maturi took 10 years to get a baseball field built and he's gone and its still not open. Those days are gone folks. What I'm still skeptical of is whether this will turn Tubby and/or the University into a destination for any top talent. Well if that doesn't happen at least we won't be able to blame it on facilities.

One should note the difference between Maturi and Bruinicks to Kaler and Teague. These guys will get it built. The long-awaited practice facility and the footbal facility are on the fast track. Maturi took 10 years to get a baseball field built and he's gone and its still not open. Those days are gone folks. What I'm still skeptical of is whether this will turn Tubby and/or the University into a destination for any top talent. Well if that doesn't happen at least we won't be able to blame it on facilities.

What makes you believe Teague is different?

The strength of Teague is raising money.

What makes you believe Teague is different?

Teague is different because his strength is raising money. Reading the article he does not seem concerned about the money to make it happen. He realizes his biggest job is selling the vision to the academic people on campus to enthusiastically support the projects. Without their backing the politics will mire the athletic goals in a maze of holes and speed bumps. Teague is bright enough to patiently do it correctly. I have no doubt he will succeed.

TEague has also taken Sanford around on trips to look at other facilities. I dont think this would be the case unlesss Sanford was already committed to donate a good chunk of money. Remember, this is the billionaire who wants to die broke.

Top Bottom