Updated B1G Nonconference Schedule Rankings

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Will post the game-by-game NC sked breakdowns of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan State, the Gophers and Ohio State (their complete NC skeds have all been released) on the NC Sked Thread later this week, but for now I've figured out the avarage RPI ratings for those schools. Among B1G schools Gophers' schedule looking stronger & stronger by the minute.

Quick observations? (1) Even Tom Izzo toned it down quite a bit, (2) what an embarrassingly weenie NC schedule Tom Crean is playing, and (3) this is the rare year where a legitimate argument could be made that the Gophers will end playing a tougher nonconference schedule than Sparty.

Only Michigan and Purdue have yet to complete their nonconference schedules, and neither one is likely to surpass the Gophers in terms of average RPI of opponents.

B1G NC Sked Average RPI Rankings (10 complete)
1. Wisconsin (130.636)
2. Gophers (136.909)
3. Ohio State (154.09)
4. Michigan State (162.333)
5. Penn State (183.3)
6. Illinois (185.416)
7. Nebraska (188.09)
8. Northwestern (190.75)
9. Indiana (211.25)
10. Iowa (234.333)

Purdue released their NC schedule a few weeks ago.

Oct 30: Montevallo - Mackey Arena (exhibition)
Nov. 3: Newberry - Mackey Arena (exhibition)
Nov. 9: Bucknell - Mackey Arena (2K Sports Classic)
Nov. 11: Hofstra - Mackey Arena (2K Sports Classic)

Nov. 15: Villanova - Madison Square Garden, New York City (2K Sports Classic)
Nov. 16: Alabama/Oregon State - Madison Square Garden, New York City (2K Sports Classic)
Nov. 21: North Carolina-Wilmington - Mackey Arena
Nov. 28: at Clemson - Clemson, S.C. (ACC/Big Ten Challenge)
Dec. 1: Xavier - Mackey Arena
Dec. 4: Lamar - Mackey Arena
Dec. 8: at Eastern Michigan - Ypsilanti, Mich.
Dec. 15: Notre Dame - Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Indianapolis (Crossroads Classic)
Dec. 18: Ball State - Mackey Arena
Dec. 29: William & Mary - Mackey Arena
Jan. 19: West Virginia - Mackey Arena

I was able to dig up Purdue's 2 opponents that were TBA for the 2K Sports Classic (Bucknell and Hostra)

SelectionSunday, I really admire your work on here. Don't take anything I'm about to write as a criticism of you.

Indiana's schedule is a great example of what is wrong with normal SOS calculations. A team like Indiana is going to beat the RPI 150 team 980 times out of 1000. They'd beat the RPI 300 team 995 times out of 1000. one team makes their average pretty good, one makes it dreadful.

Indiana has Butler, UNC, and UCLA or Georgetown. Ohio State has Kansas, Duke, Marquette, and Seton Hall or Washington. All the other teams on both schedules really ought to be wins. OSU's good games are better but not substantially. Minnesota's tough games are Duke, Florida State, Memphis or VCU, and potentially Mizzou/Stanford/Louisville. That doesn't seem to be a significant difference.

This is why I really like the tournament resume breakdowns that are set up in groups. W-L vs Top 50, Top 100, Top 150. Who cares what happens after that.

No offense taken, and I agree.

That's why when it gets down to the nitty gritty of selecting the final few at-larges I look at their record vs. the top 50, record vs. the top 100 (and where those wins took place. ... home, road, neutral court) & their SOS, with a particular emphasis on trying to pinpoint really weak nonconference schedules among the bubble teams. Recently the Selection Committee has made it pretty clear they frown upon weak nonconference schedules.

However, I still think Indiana's NC schedule stinks, especially relative to the expectations being heeped upon the Hoosiers.

That's why they need to cut Division 1 in half and make a 1-AA or something.

Top Bottom