Shooter: T. Denny Sanford could be corporate sponsor for new hoops practice facility

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Pssst: New Gophers athletics director Norwood Teague could make his first big splash at Minnesota by getting St. Paul Central and University of Minnesota graduate and billionaire T. Denny Sanford and his Sanford Health firm to be corporate sponsor for a private Gophers basketball practice facility.

A little birdie says Teague and Sanford flew to Lincoln to peruse the University of Nebraska's new basketball facilities the other day.

Sanford, who three years ago gave the Gophers $6 million for their Athletics Hall of Fame at TCF Bank Stadium, initially wanted to be the corporate sponsor of the Gophers football stadium, but the deal fell through under then-president Bob Bruininks.

Sanford has said he wants to die broke. His alma mater is willing to help him do that.

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_21421445/charley-walters-target-field-all-star-tickets-wont

Go Gophers!!

Follow up tweet from Doogie:

"Not only has Teague spent time with T. Denny Sanford, he's also bonded with the Hubbards. He's no dummy, @GopherHole. #gophers"

Go Gophers!!

Sanford has said he wants to die broke. His alma mater is willing to help him do that.

Look at that, making an old man's wishes come true.

But seriously though, I'd be willing to chip in to help him see that goal come to fruition.

Sanford Health just broke ground for a new $540 million medical facility in Fargo a couple of weeks ago. T. Denny could really afford to help the Gopher BB Practice facility come to fruition.

A look into the future:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAsNy6wkH4c

Go Gophers!!!

Did Maturi just not realize this guy existed?

I'm guessing Maturi felt that all the donors deserved his equal amount of attention, and that just because they could bring in the most revenue, didn't mean he should spend more of his time and resources with those individuals.

I'm guessing Maturi felt that all the donors deserved his equal amount of attention, and that just because they could bring in the most revenue, didn't mean he should spend more of his time and resources with those individuals.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Classic:clap:

Did Maturi just not realize this guy existed?

do I remember right or did we turn down Sanford, not thinking he had the $$$ or too many stipulations? So instead we took less from TCF. Denny then being spurned by the U of M, donates hundreds of millions and "renamed" the U of South Dakota school of medicine after himself and starts Sanford health with more millions and now is spreading more $$ all over. Sounds like the U or Maturi really screwed up back then. Hopefully, this will get the U back in his financial plan.

do I remember right or did we turn down Sanford, not thinking he had the $$$ or too many stipulations? So instead we took less from TCF. Denny then being spurned by the U of M, donates hundreds of millions and "renamed" the U of South Dakota school of medicine after himself and starts Sanford health with more millions and now is spreading more $$ all over. Sounds like the U or Maturi really screwed up back then. Hopefully, this will get the U back in his financial plan.

If true, :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

True. I met him and spent some time with him down at the Masters a number of years ago. He was staying at a house across the street from us with Tom Lehman's brother, and another guy I know. Unbelievably nice guy. Didn't even know it was him until about an hour of talking with him and then someone told me.

Stipulations was the word that circulated back in the day. Supposedly he wanted some significant design decisions and power that went well beyond what the U was comfortable giving away, especially since his donation (while significant) wasn't funding anything close to a majority of the project.

per Shooter:

Gophers athletics director Norwood Teague was encouraged after recently returning from the University of Nebraska with philanthropist billionaire-Minnesota grad T. Denny Sanford. The pair toured the Cornhuskers' basketball and football facilities.

"It was enlightening," Teague said. "We're progressing. We've got to get some conceptual designs done for both."

Teague plans to bring in a consultant, probably within the next 10 days. He said Tuesday that most basketball practice facilities cost between $15 million and $25 million.

"Football depends on what you put in it. I've seen some at $20 million, some at $75 million," he said.

Funds would have to be raised privately. Teague said it's realistic to consider both and that Sanford plans to help financially.

Teague and Sanford chose Nebraska to peruse because of proximity, the fact that it's a member of the Big Ten and is improving its basketball and football facilities.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21468949/mularkey-has-concordia-roots

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom