Jahil Okafor & Tyus

MinnesotaNice

Reaction score
Jahil Okafor is starting to blog for USA Today high school. Check it out below. He mentions that he and Tyus are very serious about playing together. Calls Tyus his best friend and says he talks to Izzo a lot. What are the chances of getting him on campus? Hopefully Tyus's parents have more pull on his collegiate decision than his best friend does. Either way, Izzo is doing work right now and MN in my opinion is not leading this race. Lots of time though!

http://www.freep.com/article/201209...ssey=tab|topnews|text|Michigan State Spartans

That's the understatement of the week so far. Gophs are nowhere near the top of his list at this point.

Good to know. Precisely where are the Gophers on his list? Also, where exactly are we on EC Matthews and Nigel Haye's lists? Would be nice to get some solid commitments in the 2013 class. Always nice to have an expert on the board with some inside info.

Do yourself a favor and write Tyus off. He's not coming here. His friendship with Okafor only makes it even more unlikely. We don't have any young, connected assistants to pull off those types of recruiting coups like Kansas St

yea we only have a sliver of hope if tubby offers okafor. but he will not so mark my words tyus has 0 legit interest in representing his home.. we will be just fine if we get travis and vaughn though,, guys who will both be on the 5 star border.. and the class below them could be just as good as well,

Good to know. Precisely where are the Gophers on his list? Also, where exactly are we on EC Matthews and Nigel Haye's lists? Would be nice to get some solid commitments in the 2013 class. Always nice to have an expert on the board with some inside info.

Does Matthews even have an offer from Tubby? He's planning a visit but does he technically have an offer?

Hayes will be tough to pull away from OSU, Becky, or even Stanford. Tubby has his wrok cut out for him.

Wow. I am new to this site, but it's easy to figure out who the tools are. All we can do with Tyus is infer from what the press says. Nobody knows what is really in his head, and his commitment is still years away. A lot can change. Maybe Okafor will hit on his girlfriend or something. With that said, I would be plenty happy with landing Vaughn and Travis. I hope they come in with a chip on their shoulder being overshadowed a bit by Tyus mania.

yea we only have a sliver of hope if tubby offers okafor.

Tubby offered Okafor a while ago.

We don't have any young, connected assistants to pull off those types of recruiting coups like Kansas St

Yes, Kansas State, the gold standard of college basketball recruiting. :rolleyes:

MinnesotaNice;570946[B said:
Wow. I am new to this site[/B], but it's easy to figure out who the tools are. All we can do with Tyus is infer from what the press says. Nobody knows what is really in his head, and his commitment is still years away. A lot can change. Maybe Okafor will hit on his girlfriend or something. With that said, I would be plenty happy with landing Vaughn and Travis. I hope they come in with a chip on their shoulder being overshadowed a bit by Tyus mania.

And you've already got the student section trying to get rid of you.:cool02:

Pioneer Press Tweet:
Calipari. Nuff said. RT @DarrenWolfson Spent time w/ Tyus. Him & Vaughn have talked about being a package. But Okafor package trumps all.

Tubby offered Okafor a while ago.

Yes, Kansas State, the gold standard of college basketball recruiting. :rolleyes:

I love when people inadvertantly prove a point while trying to sarcastically knock it. Let me spell it out for you

Minnesota is not an elite name in CBB
Non elite programs rarely get elite recruits, especially from out of state
Kansas State is a non elite program
Kansas State has gotten elite, out of state recruits
Kansas State was able to get guys like Beasely, Bill Walker and Wally Judge due to having a dynamite young recruiter on staff with connections
Minnesota lacks that type of coaching staff
Thus Minnesota won't be able to get national elite recruits like KSU did

Understand now?

Pioneer Press Tweet:
Calipari. Nuff said. RT @DarrenWolfson Spent time w/ Tyus. Him & Vaughn have talked about being a package. But Okafor package trumps all.

IF Vaughn and Tyus would be a package deal, it would most likely be at Minnesota.

If Tyus and Okafor are going to be a package deal we are at least in their top 5 or 6 because only 5 or 6 schools have offered them both. At the moment I'll take that. The Badger eerrrrrr Gopher fans that are pulling for Tyus to go out of state are getting really annoying.

If Tyus and Okafor are going to be a package deal we are at least in their top 5 or 6 because only 5 or 6 schools have offered them both. At the moment I'll take that. The Badger eerrrrrr Gopher fans that are pulling for Tyus to go out of state are getting really annoying.

+1

Everyone seems to think they know something about Tyus that Tyus himself doesn't even know. It's pretty interesting.

I love when people inadvertantly prove a point while trying to sarcastically knock it. Let me spell it out for you

Minnesota is not an elite name in CBB
Non elite programs rarely get elite recruits, especially from out of state
Kansas State is a non elite program
Kansas State has gotten elite, out of state recruits
Kansas State was able to get guys like Beasely, Bill Walker and Wally Judge due to having a dynamite young recruiter on staff with connections
Minnesota lacks that type of coaching staff
Thus Minnesota won't be able to get national elite recruits like KSU did

Understand now?

You're touting their ability to land Wally Judge? C'mon now. If you're going to use K-State as an example, you should at least stick to good players.

Ultimately getting 5-stars is very difficult anywhere except the blue blood programs. If they're in-state guys, the best in-state school will have a good chance at them, but the longer the recruitment goes without a verbal the less likely they are to stay in-state. It's nearly impossible to get 5-star recruits from long distances without cheating (unless you're like UNC or Duke), and those type of players are quite rare in any given area/AAU program anyway, so I wouldn't worry about trying to set up a "connection" to try to get those guys. The reality is guys like Okafor and Jones are great recruits, but you don't build programs with them, you expect to have them for just one year and hope they can put you over the top in the national title hunt. If you're not a program that typically competes for deep tournament runs, then I think they probably aren't going to seriously consider you. They don't want to play more than 1 year, they want to be in the best position to win an NC in their one year.

Most programs, the best you can hope for is a coach who is able to go out and get about 2/3 of the high quality in-state players, and then go out and find 4-stars from other states that aren't highly sought after by the blue bloods but will be great college players.

One & done stars like Jones and Okafor can provide a big boost & a banner year in the short term, but it doesn't last. Good 4-star players won't provide as big a boost their first year but have more staying power and help make building a great program a lot easier. I don't think there should be any hand-wringing by anybody from any school that's going after them if they don't get these two considering they're most likely 1 & done. There's only two of them, there will be a lot of schools that recruited them that don't get them - that's why you've got to cast a wide net with recruiting and have multiple good options.

So if Tubby dumps Jirsa and hires a young, energetic assistant that has access to a whole bunch of money, we can get Tyus and Okafor to come here for one year before they turn pro??

Awesome - count me in!! :rolleyes:

Hiring a young energetic assistant will help build this program 4-5 years out. It won't do much to help for current recruits. I have said it before - the groundwork to get 4-5 star recruits needed to happen when tubby got here and it quite simply didnt happen. Tubby Smith is like Bob Dylan - he fooled the world.

This thread is insane. How many of you believe we can land both of them not to mention even one of them?

Hiring a young energetic assistant will help build this program 4-5 years out. It won't do much to help for current recruits. I have said it before - the groundwork to get 4-5 star recruits needed to happen when tubby got here and it quite simply didnt happen. Tubby Smith is like Bob Dylan - he fooled the world.

When Badger Maturi got involved with the Jimmy Williams hiring was the moment Tubby's recruiting capabilities went down the tubes.

Top Bottom