Will Fate of 2012-13 Gophers Be Decided Before December?

Reaction score
Last year Minnesota was 12-1 to start off the season, but it meant very little. This year the outcome of nonconference games should carry a lot more weight.

I'm trying to sort through my thoughts and I have some 'feel', but would be interested in the thoughts of others on this. Also curious if anyone (SS?) can provide insight from a historical standpoint.

Over the six days beginning Thanksgiving day and through the following Tuesday, the Gophers will play four games away from home (Duke, TBD, TBD, @Fla St). Three will be neutral site games in the Bahamas, but it's possible Minnesota will be the underdog in all four games. Best case scenario, Minnesota is the underdog against Duke to start off play on Paradise Island and then is a small favorite in the next three games.

No matter who the two unknown opponents turn out to be, this year's nonconference schedule will be far tougher than a year ago. It's unique to have four challenging games within six days time and I'm trying to figure out how much it means to the season.

Let's assume that the Gophers are going to finish 9-9 in the Big Ten. I think if they win 3 or 4 of the Gauntlet Games, they're golden. Even splitting the 4 games, I think Minnesota is fine.

In early December there are a couple of teams that will put up a good fight (including @USC), but if Minnesota finishes the nonconference at say 10-3 or better they're probably in good position for a tourney invite. It'll depend on other variables, including who the Gophers beat in the Big Ten, but do you think the 19-12 (9-9) is good enough to feel at least decent about dancing this year?

If Minnesota loses 3 of 4, it's still not the end of the world (again, still assuming a 9-9 mark in conference). The margin for error against the rest of the schedule is reduced, but let's say the lose one more... at 18-13 (9-9), the resume may not look all that bad with an impressive win or two in conference. Agree?

If the Gophers lose all 4 and have signed a weak recruiting class two weeks prior to the losing streak, the legacy-saver clause in Tubby's contract might be a hot topic.

Most likely we'll see over-reactionary responses to whatever Minnesota does in these 4 games, but ultimately dancing will be most dependent on conference performance. Unless they really stink it up in nonconference (8-5 or worse), I'm thinking 9-9 in conference gives them a good shot at making the tourney.

In answer to your question, the answer would be no. This is regardless is they were to sweep through the non-conference schedule or if they struggle. Just two seasons ago the Gophers looked prime for a huge year-then Joseph quit the team, Nolen got hurt, and let's not relive that any more. On the flip side, barring a disastrous non-conference showing, the Gophers could have a few losses in the preseason and come out in fine shape.

As it does for any season, it'll be what occurs in the Big Ten season that determines the fate of the Gophers and their tourney chances. 9-9 seems to be a bit conservative, although it's foolish to venture forth with a prediction without first seeing the team's schedule and then seeing how they and their conference brethren do in the non-conference. It does seem to me that the Gophers might finally have a squad where we can expect each home game to be a win; even if they cannot accomplish that, if they go 8-1 or 7-2 at home, it does seem to set them up well for at least a 10 win conference record. The voice that keeps sounding in my head tells me the Gophers need a minimum of 11 wins in conference to be nationally relevant (both in top 25 presence and in recruiting).

We have a big time team this year.
I would expect us to lose only 4-5 games total this year.
Don't be surprised if you wake up in late March to find us in the final 4.

My conservative (somewhere between high-end and low-end), way-too-early formula/prognostication for the Gophers would be:

10-3 pre-B1G -- either 3-2 in the 5 biggies (vs. Duke, vs. B4A TBD x 2, @ FSU, @ USC) with an unexpected loss somewhere (Richmond or Jackrabbits maybe?) or 2-3 in the 5 biggies with no unexpected losses.

11-7 in B1G =

21-10 heading to Chicago for B1G Tournament; no bubble worries.

#6 or #7 NCAA seed could improve with strong showing in Chicago.

Most likely we'll see over-reactionary responses to whatever Minnesota does in these 4 .

Absolutely true.

If the Gophers go 4-0, Final Four talk will run rampant. If they go 0-4 (or even 1-3), there will be catcalls wanting Tubby fired on the spot.

I think it will set a pattern, I think anything more than 3 NC loses could indicate trouble, any less might signal good things to come, you can really take yourself off the bubble by only losing two or less in NC play, my expectations are 3 losses, just don't have an ugly loss.

I think we'll get stronger as the season wears on like last year. Dre's just starting his Soph year & he'll have some ups & downs against the top tier teams which will lead to countless "Has Dre regressed?" & "I told you he's not a true PG" threads. By the end of the year he'll be playing like an upperclassman & we'll have momentum going into the tourney regardless of seed.

With our tough non-conference this year I think if we end the season with 20 wins and 8 big ten wins that will be strong enough to get the gophers in. We have a high SOS which should really help. That being said, no it won't be determined before December, what we do in conference obviously dictates if we make the tournament more than non-conference.

Absolutely true.

If the Gophers go 4-0, Final Four talk will run rampant. If they go 0-4 (or even 1-3), there will be catcalls wanting Tubby fired on the spot.

You are 100% spot on. that being said, I will be surprised if the gophers don't make the NCAA tourney this year.

By the way....excellent post GW.

I hate to sound like chicken little, but I am going to anyways. There has been a lot of criticism over Tubby's slow rate of play. With our best player in Smith's tenure at Minnesota losing eligibility after this season, it is fair to say that we should make the NCAA tournament. It is not unreasonable to assume that we could even win a few games in the tournament. However, if we fail to even make the NCAA tournament once again....the sky is going to fall.

Top Bottom