Sept 21 weekend visitors Foster Ellis Miller

Jon

Reaction score
Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN
Minnesota coaches Tubby Smith and Vince Taylor were in Chicago visiting Alex Foster and Alvin Ellis today. Both visiting this weekend.

PP Press talk to possible Mbakwe replacement
http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...i-can-see-myself-stepping-into-mbakwes-place/

ESPN Alex Foster
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/100743/alex-foster

ESPN Alvin Ellis
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/140137/alvin-ellis

ESPN Tory Miller
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/112723/tory-miller

Foster ( by Chris Monter) 8-6-12

Alex Foster says Gophers One of Two Favorites, Will Set Up Visits Soon
08/06/2012, 7:50am CDT
By Chris Monter

Foster is high on the Gophers and Auburn.

Alex Foster, a 6-foot-7, 219-pound forward from Chicago (IL) Seton Academy, is one of the top players in a loaded Class of 2013 big man from Illinois. Foster is hearing from many schools, including Minnesota, which is one of his favorites. GopherHole.com recently caught up with Foster to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Foster led the DeLaSalle to a 17-7 marl, losing to Bogan in the Class 4A Mount Carmel regional title game 79-63, despite Mean Streets AAU teammate Alvin Ellis, a 6-foot-3 rising senior, finishing with a career-high 42 points.

Foster will play South Holland (IL) Seton Academy this fall.

Gopher Hole: How pleased were you with the way things went in July during the evaluation period?

Alex Foster: It was OK. It could have went better, especially because of the fact that we didn’t get to go to Orlando. I really wanted to go there. We had some things that happened with the coach.

Gopher Hole: You attended the Nike Skills U in Washington D.C. What was that experience like?

Alex Foster: It was pretty cool. It was like how July is with the Peach Jam with all the coaches, only I wasn’t with my team, I was by myself. I was on the Ohio State team (each squad is named after a college program). There was a bunch of kids that I had probably seen before, but I didn’t know any of them on my team. I knew people down there, though. I felt like I did well there and when I got home, I got a few offers from down there from Duquesne and Memphis.

Gopher Hole: It was reported that Minnesota and Auburn were your two top schools. Is that the case?

Alex Foster: I wouldn’t say a top two. Those are two schools that I have the most interest in.

Gopher Hole: When I spoke to you back in April at the EYBL event in Minnesota, you had a top five of Minnesota, Harvard, Tennessee, Wisconsin and Nebraska. Are some of those schools still in the mix or have you moved on past some of them?

Alex Foster: Everyone except Harvard.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about what school you are definitely going to visit?

Alex Foster: I definitely want to visit Minnesota and Memphis. I’ll probably go back down to Tennessee again.

Gopher Hole: Have you set any dates yet for those visits?

Alex Foster: No. I’ll make some plans once school starts.

Gopher Hole: You are transferring from DeLaSalle to Seton Academy. Is that going to be a good move for you?

Alex Foster: The school I am at now is closer, way closer. I am way more familiar with the coach, too. They are both Catholic schools. Seton is 2A. DeLaSalle is 4A, but that doesn’t really make a difference to me. I fell better there, too, because I go there every day in the gym and the coach works with me. It is not that far. It is 20 minutes away from my house. When I was at DeLaSalle. I had to travel 45-50 minutes a day going to school. It is a big load off.

Gopher Hole: Do they have any other players at Seton Academy that are possible Division players?

Alex Foster: Kamal Shasi (a 6-foot senior guard who averaged 11.3 points per game), Johnny Patterson (a 6-foot-5 senior forward) and Mark Weems (a 6-foot-2 senior guard who averaged 14.7 points per game). They were there last year, too. They were part of a team that went downstate. They lost the first game down there

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about when you might decide on a college? Would you sign in the early signing period or have you even thought that far?

Alex Foster: I would probably have a decision by then.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers?

Alex Foster: Minnesota has been after me really hard ever since the middle of my school season.

Gopher Hole: What do you know about Minnesota?

Alex Foster: I know Coach Tubby (Smith) and Coach Vince (Taylor), but other than that, that is as much as I know. I watched them on TV a couple of times.

Gopher Hole: Does that seem like a place that you would like to play?

Alex Foster: Yes, of course.

Gopher Hole: What things have you been really working on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Alex Foster: My confidence. Knowing what I can do and doing it. Keep rebounding, running and going hard every play. Don’t take no plays off.

Gopher Hole: Do you come from a basketball family?

Alex Foster: My brother played basketball, but not in college. He went to Southern Illinois, but he did not play in college. My sister played basketball, but she did not play in college. I am pretty much the one who will end up playing in college.

Gopher Hole: What do you see as your strengths as a player?

Alex Foster: My rebounding. That is what I try to do. I try to play defense. Defense keeps you in the game and wins championships. That is what I think.

Gopher Hole: You are getting looks from Harvard, so obviously, you are a good student. Have you given much thought to a possible college major yet?

Alex Foster: Communications or Sociology.

Gopher Hole: How did you do on the ACT?

Alex Foster: I got a 20. I took it again and have to see how I did.

Gopher Hole: What is your GPA?

Alex Foster: 3.1.

Gopher Hole: What is going to be the main factor that is going to make you pick School A over School B and C?

Alex Foster: Pretty much, will I get better? The education and how the school is. How I feel when I am there? If I have a good feel, then I’ll probably like it.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/168532?referrer_id=331171

Great quotes:

“I just try to be me, and I hope somebody will base their game off me,” he said. “Right now, I can see myself stepping into (Mbakwe’s) place and taking over.”

“Any time you’re being recruited by a head coach like Tubby Smith, that’s something,” Miller said. “I don’t care what kind of season they had. He’s Tubby Smith.”

Go Gophers!!

Miller --From illinoisloyalty.com link at bottom (dated Aug 26, 2011)

"
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-s...sider.espn.go.

Quote:
Strengths:
Miller is a big bodied, post player with a tremendous amount of upside. He does a terrific job of rim running for lay-ups or post up opportunities. In the post, Tory likes to use power moves over his left shoulder to score. He finishes at the rim right now, but...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballre...-Miller-114157

Interest from Creighton, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Missouri State.

Quote:
Big man Tory Miller of the KC Pump 'N Run 16 and unders is in much better shape physically than during the high school season. A lengthy 6-foot-7 insider, he's effective when he commits to attacking the offensive glass.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...sp?CID=1167533

Quote:
David Kravish and Tory Miller, PF/C, Lee's Summit North- Headed into the season, the slender 6-foot-9 Cal signee, Kravish, and burly 6-foot-7 sophomore Miller figured to be the best interior combo in Kansas City. However, they hadn't played together much through the early part of the season. Facing a huge deficit against Topeka (Kan.) Hayden in the second half, LSN finally put the duo on the floor together for an extended time and the result was a big come from behind overtime win. Kravish is a skill guy who can run the floor and commands respect from the perimeter while Miller is a long-armed bruiser on the interior who can step out and make some shots. The duo combined for 25 points, 19 rebound and five blocks while totally controlling the lane.

http://collegescoutingreport.blogspo...mit-north.html

Quote:
#50 Tory Miller C 6’8 (2013) – Tory Miller is a big, physical post player for the Lee’s Summit North Broncos. Tory has good moves on the low post but needs to work on putting moves together. With his big body he can maneuver around smaller high school players; however, at the college level he will need to shore up his offensive game by making more than one offensive move to the basket (he still has plenty of time). Tory does a good job rebounding the ball, and is an intimidating force down low on the defensive end. Tory has good foot work and above average hands.

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/arti...13.php#photo-4

In this June 12, 2011, photo, Tory Miller, of Lees Summit, Mo., ices a sprained ankle as he checks his messages during the Nike Elite 100 basketball camp in St. Louis. Even as it polices the summer circuit, the NCAA is working to rewrite its men's basketball recruiting rules in an effort to reduce the potentially unsavory influences of AAU coaches and event operators. Photo: Tom Gannam / AP

http://illinois.scout.com/a.z?s=169&...2f1099568.html

Quote:
Fighting Illini basketball coaches are continuing to expand their recruiting borders for the class of 2013. They are showing significant interest in power forward Tory Miller from Kansas City. He is coming off a great July and says he has made a connection with one of the Illini assistants about the great KC barbecue debate!
"

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=16270

Elllis (from www.bear-nation.com link at bottom) May 23, 2012

2013 Target - Alvin Ellis 6'5 SF
Discussion in 'Basketball Recruiting' started by CLAWINBALL, May 23, 2012.
CLAWINBALL BEARNATION DONOR
Alvin Ellis - 6'5 185 lbs. Small Forward
De La Salle High - Chicago, Illinois
AAU - Mean Streets
College Interest - MO STATE, Wichita State, Kansas State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin, California

Per Rivals.com.... The 6-foot-5 junior swingman is a strong and a solid athlete. He is one of the most natural scorers in the Midwest. He scores off the bounce, off post ups or with range to 22 feet. Right now, he is too strong for most high school players that guard him and is generally very intense on the offensive end of the floor. Although Ellis is able to overpower kids his age on offense, he needs to do a much better job of using his strength on the defensive end.

The De La Salle (IL) program has two solid big guys for Ellis to feed the ball to in Gavin Schilling and Alex Foster . With so much talent at his high school and in the city of Chicago, Ellis relishes the battles and friendships that he formed.

"It's real cool just having fun and being close with all those guys." Ellis said about his teammates. "It's great playing in Chicago because there is talent everywhere."

Ellis went on to state that he believes that Chicago has the most talented basketball players in the country. It would be hard to argue that statement.

On Tuesday night, the Illinois native picked up offers from La Salle and Minnesota.

Ellis just recently picked up an offer from Bruce Weber and Kansas State. He also holds offers from Wichita State and Northwestern.

Recently Missouri State, Oregon and California have inquired about his services. Although he has plans to visit each school that has offered, Ellis has yet to set definitive dates for the visits.

http://www.bear-nation.com/forum/threads/2013-target-alvin-ellis-65-sf.12015/

PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow
RT @scott_chihoops De La Salle SG Alvin Ellis picked up offer from Butler tonight. Ellis ranks as one of the top 5 prospects in the state

July 17, 2012 Miller
"ShowMePreps.com caught up with Tory Miller to get the latest on his summer and recruitment.

When asked about his AAU season, he replied, “It is going well, but I will not be satisfied until the championship.” He is definitely a strong player and a humble one, admitting that there are
"
http://hsmissouri.scout.com/2/1203092.html

PP (ex-chicago-de-la-salle-teammates-could-bring-versatility-to-the-gophers)
"White said Ellis “loves Tubby,” because the Gophers coach has kept recruiting him heavily even after De La Salle lost fellow Gophers targets Foster and Gavin Schilling, who transferred to Findlay Prep in Las Vegas."

– Foster is expected take an official trip to Auburn on Oct. 5 and Tennessee on Oct. 9, according to GopherIllustrated.com. Ellis received a scholarship offer from Butler on Thursday, but he told the local Rivals.com recruiting site previously he would strongly consider making an oral commitment after his visit with the Gophers.
More at link below
http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...mates-could-bring-versatility-to-the-gophers/

Marcus talked about Ben Moore...

PP (ex-chicago-de-la-salle-teammates-could-bring-versatility-to-the-gophers)
http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...mates-could-bring-versatility-to-the-gophers/

"Brost said the 6'8" Moore is garnering attention because he is a "great all-around player." He has more than a 7-foot wingspan, he's athletic, bouncy, handles the ball very well and has a great feel for the game, he said. Moore is also on the Bolingbrook High School honor roll.

"He is one of the leaders of our team," Brost said. "He is a great example for our younger players both on and off the floor. He is a very humble kid and has taken all this deserved attention in stride. A lot of players would let this type of attention go to their head. This attention makes him work even harder."

"
http://bolingbrook.patch.com/articl...moore-highly-recruited-for-college-basketball
ESPN Profile
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/170660/ben-moore
"The fascinating rise of Bolingbrook's Ben Moore
Posted by Dan O'Brien on September 20, 2012 1:55 PM
Currently, a pair of schools who play in high-major conferences, Northwestern and SMU, have offered Moore. But the likes of Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska and Illinois have shown more than just a courtesy look of late. And it's because of his late development and the high ceiling he possesses. They have become serious players with a lot of it to play out in the coming week. "
http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/GoIllini/20120920_the_fascinating_rise_of_bolingbrooks_ben_moore

Sounds like we are going to get a commitment with one of these kids after this weekend.

GopherHole: Gopher Basketball Recruiting: Illinois Preps, Tory Miller & More
By JB Bauer

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/179247?referrer_id=388419

As mentioned yesterday (Alvin Ellis Looks Like a Good Fit For Minnesota), this weekend Minnesota plans to host two Chicago-area recruits who have had the interest of Tubby Smith and his staff for some time. Alex Foster and Alvin Ellis played together at De La Salle (IL) during the 2011-12 high school season and were teammates again during this spring and summer with the talented Meanstreets AAU program. The Gophers will also host Kansas City-area big man Tory Miller this weekend.

In addition to Foster and Ellis, the Gophers have been involved with a number of others in basketball-rich Illinois. In terms of knowledge and experience within the world of Illinois prep basketball, it's tough to compete with Roy & Harv Schmidt of Illinois Prep Bulls-eye. These gentlemen offer plenty of information at their website ilprepbullseye.com, but were also kind enough to discuss certain players in further detail with me this week.

Alex Foster
Physically, the 6'8" Foster looks the part of a 4 man, but from what Illinois Prep Bulls-eye and I have seen, he hasn't embraced the idea of being a low-post threat even though he has the ability to rebound and score around the basket.

Foster averaged 5.1 points and 3.6 rebounds in 13.6 minutes per game during the EYBL regular season, shooting an impressive 62.0% eFG (only 1 3FGA all season). As I often make known, free throws aren't usually a big concern for me, but he may need a change in method after continuing struggles (converted just 9 of 30 attempts for 30.0%).

Alex has long been considered a player with plenty of potential and even though he hasn't lived up to the early hype that surrounded him, Illnois Prep Bulls-eye believes he is one of those players who could end up being more productive in college than he has been in high school. They think Minnesota is recruiting Foster mainly as a 3 man as that is probably his best college position due to his ability to run the floor and finish in transition, as well as shoot from the perimeter.

In case you missed it: GopherHole contributor Chris Monter talked to Foster several weeks ago and covered a number of topics including Foster's participation in the Nike Skills U camp and his recent transfer to Seton Academy (IL).

Gavin Schilling
Schilling has lived and played all over the map, including international competition with Germany. Roy & Harv Schmidt commented that the 6'9" forward is outstanding on the break, a force on the boards and a terrific shot blocker, but to this point has relied mainly on his world-class athleticism. His offensive game is raw and improvement in this area will be the key to his overall progress.

Gavin is now at Findlay Prep in Nevada and although the school's former coach Mike Peck accepted the head coaching position for the NBDL's Idaho Stampede just last week, the program remains in good hands with assistant Todd Simon being promoted. Being at Findlay will provide a significant focus on skill development and also allow Schilling to play often against elite-level competition.

Under his circumstances, the fact that Schilling is considering waiting until the spring to decide on a school makes sense more than it might for others. Should Minnesota bring in a similar player between now and when Schilling makes his call, it might still make sense for the Gophers to stay in touch. This is a big year for the senior and he may very well raise his stock measurably over the next several months.

EYBL regular season statistics for Schilling (Mac Irvin Fire): 13.0 mpg, 4.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, team-high 37 offensive rebounds in just 247 minutes played, 54.1% FG% (no 3FGA).

In case you missed it: Chris Monter also spoke with Gavin Schilling in April.

Ben Moore
Moore is a long, lanky 6'8" forward from Bolingbrook ("hi" to my friends at the Tilted Kilt on Weber Road) who is receiving a lot of attention after a strong summer. Illinois Prep Bulls-eye had identified him as a diamond in the rough long ago and their projections are proving true. I last saw Moore in Las Vegas in late July with Team Rose where he put an exclamation point on a very good summer showing, but he is continuing to impress the many coaches coming to see him now in open gym play.

"He is a jumping-jack athlete with great instincts on the glass. He is a strong rebounder, has great hands and consistently finishes with authority. In addition, he is a superb interior defender." -- Illinois Prep Bulls-eye

Moore is off to SMU this weekend after rescheduling a visit initially planned for October and now has the attention of a number of high major schools. With his length and athleticism, he's a type of player I greatly enjoy watching and the upside potential is there. The question now is just how good can he be?

Tory Miller (Kansas City, MO)
The big (6'8", 240 pound) power forward hails from Kansas City but is attending school this year at New Hampton Prep (NH). Miller played his summer ball with KC Run GMC and their talented point guard Connor Frankamp, a Kansas commit also in the 2013 class.

An ACL injury as a freshman may have slowed his development some and there is a degree of upside with Miller. Nonetheless, what he could immediately provide to Minnesota is another interior presence that the Gophers are in need of next season. He's a big body, but with the help of a change in diet and hard work, he's been able to get himself into good shape.

From Tubby Smith's perspective, he can certainly offer a great opportunity for Miller to earn early playing time that many other schools can't. That said, I think the Gophers also need to take a long look at certain JUCO players to bring in next year.

A common theme you'll begin to notice if you haven't already is Nebraska's involvement in recruiting kids that the Gophers also have interest in. This is a prime example, but it's tough to examine the recruitment of most any Gopher target without the names of Nebraska head coach Tim Miles and former-Gopher & current Nebraska assistant Ben Johnson coming up. (Huskers also have shown interest in all the other players covered in this article.)

The relationship between Miles and Miller dates far back in time and Nebraska also has a need for a player of Miller's type. The Huskers faithful had dreams of 6'9" Omaha high schooler Akoy Agau giving the program a boost in 2013, but the native of Sudan gave his pledge to Rick Pitino and Louisville this week.

Other Notes

Alex Ellis added an offer from Butler yesterday.

Minnesota was in Illinois and saw Foster, Ellis and Moore this week.

Speaking of Illinois, new head coach John Groce and the Illini may struggle a bit on the court this coming season, but it's not going to last long. Another guard from Meanstreets (and Simeon high school), Kendrick Nunn, committed to Illinois last weekend and there are other impressive talents that may give their pledge in the very near future. While Groce's relationship with Nunn dates back to the head coach's time at Ohio, the new head man in Champaign has hit the ground running.

ESPN has two of these guys at 2 stars and another at 3. It's looking like it going to be impossible to save this recruiting class with a big-time signee. That's going to be two classes in a row with zero impact players. 2012 and 2013 players could all become decent B1G contributors, but it's going to take some serious over-achieving for any of them to become all-conference type player in my opinion. Hopefully the 2014 class saves Tubby and he can land Vaughn and Travis. That would more than make up for the terribly mediocre 2012 and 2013 classes.

Add Tyus to the visitor list: "@Tyusjones06: Gettin ready to head downtown to the U for the gophs prac then the football game tonight.."

Go Gophers!!

There is a lot at stake this weekend at several universities that are hosting key recruits on official visits. From an Illinois-based standpoint, things do not get any bigger than at the University Of Minnesota. That is because the Gophers have two prime targets from the Land Of Lincoln on campus for officials--6'4 2013 2-guard Alvin Ellis from De La Salle Institute in Chicago and 6'7 2013 wing forward Alex Foster who at one time was Ellis' high school teammate at De La Salle before transferring to Seton Academy in South Holland, IL.

Both Minnesota head coach Tubby Smith and assistant coach Vince Taylor have tracked Ellis endlessly over the course of the past year and there is no question that he is their top recruiting priority as far as wings in the 2013 class go. Not only that, but both Smith and Taylor have put in considerable work in the Chicago area since open gyms began this month. Foster is looking to decide from amongst the Gophers, Auburn and Tennessee. If Minnesota were to land both Ellis and Foster it would undoubtedly constitute a recruiting bonanza and make a huge statement with respect to the Gophers recruiting efforts in the Windy City.

http://ilprepbullseye.com/Sept_21-23_Visits.html

Go Gophers!!

Chris Monter Tweets on Miller and Ellis

Chris Monter ‏@collegebbnews
Alvin Ellis is considering trips to Northwestern, Kansas State and Wichita State, according to his father.

Chris Monter ‏@collegebbnews
Tory Miller of Southhampton was expected to visit this weekend, but he will likely sign in the spring and will make a trip later.

http://twitter.com/GophersNow

PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow
Ellis really got along with the #Gophers players, especially Austin Hollins. Tubby beat out Northwestern, Butler and Kansas State.

From Illinois Prep Bulls-Eye

Make no mistake about it--Ellis has been a top-priority recruit for the Gophers in the 2013 class for the better part of the past year. During that entire time, Smith and assistant coach Vince Taylor let it be known to Ellis just how much he was wanted. They tracked him endlessly throughout last season as they took in a number of De La Salle's games. They followed that up by pretty much following Ellis non-stop during both the past Spring and Summer evaluation periods while watching him compete for the talented Meanstreets 17-Under traveling team squad.

Ellis had already built a strong camaraderie with the Gophers coaching staff. That and the fact that he also enjoyed a strong official visit is what definitely enabled Minnesota to come out on top. There is no question that Ellis is a player who can flourish in Smith's system, as it is one that offers lots of freedom and flexibility with respect to allowing wings to operate--both offensively and defensively.

http://ilprepbullseye.com/Ellis_Minnesota.html

Go Gophers!!

Alex Foster Narrows List Down To 3 Schools
Chicago Hoops - Recruiting
Written by Scott Burgess
Sunday, 23 September 2012 12:22

The state’s top senior power forward Alex Foster of Seton Academy took an official visit this past weekend to Minnesota. We caught up with him to see how it went.

“The first day I had dinner with Tubby (Smith) at this restaurant, watched their practice, and got a little tour of campus. Tubby is a great person. I could see myself playing for him. The second day we had breakfast at his house and got to chill, relax, play pool, and talk with him. Then we went to their practice, tailgate, and football game which was amazing. Today we had breakfast again and got to talk about everything.”

He spoke about the Gophers coaching staff.

“They all seem like they are really close with the players and they make sure you are on top of things.”

What else does Foster like about Minnesota?

“Their schedule and how the players love the school like all the people there.”

The Gophers picked up a commitment from Foster’s Meanstreets teammate Alvin Ellis on Sunday. Foster tells me he has two official visits scheduled for October.

“Well I have another visit with Auburn and Tennessee on the 5th and 19th.”

He says he has narrowed his list of schools down to Minnesota, Auburn, and Tennessee.

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/in...ws-list-down-to-3-schools&catid=34:recruiting

Go Gophers!!

Alvin Ellis Talks Minnesota Commitment
Chicago Hoops - Recruiting
Written by Scott Burgess
Sunday, 23 September 2012 11:12

The recruitment of class of 2013 De La Salle shooting guard Alvin Ellis came to an end on Sunday morning as he verbally committed to Minnesota during his official visit. Ellis ranks as one of the top five prospects in the state and is a huge get for the Gophers. The senior shooting guard broke down how he committed.

“I told Coach Tubby (Smith) I could see myself playing there and fitting in. I had a great chance of coming in and playing so I took that opportunity. I would be playing for a coach that’s like a legend.”

Why did he decide to commit Sunday?

“It just felt right.’

Ellis spoke about his relationship with the Gophers coaching staff and Head Coach Tubby Smith.

“Real good relationship. Coach Tubby is very cool and can sometimes be a funny guy.”

Ellis has made great strides over the last two years. As a freshman he was a very raw prospect that had athleticism and tons of upside. Over the last two years he has continued to refine his game and improve his jump shot to the point where it has become his go to weapon. He will bring Minnesota a go to scorer that can get buckets when they are in crunch time.

He chose Minnesota over offers from Northwestern and Butler. Ellis ran this past summer with Meanstreets in the competitive Nike EYBL.

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/in...alks-minnesota-commitment&catid=34:recruiting

Go Gophers!!

PP --ChChicago De La Salle scorer Alvin Ellis picks Gophers (link)

"
“I’m excited about coming in and trying to play, and just the atmosphere of playing in the Barn,” Ellis said Sunday. “I think I can bring scoring, a lot of scoring to the team. I’m also active on defense. I just try to be an all-around player.”
"
http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...de-la-salle-scorer-alvin-ellis-picks-gophers/

(cut and paste or slow connection speeds)

Alvin Ellis, a 6-foot-4, 190-pound senior shooting guard from Chicago (IL) DeLaSalle, committed to Minnesota Sunday morning after making his official visit this weekend. Ellis, who is one of the top players in a loaded Class of 2013 from Illinois, is the first commitment for the Golden Gophers. GopherHole.com caught up with Ellis to learn the latest on his decision.

Ellis led the Meteors to a 17-7 mark last season, losing to Bogan in the Class 4A Mount Carmel regional title game 79-63, despite his finishing with a career-high 42 points.

Ellis will take a bigger role this season as former teammates Gavin Schilling transferred to Findlay Prep and Alex Foster to Seton. Both of those have made official visits to Minnesota. DeLaSalle also will be without Jaylon Tate who transferred to Simeon and Demarcus Richardson, who is now at Curie.

Gopher Hole: What was the main reason you committed to Minnesota?

Alvin Ellis: I just thought that Coach Tubby (Smith) and the coaching staff were the type of coaches that could help me develop as a player and a person.

Gopher Hole: Were you surprised that you committed so early? Your dad had mentioned about visiting Northwestern, Kansas State and Wichita State. Were you even planning on committing so soon or did it just feel right at the right time?

Alvin Ellis: I really didn’t plan on it. It just felt right at the right time.

Gopher Hole: What has the reaction been with your family and friends been since you made the decision?

Alvin Ellis: Everyone has been proud of me. Some people have been shocked and just surprised, but everyone has supported me and they are happy for me.

Gopher Hole: Did you call some of the others schools that were recruiting you like Northwestern, Kansas State and Wichita State to let them know that you had made your decision?

Alvin Ellis: Yes, I have. I talked to those schools and let them know that I had made my decision. They were okay with it because it had to happen sometime.

Gopher Hole: The Gophers are recruiting your former teammates Gavin Schilling and Alex Foster. Have you talked to them since you committed?

Alvin Ellis: No, I haven’t talked to them yet. I might talk to them later on to see how they feel about it, but at the end of the day, it is their decision.

Gopher Hole: Would you try to recruit them a little bit to get them to go with you?

Alvin Ellis: Yes, I would. That would be cool playing with each other again. I know those guys. I might do that.

Gopher Hole: When we talked back in April at the EYBL event, you had high expectations for DeLaSalle with you, Gavin and Alex. Now with Gavin out in Nevada and Alex switching schools, what are the thoughts about the upcoming season?

Alvin Ellis: This season is going to be tough. We are going to need people to step up. We are going to have to see if we can get over the hump.

Gopher Hole: You are going to have to be more of a leader this season. Is that something you are looking forward to?

Alvin Ellis: Yes, that is something that I am looking forward to. I think that I was starting to be the leader last year. That is something that I am looking forward to.

Gopher Hole: Coach Smith said that you reminded him of former Kentucky standout Keith Bogans. Is that something he mentioned to you?

Alvin Ellis: Yes. They had mentioned that to me. I guess that he was a good ball defender and was everywhere on the court and that is what he sees me as.

Gopher Hole: What do you see your role being as a freshman?

Alvin Ellis: I feel that I can be a scorer. A scorer who can dribble. A two who can play the one.

Gopher Hole: What was the highlights of your visit?

Alvin Ellis: The visit went great. I liked the football game a lot. The atmosphere was great.

Gopher Hole: Who was your host?

Alvin Ellis: Andre and Austin Hollins.

Gopher Hole: How was your interaction with your future teammates?

Alvin Ellis: It was really good. They were really cool. I could see myself hanging out with them next year. They were a cool team.

Gopher Hole: Did it make it more special having your parents here with you this weekend?

Alvin Ellis: It didn’t really matter, because I wasn’t really with them a lot

Gopher Hole: Do you feel that you have a little bit of a weight off your shoulders now that you have made your decision and can just concentrate on just improving yourself as a player?

Alvin Ellis: Yes, totally. I just want to finish out my high school career and try to win a state championship.

>>Gopher Hole: Did it make it more special having your parents here with you this weekend?
>>Alvin Ellis: It didn’t really matter, because I wasn’t really with them a lot.

LOL, love the honesty.

Bigten on Alvin. (link)

"He has range to three and can blow by defenders with quick first step and ability to finish in traffic with his bounce and length. He can stop and pop 15-footer or get on the perimeter and “D” you up at the two and three spots. He gives the Gophers an athletic wing to help fill the spot Julian Welch will leave when he graduates this fall.
"

http://bigten.xofan.com/Min/minnesota-golden-gophers-add-windy-city-shooting-guard/

Ben Moore picks up offer from Illinois today and Minnesota on Wednesday

"BHS Forward, Ben Moore picks up an offer from HC John Groce and Illinois today. 2nd Big Ten offer of the day!"
http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/GoIllini/20120926_ben_moore_2013_pf_with_an_illinois_offer

"Class of 2013 Bolingbrook power forward Ben Moore continues to be the hottest prospect in the state. He received an offer from Minnesota early in the day on Wednesday. Then later on that night he picked up another Big 10 offer courtesy of Illinois. Moore spoke about how the offer went down.

“They brought my parents in for a meeting before open gym and offered me.”

Moore was happy with the news of the offer.

“I was very excited with getting an offer from the state school.”

Will he take an official visit soon to Illinois?

“Yes most likely.”

He spoke about what he likes about the Illini.

“Well, I would like to represent the state school and I really like the direction they’re trying to go in with basketball and academics.”

Moore has built a good relationship with the coaching staff.

“Coach Parham has been recruiting me for a very long time so I really liked the way he’s stayed with me. I have a good relationship with Coach Groce and I really like everything he represents at the moment.”
"
http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/in...versity-of-illinois-offer&catid=34:recruiting

PP update link at bottom
18m PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow
Nigel Hayes, Gavin Schilling or Tori Miller would be the prize of Tubby's 2013 class. But the latter 2 appear to be waiting until spring.

24m PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow
Another PF target Alex Foster is visiting Auburn today. He'll visit Tennessee in Nov. And make a decision after that. #Gophers

32m PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow
#Gophers PF target Nigel Hayes visiting Ohio St this week with some pretty big names -- http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/con...03-12-three-official-visits-this-weekend.html

32m PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow
#Gophers PF target Nigel Hayes visiting Ohio St this week with some pretty big names

I saw Nigel retweeted @MnHoops about that this morning, along with many other gopher fans retweets lately. Would think he will be committing somewhere shortly after this visit.

Top Bottom