One thing we can all hang our hats on (or not):

cncmin

Reaction score
The Gophers won TWENTY-TWO games this year (thus far). While that's not much better than last year, most didn't expect them to be much better, considering they lost arguably their 3 top players from last year. So, they improved in record and in RPI, which wasn't exactly a gimme coming into the season.

The Gophers did all this while shooting arguably the worst of any Gophers team I have ever seen. I could argue that the Humphries-bogged-down team was a worse shooting team, maybe. I can't believe that they basically shot about 20% from 3 land over the last 10-15 games. I can't believe that they couldn't hit a jump shot, whether open or not. If Hoff doesn't get hot against OSU, and if Joseph doesn't get hot against PSU, were the Gophers better than 20% from 3 for the whole Big Ten season?

Sure, it's disappointing, but just think how good this team could be if they could shoot. Does anyone believe that Hoff will continue to be this poor next year? Or that Joseph won't improve? Or that Bostick won't improve? Or that Sampson or Iverson won't improve? With a better inside game, the outside should also open up. And while that McKenzie/Hoff 3-point combo from last year looks awfully nice right now, imagine this team with McKenzie and Tollackson on it; two guys that at least knew how to put the ball in the hoop when they got it.

If the Gophers shoot this poorly again next year, I'll be completely amazed. The fact is, they were about one or two hot shooters away from 25+ wins this year. I have to believe someone will step up from outside next year, probably Hoff and/or Joseph or Cobb. Or possibly Allen (?)...

The Gophers could be dangerous next year...we'd have to expect top-25, right?

As for the rest of this year, the way the Gophers are playing now, they won't win more than 1 game in the Tourney, assuming they make it. But, if they just starting shooting like a normal team, there's no reason why they can't make a decent run. One can hope...

I know this will not be popular, but I really believe that Hoff has maxed out. My kids played against him several times and I have watched him for 2 years as a Gopher. He is unbelievably skilled and has a great mind for the game. But he is an average D1 athlete. If we get a couple of players who can create for themselves, Hoff's talent will be maximized by being the spot up shooter. But don't expect much more.

If Tubby plays Bostick regularly, like he did the last 2 days, Bostick will be a 15 pts/gm player. He can create his own shot and will only get better with more confidence (which will lead to less rush shots too)

Joseph has the talent and athleticism to be a top flight BT guard. And I personally think that Sampson will be in the McHale/Thompson/Brewer category before he is done. I have never seen a freshman exhibit the timing that he has shown blocking shots. A little stronger and he will finish like the best big man in the BT.

PS - My kids also played against Trevor. He is the anti-Hoff. A stud athlete with a mediocre skill set (unless he has improved a ton this year). But he will crash the boards like crazy, play crazy intense defense and be good for 3/4 dunks per game. But don't expect him to be a scorer.

My kids played against him several times and I have watched him for 2 years as a Gopher. He is unbelievably skilled and has a great mind for the game. But he is an average D1 athlete.
People didn't know how much he could improve over last summer either, saying he would only be a spot up shooter for his 4 years with the Gophers.

Yet, most would agree that he's really improved his all-around game from where it was last year (especially his defense and passing). Also, put an "average D1 athlete" with a "great mind for the game" and you'll have a kid that can contribute, no matter what team he plays for.

I just think it's too early to write off a kid before he's completed his sophomore season (Nolen included).

Nolen has also had a tough year, yet with his quickness, it's too early to write him off. He can defend, and has simply lost the confidence in his shot. He works on his ball handling when driving right, decision making (comes with experience), and gets his shot back to where it was, he'll be just fine as well.

There's definitely something called the "sophomore slump," whether it be sports, entertainment, etc. Best part? They become juniors.

P.S. On a side note; your kids played against both Hoff and Mbakwe? Who are your kids, and where did they end up? That's some pretty good company?

IMHO hoff could be an all big ten guard or at least he will be a travis busch like player, and that would speak to the talent level of this team his senior year. I still trust him with the ball more than LW, his a much better all around player than last year and that helps the gophers more than losing a man he's guarding and standing at the 3 point line and hoping no one sees him. That said Bostick impressed me with his poise. I rather he get LW's minute

Yet, most would agree that he's really improved his all-around game from where it was last year (especially his defense and passing). Also, put an "average D1 athlete" with a "great mind for the game" and you'll have a kid that can contribute, no matter what team he plays for.

I just think it's too early to write off a kid before he's completed his sophomore season (Nolen included).

Please don't misunderstand. I am NOT writing him off. I think Hoff can certainly contribute. But some of the comments regarding All Big Ten and leading us in scoring - well I feel those are a huge stretch based on his athleticism.

IMHO hoff could be an all big ten guard or at least he will be a travis busch like player, and that would speak to the talent level of this team his senior year. I still trust him with the ball more than LW, his a much better all around player than last year and that helps the gophers more than losing a man he's guarding and standing at the 3 point line and hoping no one sees him. That said Bostick impressed me with his poise. I rather he get LW's minute

I frankly wish westbrook would never put the ball on the floor. That's where all his TO's come from. I think I trust williams with the ball more:p

Does anyone believe that Hoff will continue to be this poor next year?

I do. I see nothing that would indicate he won't be.

I still trust him with the ball more than LW

Hoff does NOTHING when he has the ball. He has no shot and he can't drive. He is about as usefull as KP. No risk No reward.

I frankly wish westbrook would never put the ball on the floor. That's where all his TO's come from. I think I trust williams with the ball more

Thank God your not the coach. Westbrook is the ONLY guy on the team willing to drive to the basket. If not for LW we would be 0-2 vs Bucky instead of 2-0. And because Blake NEVER puts the ball on the floor he has way fewer turnovers and I might add way fewer points.

I do. I see nothing that would indicate he won't be.

Hoff does NOTHING when he has the ball. He has no shot and he can't drive. He is about as usefull as KP. No risk No reward.

Thank God your not the coach. Westbrook is the ONLY guy on the team willing to drive to the basket. If not for LW we would be 0-2 vs Bucky instead of 2-0. And because Blake NEVER puts the ball on the floor he has way fewer turnovers and I might add way fewer points.

You act like Hoff is the second coming of Miles Tarver - a guy who should hardly ever have played. Clem thought Tarver was ok, as evidenced by his minutes, and Tubby obviously likes Hoffarber on the court. I agree with Tubby. Hoff's biggest problem right now is he's scared to shoot. There are a lot of guys on other teams who don't drive the basketball who contribute in nice ways. Just really quickly, Bohannon and Diebler are two of those. Meacham doesn't drive much, he does fine.

If I remember right, I'm pretty sure bostick had a good game driving against Bucky in the first game. Please correct me if I'm wrong. How many times has westbrook drove with the game on the line, other than those two games, and done something stupid like turn it over or get trapped? I would say many times. Michigan game is a good example. Yesterday's game is a good example, except for that miraculous drive at the end with 4 secs left and nobody playing defense! Haha don't get me wrong he's one of the only shooters on our team and we would be in a crappy situation without him, but my blood pressure would be a little lower if he didn't try to "create" so much when really, he's not that good at it.

Top Bottom