ESPN Take Two: Time for a 24-second shot clock?

I, for one, look forward to Wisconsin averaging a whopping 7 possessions per game if this were to happen.

Lets split the difference and go to 30 seconds. High School basketball needs a shot clock badly.

The NBA has some things right, but in this particular instance I see no need to mimic the NBA shot clock.

The NBA has some things right, but in this particular instance I see no need to mimic the NBA shot clock.

+19

One of the great things about college BB is in the contrasting play/coaching style of opposing teams.

The NBA bores me to death.

Lets split the difference and go to 30 seconds. High School basketball needs a shot clock badly.

I concur with this. I think 30 is a good compromise. 24 is a tad quick with college more heavily reliant on set offense than the pro game.

I like the ESPN poll options, either go back to 45, stay at 35 or go 24 lol. No option to compromise a shorter time in the middle. And predictably, only 4% chose the 45s option while the other two are dead split, I don't know many who would want to go 45 on a shot clock.

I attend a lot of HS basketball games. I'd love to see a shot clock - but I don't expect to see it anytime soon.

Two big problems - 1st is the cost of the equipment, and 2nd is the need to find a qualified person to run the shot clock. If you get some yahoo who doesn't know the rules, you'd spend most of the game huddled at the scorers table trying to figure out if the shot clock was reset properly.

I thought High Schools had a sort of shot clock:

1. Bring ball up floor;
2. Make a pass or two;
3. Some yayhoo guns one from somewhere.

I thought High Schools had a sort of shot clock:

1. Bring ball up floor;
2. Make a pass or two;
3. Some yayhoo guns one from somewhere.

Haha that yayhoo would've been pulled at the next dead ball on my high school team.

The women already have a 30 second clock, I think it speeds the game up nicely.

The women already have a 30 second clock, I think it speeds the game up nicely.

The question is do you want better offense or higher scoring games?

You might get more points with a 24 second shot clock, but the product on the floor will be worse.

I'm for sticking with 35 seconds, I for one love the current state of college basketball.

Keep it as is.

The game isn't broken - it's just that some teams are (i.e., Becky).

game is good leave it alone. Never will see a high-school shot clock some teams need more time to generate a good shot. A diversity of coaching styles including slowing things up to compensate for different talent levels makes the game interesting.

Never will see a high-school shot clock some teams need more time to generate a good shot. A diversity of coaching styles including slowing things up to compensate for different talent levels makes the game interesting.

There are currently a number of states with shot clocks for high school games.

Oof. Could you imagine a Longwood vs. NJIT game with a 24-second clock? Brutal.

I go to a lot of HS basketball games too, and I am vehemently opposed to a shot clock.

Top Bottom