Bold Predictions

t-docious

MAKE GOPHERS GREAT AGAIN!
Reaction score
curious to hear peoples bold predictions for this years team.

I think the team will make another frozen four run. Lot of returners but the loss of Patterson is huge. Sounds like we have a pretty good class coming in as well.

thoughts?

We struggle in the early games when Bjugstand plays linebacker and tight end for the football team and misses some hockey games while he takes them to Pasadena. Then, with Nick back in the lineup, we repeat for the Macnaughton Cup and win an NCAA title.

All kidding aside, I think we contend for a conference as well as a national title. Excited for the year to start.

Assuming either Wilcox or Shibrowski is a suitable replacement for Kent, I see no reason why we shouldn't be the favorites to win the NCAA title. We'll have tons of firepower on offense, and the incoming freshmen should help shore up the defense as well. I've heard nothing but great things about Skjei, and the Reilly boys should be interesting if they can bulk up.

It really all hinges on goaltending for me.

Agreed that it comes down to goaltending. We will have the fire power on offense and a very tough D. Anything less than a Frozen Four but once we are there we will have to ride a hot net minder.

Hard to disagree with anyone's comments here...I also wistfully hope for a Bjugstad-led Rose Bowl squad, but I'd settle for a visit to Pittsburgh in April following a triumphant exit from the WCHA. Do we have the goaltending assets to repeat the MacNaughton feat and take home a Broadmoor?

Who will challenge for supremacy? UND just seems to find a rhythm mid-season that gives them momentum in the Final Five. Denver has proven they are not to be ignored, and you gotta think UMD will be right there at the end.

Wishful thinking: MacNaughton, Broadmoor, NCAA Title, ending Michigan's season with a loss, after we end UND's season in the semi-final, after we end Bucky's season in the regional final, after we open the NCAA with a 10-0 pasting of Holy Cross.

Go Gophers!

and you gotta think UMD will be right there at the end.

I don't know, I think the loss of Connolly will hit them a bit harder than people are expecting. Not only was he a great player, but it seemed like he really held the team together too. I think they'll be decent, but nothing like they were the past few years.

There's enough talent on the team to get home ice in the WCHA first round, regardless of the goaltending.

Decent goaltending will get us to the final five, and into the NCAA tourney.
Above average goaltending will get us some conference hardware (McNaughton and/or Broadmoor).
Excellent goaltending will get us to the Frozen Four.

Top Bottom