Verdell Jones knocked out in IU vs. Cornell game

ShowinGoldyLove

Reaction score
Anyone see Verdell Jones get laid out by a pick at half court? He appeared to go unconscious for a few seconds, and now hasn't been able to move for the past 5 minutes. Looked like he snapped his neck into the guy setting the pick while running full bore down the court.

The just brought him out on a stretcher...looks pretty serious. Hope all ends up okay with him...

Yes, I saw it, too. It was a pick at midcourt that would have done Janell McCarville proud. None of Jones's IU teammates warned him. He was moving around a little, but they treated him very cautiously - the full immobilization routine. No doubt the appropriate way to handle it. His head appeared to match up with the Cornell 7'1" guy's shoulder. That's a mismatch. You don't wish that collision on anyone.

Yeah, they milked the heck out of that one. He was fine. He was even moving around and the medical staff was moving him plenty as well.

I remember running into a pick back in the day where I actually busted my nose. As I was down on the floor trying to figure out where I was, all I coud hear was people telling me to get up. Boy times have changed. They treat every injury like it's life threatening.

Yeah, they don't make 'em like old Guts & Glory Vandelay anymore

Damn pussies. Who cares what lessons have been learned by the medical establishment over the years-stretcher? immobilization? precautions??? Why, in Vandelay's incident, that tough S.O.B. broke his nose and I bet he refused to come out of the game, probably even busted a couple noses himself after that! Those were the good old days!

No one should every drink water under any circumstances, especially if you have already passed out twice on a 90 degree day!

I remember running into a pick back in the day where I actually busted my nose. As I was down on the floor trying to figure out where I was, all I coud hear was people telling me to get up. Boy times have changed. They treat every injury like it's life threatening.
This answers a lot of questions about Art.

Upon further thought

Having been treated to Art's sunny optimism for the past few years on this board, is it any surprise that none of his teammates called out the pick and then showed little sympathy for him when he was hurt by imploring him to get up?

I'm not going to drink water for the next three days so I can toughen up. I may indulge in a little fine Tennessee whisky, though.

Heads up to Jamaiche

Real men prefer bourbon which can only come from Kentucky.

I Should Learn to Trust My memory

My mistake. You are correct. Water is overrated anyway.

As I reached for the bottle of Jack Daniels in my cabinet when I got home from work I saw that the label read Tennessee Whiskey. JD is as good as it gets at the end of a challenging day. Fine Tennessee whiskey works for me.

JD is good enough in a pinch but try Makers Mark or better yet Elmer T Lee. You'll never go back to Old # 7.

Real men drink Wild Turkey.

Straight up.

Call out picks

Yes, I saw it, too. It was a pick at midcourt that would have done Janell McCarville proud. None of Jones's IU teammates warned him. He was moving around a little, but they treated him very cautiously - the full immobilization routine. No doubt the appropriate way to handle it. His head appeared to match up with the Cornell 7'1" guy's shoulder. That's a mismatch. You don't wish that collision on anyone.

When I saw the replay, I thought to myself "I hadn't seen a pick like that since Janell knocked out that guard from UVa in the NCAA tourney in 2005". I blame that on Verdell's teammates, just like I blamed UVa for the injury in 2005.

Top Bottom