Minnesota Tops WCHA Recruiting Trail

BleedGopher

Reaction score
The clear winner this year has to be Minnesota, which, as usual, tapped right into the home-state pipeline. Don Lucia and his staff did a great service in replacing a class of stellar seniors, which was headlined by goaltender Kent Patterson, forward Jake Hansen, and captain Taylor Matson.

Addressing their needs as any program should, they bring in blue-chip goaltender Adam Wilcox (6th Round, Tampa Bay, 2011), who played two seasons in the USHL, and was born in South St. Paul. Wilcox is an aggressive goaltender who likes to challenge in the paint and can handle the puck well, and the Gophers' sharp skaters will take that talent and run with it. Wilcox is the kind of guy you can rely on night in and night out, and that’s exactly the fit the Gophers need in net.

On the other side of the ice, three Minnesota-bred forwards are poised to make an impact right off the hop. Plymouth native Christian Horn, from state champion Benilde St. Margaret’s, will help add some offensive firepower. Alongside Horn, the Reilly brothers, who all laced up for the Penticton Vees (BCHL), will be joining the Gophers. Ryan and Connor are twins, both forwards, while younger brother Mike is an offensive mastermind from the blue line. All three put up well over a point per game in the BCHL, with what would end up being a record-breaking Penticton Vees squad. Not to ignore Brady Skjei, whose two-way play, stellar skating, and defensive prowess have blessed the USNTDP the past two seasons. The first-round pick (Rangers) should be noticeable immediately as a freshman.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2012/09/12_preview_minnesota_tops_wcha.php

Go Gophers!!

Really looking forward to the Gopher puck season (especially with no worries of a lockout :))

Wilcox is a stud, I hope he stays for four years at the U, although I doubt he will last long when the NHL comes calling. I remember him playing in HS and I see him being a multi year starter and a real shutdown goalie for us.

Wilcox is a stud, I hope he stays for four years at the U, although I doubt he will last long when the NHL comes calling. I remember him playing in HS and I see him being a multi year starter and a real shutdown goalie for us.

It is really rare for a college goalie to go pro early. The NHL isn't exactly dominated by American goalies, and there's not a whole lot of demand for them.

I hope he's the second coming of Stauber, because if he's as good as you're saying he is, we should be a lock for the Championship. Honestly, if either he or Shibrowski turn out to be passable, we should still have a great team.

It is really rare for a college goalie to go pro early. The NHL isn't exactly dominated by American goalies, and there's not a whole lot of demand for them.

I hope he's the second coming of Stauber, because if he's as good as you're saying he is, we should be a lock for the Championship. Honestly, if either he or Shibrowski turn out to be passable, we should still have a great team.

I remember him saving something like 40 shots vs big bad STA back in a section game a few years ago, and I couldn't help think what this guy could do with a competent defense in front of him. I think he's the real deal.

Top Bottom