Rick Majerus passes away

BleedGopher

Reaction score

High risk / reward hire with Rick M - Hope he gets his condition under control.

Multiple tweets reporting that Rick Majerus has passed away this evening.

Very sad; great guy. Likely would have been Gopher coach if not for the Tubby hire.

Sad news. Great college coach.

This is a shame. He always came across like a good guy. He's said to have rode his players hard, but in a way that made guys want to play harder for him, not check out. I'd worried about his health for years due to his size and past history.

Always thought he'd be a Gopher coach one day, great coach and a great interviewee.

Very sad, great coach. Had a great run in Utah.

I believe his passing deserved it's own thread with the news of his passing in the title.

He knew a lot about the game, players and others programs. He lived for the game, which I respect.

I wanted him when we hired Tubby, badly. Great coach.

...but I understand why the U didn't hire him. Besides the health concerns, he's just a bit (or a lot) too "colorful" for someone like Joel Maturi. Can you imagine Badger Joel dealing with Rick Majerus? I'm sure Joel couldn't either.

Classic Majerus on the 96' Kentucky team: "They had all McDonald's All-Americans. I had 4 guys who didn't have a McDonald's in their town."

Shooter Now: Rick Majerus loved St. Paul

Rick Majerus loved St. Paul.

"The great food places," said former University of St. Thomas basketball star Dennis Fitzpatrick, a longtime confidant of the college coach who died Saturday, Dec. 1, from a heart condition. "The last three years, we must have been to Tavern on Grand about 20 times. He loved the walleye there."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom